NEW WAVE NO ALCOHOL COCKTAILS

koalapanda

We have just received our new copy of the HERALD. One of the interesting articles is headed as "New Wave No Alcohol Cocktails. New distilled no alcohol spirits, it is a most intriguing article. Whilst I enjoy a tipple the description of taste and enjoyment of these new bevarages sound very appealing.

Have any recent Seabourn Cruisers tasted these cocktails?

44 minutes ago, dalliowner said:

From my experience HO very often does not know what is happening  on the ships

I hope my contact is wrong about this, but he is an executive of Restaurant & Bar Operations for Seabourn.

I hope that Seabourn does start stocking some of the nonalcoholic spirits like Seedlip and Stryyk as well as some of the better nonalcoholic beer options now widely available (from the very basic Heineken 0.0 to some of the more craft-style IPAs, porters, and stouts coming out from US, UK, and German breweries.

The number of individuals giving up alcohol for various reasons is growing.  We’ve cut it out at home and so knowing it would be easier to stay social on Seabourn without major disruption to our lifestyle is a major plus.

• Like 1

The fact that SB Herald has a prominent article on this topic is encouraging; it is very strange that the feature story is not linked to the rollout of the featured products - talk about lack of synergy and cause of confusion and bewilderment for us!

I agree it is high time; hopefully it's just a matter of time.  (We can certainly help speed things along by voicing our opinion to SB HQ as well as on the ships.)

Edited by sfvoyage

It is very disappointing to hear that the article prempted the roll out of this fantastic inclusion on Seabourn ships. We are sure there are many Seabourn Cruisers who would welcome these non alcoholic bevarages. As I previously mentioned we do take a tipple, but we would love to have these drinks included in our onboard pleasure. Some days you just do not feel like alcohol but enjoy the flavours of a distilled spirit cocktail. (yes! drink water, juice ,coffee, tea).Of these we drink copious amounts daily ).

These non alcoholic beverages also give an inclusiveness socially to those who choose or cannot drink alcohol .

We are not complaining about what we get for our money, we appreciate Seabourn's genorosity and are generally satisfied loyal guests. Just the thought of returning to Cruise with Seabourn is a very happy thought. 

Do you think these drinks are a feasible inclusion?

Out of curiosity I googled Seedlip. Well, I read a lot of mixed to negative reviews.  In any case, I am curious to try it. At the same time, regardless if and when Seabourn will roll out their products, it would be great if Seabourn would implement interesting mocktail recipes. As others have noted, alcohol consumption is on a downward trend, especially among younger consumers who will become the new generation of Seabourn customers in the future.

I'd like more info too as I no longer receive the Herald, despite contacting SB three times to ask for them to start sending it again. It's been more than a year since my last request and still no Herald so I've now resigned myself to not getting it.

back to the actual topic,

I'm interested in this. Not so much on shorter cruises but on 14 day plus itineraries I tend to get fed up of drinking alcohol day after day. I drink plenty of water but I don't drink Coke etc so water can get rather boring! 
I would welcome something different to try that hopefully tastes like an adult beverage but without actual alcohol. 

• Like 1

I agree with everyone noted above.  But, remember, one of the "selling points" of a Seabourn cruise is the unlimited alcoholic beverages both in the bars as well as your suite. Thusly, non-alcoholic mocktails are a cost savings for SB.  Could this savings be reflected in abandonment of the Retreat folly?  I would hope so.  But, probably not.

SB no doubt gets their alcohol and other beverages at wholesale and duty-free cost.  Non-alcoholic cocktails are not necessarily a cost savings for SB.  Seedlip, for instance, retails for $37.50 a bottle in the US.  Fresh fruit and veggie juices are not cheap, especially factoring in the labour cost, should SB choose to incorporate fresh juices in their non-alcoholic beverage selection in the future...

2 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Last night in the Obs Bar the lady next to me asked Nigel to surprise her w/ a non alcoholic drink, she loved it.  The bartenders can accommodate any request for a mocktail if you simply ask.

The problem that I have with most mocktails is that they are too much similar to fruit juice, which I don't drink. They don't taste to me like an adult beverage, rather a too sweet fruity concoction. 

I do ask for one occasionally but invariably find myself disappointed. 

Seedlip is popular in my area of the UK - lots of people here are gin drinkers so within our social group it's often the first choice of the designated driver.

Opinion about how good it is appears rather divided.

I don't like gin so have never tried any of the Seedlip options.

Stryyk makes a no alcohol vodka (as well as gin and rum). I'm a vodka drinker, unfortunately I don't care for the taste of Stryyk. It just doesn't hit the spot! 

I have enjoyed non-alcoholic cocktails in the bar at a Four Seasons Hotel that rivaled any drink with alcohol I have ever had.  These were not proprietary mixes or bottled concoctions, but rather individually mixed by a well trained bartender. Like others, I limit my intake of alcohol and would welcome drinks that taste similar.  

16 hours ago, Isklaar said:
2 hours ago, Isklaar said:

The problem that I have with most mocktails is that they are too much similar to fruit juice, which I don't drink. They don't taste to me like an adult beverage, rather a too sweet fruity concoction. 

I do ask for one occasionally but invariably find myself disappointed. 

We agree totally Isklaar, Mocktails are generally very sugary. Apart from not being of our taste and being totally off limits if you have Diabetes or other blood sugar health issues.

It is very pleasing to read posts which relate to thoughts of wether with considered opinion and thought the feasibility of these specific distilled non alcoholic beverage is a possibility. 

Apart from our pleasure there is a business point of view.

A thought just occurred to us , as guests often request specialty drinks pre cruise, do CC posters think Seabourn would consider request orders of these new Non Alcholic bevarages for their Bars ?

Edited by koalapanda
incl
  • Like 2

From Seedlip website “Seedlip are transparent about their ingredients, but as they are the first people to make Distilled Non-Alcoholic Spirits, they can’t share all the details of their methods!”

A non-spirit spirit distillery that is so transparent about their ingredients that they can’t tell you what you’re drinking. OMG sounds like the US Government. Easier method when trying to drink socially: Vodka tonic Please - hold the vodka.

11 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Vodka tonic Please - hold the vodka.

Raphael360 your order is pertinent to us we are cruising the tropics. The Quinine in the tonic was once thought to prevent malaria. Make that a double please.

I am still keen to try the said Sedlip or Stryyk.

Edited by koalapanda
pnc

18 hours ago, Able Seaman H said:

Seedlip and a good tonic like Fever tree would be be a very welcome addition. I have a bottle of Spice 94 on the go at present. A "grown up" alcohol free drink.

Henry 🙂

That’s Old Spice you’ve got Henry.

its aftershave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, koalapanda said:

Thanks for the tip Henry that sounds like a great proposal for Seabourn to follow up.

Meanwhile I shall search out a bottle of Spice 94.

Koala I have also been intrigued by the article and did some research. I went to a Champagne tasting at my local Dan Murphy's last evening, which included some Krug and smaller boutique growers. I asked about the Seedlip and was told they do some tastings occasionally and will let me know when the next one is on. Interestingly she preferred the citrus, then spice 94 and not a fan of the herbal.

Maybe check if a Dan Murphy near you does tastings?

Julie

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

Maybe check if a Dan Murphy near you does tastings?

Hi Julie, so kind of you to pass on this information. I will certainly enquire as we also have a local Dan Murphy which is pretty up market.

We have some great boutique growers throughout the country these days, I gather you enjoyed the tasting.

Taste is the word , we are always looking to tickle our taste buds and being non alcholic a good alternative for a refreshing beverage, especially in warmer climes.