Joy-American Diner

disneylover89

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 7:57 PM, Alynna715 said:

It was pretty good. Probably not worth using a dining credit. The lobster roll was very good. 

IMG_8235.jpg

Well then, how much was the lobster roll if purchased a la carte?

If a dining credit was used, wouldn't the lobster roll be your appetizer (more than 1 appetizer allowed if wanted) and then you would still be able to order an entrée and a dessert (more than 1 dessert allowed if wanted)?  That is a pretty good meal and something a little different than dining room meals. The only down side is that you would have to have lunch as your big meal because the restaurant closes at 5pm

Edited by disneylover89

Four of us did the American Diner last week.   I had OBC so did not use it as part of the dining plan.   The four of us shared a nacho - did not really care for it, the "goodies" were all dumped in one section and the little bit of chili that was on it made it very soggy, we didn't finish it.    The cheese sticks were good.    Lobster roll was different than the Ocean Blue window on other ships, this one wasn't  really a lobster salad, but rather pieces of whole lobster and the sauce on top is spicy.  I was warned it was a little spicy, but I would say it was medium spicy.   Good but other ships excellent, all a matter of taste.   Two people got the Fried Chicken, wow, what a huge platter of food.  Everything on the plate was excellent and worth the $9, three pieces of juicy fried chicken.   

• Like 1

I do love me some fried chicken 🙂

Word on the street is that it is free for Haven guests for lunch on Day 1.  Also that they have breakfast served here as an alternate location in the morning, same items as you would find in the buffet and no cost for breakfast.  Not sure if it is open for breakfast on Port Days.

The nachos were as cold as the pools, and the fried chicken was dripping in old grease. The mac and cheese was decent. Most of the time the place was utterly deserted. I went in to take a picture out the window one time, and I startled the guy on the front desk. He seemed surprised that someone had actually come in. Go to Cagney's. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

The nachos were as cold as the pools, and the fried chicken was dripping in old grease. The mac and cheese was decent. Most of the time the place was utterly deserted. I went in to take a picture out the window one time, and I startled the guy on the front desk. He seemed surprised that someone had actually come in. Go to Cagney's. 

Margaritaville part deux? Nachos were cold there too on the Getaway earlier this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomservo said:

Margaritaville part deux? Nachos were cold there too on the Getaway earlier this year.

It is like they don't know how to use their microwave or something. 'Bing!' Dinners ready.

That plastic cheese that they use is pretty horrible when it is straight out of the can and hasn't been warmed up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

It is like they don't know how to use their microwave or something. 'Bing!' Dinners ready.

That plastic cheese that they use is pretty horrible when it is straight out of the can and hasn't been warmed up.

It's a shame because we were really looking forward to the volcano nachos. What we got was an island of nachos surrounded by an ice cold moat of watery carnival cheese. They should consider putting doors on Margaritaville for when the weather is cold (this was on the Getaway out of NYC).

7 minutes ago, tomservo said:

It's a shame because we were really looking forward to the volcano nachos. What we got was an island of nachos surrounded by an ice cold moat of watery carnival cheese. They should consider putting doors on Margaritaville for when the weather is cold (this was on the Getaway out of NYC).

What it comes down to is the ship's Hotel Managers aren't doing their jobs. I had the same meal two times at Cagney's, and the same cut of steak was cooked totally differently each time. One was cremated, and the other was cooked the way I had asked. The cremated one should never have been sent out. Poor QA. That means the senior chef either isn't training his crew properly, or the crew don't give a damn, and know they can get away with sending out Golden Corral coupon day food. Who does the senior chef report to? The Hotel Manager.

I served in a foreign navy, and spent a lot of my 'spare' time working in the Junior Sailors Mess. Our chefs were truly gifted. They could turn very mediocre ingredients into stuff you wouldn't want to serve to a Junior Sailor who had no choice but to eat it or go hungry. On the other hand, the exact same ingredients went to the Senior Sailors and Officers Messes, and they ate like kings. We used to fight to do cleanup duty for the Officers Mess. We used to eat their leftovers when the cooks would bring it out to the loading dock out the back where we were supposed to throw it all into the dumpsters. We ate it all. Every bit. With our hands. Almost nothing was ever thrown away at the Senior Sailors Mess. The cooks used to take it home for themselves. We used to get one good meal a week. That was on Sunday after Church Parade when the cooks would often do a barbeque because families were invited to attend, and a few Officers would turn up to put on a happy face. We used to eat off their plates after they had finished. It was awesome. Have you ever physically fought for food? I have.

Do you think the Captain and XO get served cremated steak, and cold plastic cheese on their nacho's? You and I know they don't. But no one cares if the Junior Sailors, I mean passengers do, so long as they keep booking cabins, and not too many people get sick from the raw duck.

• Like 2

I thought earlier in the week as well that American Diner is perhaps another "gimmick" like Margaritaville. 

When I was on the Escape I would go into Margaritavaille (or however it is spelled!) to get some drinks- I rarely saw more than 1 or 2 people eating the food. They probably would have not even cared and let me take food if I wanted come to think of it- but I didn't-

Uptown Grill when I was on the Breakaway was a success in '13 and '14 (different menus each time) and they probably saw that and turned it into a money (making) venue- great idea if you have people in it !