Has anyone tried using hitch ( Uber type taxi service) in Bermuda?

DebbieB

9 hours ago, DebbieB said:

I’m going horseback riding while in Bermuda in November and need to arrive on time in the morning. Just wondering if hitch is reliable or if it’s better to take a taxi

Hitch is a taxi dispatch app. When you use Hitch you are calling a taxi. It is not an Uber ride share service. You get charged a 15% surcharge over the metered taxi rate. There are mixed reports on Hitch reliability, some Bermudians call it Glitch . One regular poster here has good luck with it.  In any case if you are going early in the morning, for example before 8:30 am and want a taxi at a set time I would pre arrange a taxi by calling the taxi dispatch company. I would not rely either on Hitch or on taxis being available at the dock at early morning times. One of my friends who had early tee time always had to prearrange before 8:30. Another who went to early mass had to pre arrange to have a taxi very early in the morning. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

One regular poster here has good luck with it.

I feel like this is my cue!

We've had good luck with it except for one time on the island where the whole system was down for a few days. Otherwise it seems to work reasonably well. I acknowledge thats not been everyones experience especially in the beginning. 

We use it in situations where it would be difficult to get a taxi or it would detract from our enjoyment to make a phone call-- we go to some out of the way beaches or if we are finishing drinks somewhere and don't want to sit on a cell phone with a taxi company. We tend to just grab a taxi when we are outside a hotel or other place where they are easier to find or already cued up.  

The other major benefit is that you can use a credit card instead of being reliant on cash if you just hail a taxi. This has made it worth it to us as well in certain situations where we weren't carrying enough cash. 

Pricing example on Hitch from the last time we were on the island a couple months ago to give you an idea:

Rosewood Hotel Tuckers Point to Hamilton Princess downtown-- 7.62 miles, 19 minutes traveling, 1 minute waiting. 

Fare: $30.63

Tip: $4.00

Technology fee: $0.99

Total fare charged: $35.62

• Like 1