Sojourn - Caribbean: When your vacation plans get trumped

Emperor Norton

I like tea. It’s a more formal style where’s there’s no self service component. It took 3 minutes before a few customers chimped out over the change. 

No bartenders at trivia. Thankfully were only playing for fun as the CD fully believes San Francisco is the worlds largest landlocked harbor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emperor Norton said:

No bartenders at trivia. Thankfully were only playing for fun as the CD fully believes San Francisco is the worlds largest landlocked harbor. 

To be fair, having just done a search, so does the Internet. If it's not San Francisco .. what is it? 

Excellent news about a) Chef Jes being on board and b) the new tea service. Perhaps slightly less excellent news that caviar privileges are being .. stretched. 

Edited by rols

1 hour ago, Emperor Norton said:

Stretched as in some people may be over consuming (eg 6 orders for 2 people pre dinner, more with and more after). 

Perhaps some form of policing is needed. You can only order from your waiter X times per day, for instance. Or give out a several "Caviar Cards" that you hand to your waiter. It would have your name and suite number. You cannot give the card to someone else.

I'm sure some of you have other ideas.

17 minutes ago, Videopark said:

Perhaps some form of policing is needed. You can only order from your waiter X times per day, for instance. Or give out a several "Caviar Cards" that you hand to your waiter. It would have your name and suite number. You cannot give the card to someone else.

I'm sure some of you have other ideas.

Not sure I agree....try replacing the word caviar with Champagne.  If Seabourn starts down that path, it would be a sad change.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johng75370 said:

Not sure I agree....try replacing the word caviar with Champagne.  If Seabourn starts down that path, it would be a sad change.  

I read somewhere that you may not get a bottle of Champagne delivered to your suite only glasses. Seems some pax loaded their suitcase so full with full bottles that they could not pick it up. 

Can you order bottles to a suite?

2 hours ago, Videopark said:

We were able to a few years ago; only time we asked.  The difference of course is that you can still order as much Champagne as you want, maybe not in the container you'd prefer.  And of course wine bottles they seem very happy to resupply.  

• Like 1

Emperor Norton: I can't thank you enough, informative and fun to read.

San Francisco 'land-locked'!? 

"Cruise ships arriving in San Francisco dock at the cruise port terminal between the Fisherman’s Wharf and the Bay Bridge at Pier 35 and Pier 27."

The Piers are just around the corner from The Bridge...If a bridge at the entrance locks off the sea..... then so is Sydney Harbour 'land-locked'.

How can water be 'land-locked' if a Cruise ship can go in there!?   

Every single harbour is 'landlocked', at the back!

Anyway, if you go to the internet, you'll see the article chooses to define 'landlocked' as 'virtually enclosed': which is, for all practical purposes, the definition of a 'harbour'.

Those CDs can be so vexing sometimes... Some of them just don't get it about how seriously we take Team Trivia.

PS  Why doesn't Seabourn go to San Francisco?  It doesn't even go to Seattle (we were on the only time that, as far as I know,  it did, and that was so the Staff could have a party on board).

5 hours ago, Videopark said:

I read somewhere that you may not get a bottle of Champagne delivered to your suite only glasses. Seems some pax loaded their suitcase so full with full bottles that they could not pick it up. 

"Seems some pax loaded their suitcase so full with full bottles that they could not pick it up".  Well, these days you wheel it, not pick it up. And our suitcases are so full after a cruise that I'm leaving things behind.   And, what's the good of a suitcase half-full of the Nicholas if you're getting off in Singapore and then have to try to fly with it to, say, Sydney; or wherever?  I think we've got a cruise version of an urban-myth here.  Anyway, getting a bottle of a late- evening is snack: you just order a glass or two and then again and after a while a different waiter (it's always a different one) arrives with a bottle.

The only time I know of when it was taken off the ship in excess of a passenger's entitlement was mainly my doing.   Three to four years ago, the Quest managed to get us into South Georgia Island.  Young scientists from the research station who'd been there half a year or so came on board for lunch.  There is, of course, no store on the Island and we quickly learnt that the supply-ship delivers very little wine etc., if any and also that one of them was having a birthday that day.   I mentioned this in the Dining Room to a number of fellows I knew and after we  had gone back to our rooms and returned shortly we had two backpacks with three of the Nicholas in each.   Nothing leaves the Island: and so am delighted the six empties from that night are still there.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, alithecat said:

What location is the caviar in the surf? Wondering if that's where ours will be next week on the Sojourn.

Ours will be at Isla Catalina on Saturday....can't wait!

Thanks for the pics Emperor Norton - didn't need help getting excited to join Sojourn next week, but your pics did just that.

Edited by johng75370
typo

4 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Ours will be at Isla Catalina on Saturday....can't wait!

Thanks for the pics Emperor Norton - didn't need help getting excited to join Sojourn next week, but your pics did just that.

Have you been to Isla Catalina previously for caviar in the surf? I hadn't seen it on itineraries for quite some time, but I do recall in early 2013 the reviews weren't too good, and then it popped up on our cruise next week.

Would be good to hear an update from someone who has visited more recently.

alithecat

I believe that Emperor Norton is at Carambola Beach, St Kitts, which is one of my favourite locations for the event.