TimeZone Changes for TransAtlantic Crossings

OK, for those that will change times on their iPhones/iPads and other similar devices and require a city location to set the time, or if you use a Fitbit and other devices that require your iPhone type to change times, it can get tricky crossing the Atlantic and finding a city in each mid-Atlantic time zone. I found the following to use:

London for departing Southampton BT 00GMT

Reykjavik for next time zone -1 GMT

Praia Cabo Verde -2 GMT

Nuuk Greenland - -3 GMT

Halifax Canada - -4 GMT

FLL/Miami/New York - -5 GMT

Den

Edited by Denny01

That's a very helpful list. It used to be easy to simply dial in any time that you wanted, which when cruising was simply ship's time, but the current OS's requirement for a city name to establish a time zone isn't as helpful when ship's time differs from local time.

For anyone looking at other itineraries, or simply wondering if it's a good time to phone your aunt in Adelaide, this webpage offers excellent information on all things time or date related: https://www.timeanddate.com

13 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m not sure I would care if my phone had the correct time...especially since it will be in the safe. 🙂

I guess the increased use of the app onboard has increased the desire to carry the phone at all times.

We keep the phones in airplane mode until reaching the US.

Then switch out of airplane mode and the phone automatically sets the correct time.

Don't worry about what time it says during the cruise.

I still use a quartz "analog" watch with hands !!!

• Like 1

I've found it helpful to use my weather app. I add cities for my home city and cities we're going to be going. It always show the weather but also the local time in each city. On TAs the ship will change ship time as you go so you end up on the correct time when you arrive. 

I screwed up the time last night.    Currently on Edge and last night we turned our clocks back for Daylight Savings Time.   To update my Fitbit I manually change the time from Athens to Rome (currently in Greece).   All was fine until this morning our butler arrived an hour early with breakfast (so I thought).    Our Iphone's automatically shifted to Daylight Savings time even though I had Automatic Time turned off.     Oh well all is good again today once I shifted back to Athens.

Thanks for the Time Zones.   I have a number of them already saved on my Phone so will refer to your list if I run into a problem. 

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I screwed up the time last night.    Currently on Edge and last night we turned our clocks back for Daylight Savings Time.   To update my Fitbit I manually change the time from Athens to Rome (currently in Greece).   All was fine until this morning our butler arrived an hour early with breakfast (so I thought).    Our Iphone's automatically shifted to Daylight Savings time even though I had Automatic Time turned off.     Oh well all is good again today once I shifted back to Athens.

Thanks for the Time Zones.   I have a number of them already saved on my Phone so will refer to your list if I run into a problem. 

DST is not till next weekend in the US.  Does greece or italy have DST?  I did not realize they did or did you turn back your clock in anticipation for coming home?

Edited by rimmit

On 10/25/2019 at 1:23 PM, Denny01 said:

OK, for those that will change times on their iPhones/iPads and other similar devices and require a city location to set the time, or if you use a Fitbit and other devices that require your iPhone type to change times, it can get tricky crossing the Atlantic and finding a city in each mid-Atlantic time zone. I found the following to use:

Praia Cabo Verde -2 GMT

Nuuk Greenland - -3 GMT

Halifax Canada - -4 GMT

Den

Good to know thank you!

15 minutes ago, rimmit said:

DST is not till next weekend in the US.  Does greece or italy have DST?  I did not realize they did or did you turn back your clock in anticipation for coming home?

Europe ended DST on Oct 27, one week earlier than the US.

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

The complete EU changed to DST last night (a week before the US).   We will be turning our clocks back another hour when we depart Katakolon, Greece tomorrow night.    Greece is one hour + from Central European time. 

• 1 year later...
53 minutes ago, mzhibbs said:

We are hoping to take our first TA April 2022.  Going from FLL to BCN I believe 8 nights at sea going across.  Does the ship time change each day?

A typical transatlantic crosses five time zones, so the clocks will be adjusted five times each way.

On QM2, the eastbound adjustments were applied at noon - that abruptly became 1PM.

Westbound adjustments were made at night.

Your captain / cruise line may elect to do both changes at night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mzhibbs said:

We are hoping to take our first TA April 2022.  Going from FLL to BCN I believe 8 nights at sea going across.  Does the ship time change each day?

The total cloxs will be 6 hours, as Barcelona is Z+1, or Z+2 for daylight saving time. Assuming you are stopping in the Azores, which are Z-1, you will have 4 hrs difference, before the Azores.

Cloxs are traditionally moved at 02:00, but on Eastbound sailings many cruise ship Masters make the change at Noon, as compliance with crew time-off is easier to manage. When clox are required is determined by the Navigator, with primary reason being arriving at the correct timezone and secondly keeping Meridian Altitude (when sun is at max altitude) close to Noon ship's time. Steaming due East at 20 kts requires an hour per night, but slower speeds on NE/SE courses may only require 1/2 hr or cloxs every 2 or 3 nights.

If stopping at the Azores, you will require 2 more hours before Barcelona.

• 6 months later...
On 10/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, Denny01 said:

Praia Cabo Verde -2 GMT

Nuuk Greenland - -3 GMT

Halifax Canada - -4 GMT

That is good - but does not go far enough afield for setting my iPhone/iPad...

One the ship pulls away from the dock I put the iPhone in airplane mode and leave it there till we complete the cruise - but one still have to know when dinner is being served...

Here are the iPhone time cities I have found - headed east or west from the great State of Texas (Central Time)...

Hopefully by the end of my traveling days I will have used all of these - working on it.

East Bound

CT Dallas, TX

ET New York, NY

Hamilton - Bermuda

Nuuk - Greenland

Fernando de Noronha (Distrito Estadual) - Brazil or Grytviken - So. Georgia & So. Sandwich Isl.

Praia - Cape Verde or Ponta Delgada - Portugal or 

London - United Kingdom

Munich - Germany or Rome - Italy

Istanbul - Turkey

Jeddah - Saudi Arabia or Sana'a - Yemen

Salalah - Oman or Sur - Oman or Victoria - Seychelles

Bangalore - India or Malé - Maldives

Cox's Bazar - Bangladesh or Khulna - Bangladesh

Jakarta - Indonesia or Bangkok - Thailand

Albany - Australia or Perth - Australia or Port Hedland - Australia or Kaohsiung - Taiwan

West Bound

CT - Dallas, TX

MT - Denver, CO

PT - San Diego, San Jose, CA - or Seattle, WA

Anchorage, AK - or Ketchikan, AK -

Adak, AK

Hilo, HI - United States or Faaa - French Polynesia or Avarua - Cook Islands

Pago Pago - American Samoa or 

Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy - Russia or Majuro - Marshall Islands or Suva - Fiji or Wellington - New Zealand

Noumea - New Caledonia or Honiara - Solomon Islands

Melbourne - Australia or Port Moresby - Papua New Guinea or Saipan - Northern Mariana Islands

Alice Springs - Australia or Darwin - Australia or Naha - Japan

Albany - Australia or Perth - Australia or Port Hedland - Australia or Kaohsiung - Taiwan