Halifax to Peggy’s Cove

dszrew

3 hour taxi to Peggy’s Cove and back was only $152cn. Taxi driver pointed out some things as we went, drove by the titanic graveyard on the way back. Easy way to see it and cheaper than the bus tour. It’s a fixed price advertised at the pier. Can do another hour of the city for $203. 

Cheaper and an all around better tour can be provided for a small group using "Halifax Historical Titanic Tours" with Paul McNeill...Just amazing and one of the best we've used...Highly recommended.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:26 PM, Nitemare said:

Cheaper to rent a car, though

Only cheaper if you book far enough in advance and you are ok walking to the rental location. We didn’t want to plan ahead and my wife couldn’t walk that far. Hadn’t seen any mention of this on the boards so it’s another option. We like being on our own and can tell a private driver to stop or go as we want. 

• Like 1

We think planning ahead is always a good idea, so we can save money and do exactly what we want to do.  sometimes it works out that one person can walk to get the car and then pickup the other traveler.  Or uber/taxi is an option to get there.

there actually are quite a few threads here discussing car rentals from Halifax

Edited by Nitemare

I will say in Halifax if you didn’t prebook something there wasn’t much available. Two ships in port and some of the things on the dock already closed as we were a bit late in the season. Grey Line was there but only had the HOHO bus available. So for not booking ahead, the taxi worked out well. It was nice to see the posted rates so there was no negotiation nor disagreements on price. 

I’ve always obsessively planned but lately have left more ports unplanned so we can discover things and be a bit more flexible. I prebook things we definitely want to see, but have had some enjoyable things we’ve done that we might not have otherwise if we’d booked ahead. 

• 2 weeks later...

It has probably been 3 years, but we took the ship tour to Peggy's Cove and the Titanic Gravesite for, if I recall correctly, $65 (USD) apiece. Normally we book independently, but in this case, I was very glad it was a ship tour as we returned 10 min. after "all aboard" call time.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Peggy's Cove in the month of July on our sailing on the QM2.

It was a 3/4 day tour to Peggy's Cove tour with several stops in between before proceeding back to Halifax.

The tour was by bus that also included a lobster lunch at the restaurant at the Peggy's Cove called Sowester's . It across the road from the lighthouse.

Unfortunately I have to report that the lobster lunch was really not worth the effort. Either the restaurant handles too many bus tours that day but the quality was very very disappointing. Not what you would expect from a Nova Scotia lobster. Not preparing a quality lobster properly wrong. It was key point of the tour everyone was looking forward after viewing Peggy's Cove.

Most people take a look, photos and then stay awhile and move on to view the town.

If you want a keepsake there is a gift shop inside the restaurant.

The town is like any fishmen's cove in New England. Can't really say if it's a tourist trap to help the locals.

I know it's known also for a location where a famous airline crash took place near it and it is stated with a plaque placed by the lighthouse area.

We have visited Halifax a number of times and this time we thought it would be a good idea to consider it. I would not return again to Peggy's Cove.

If we considered a tour again in Halifax maybe Lunenburg would be researched.

Reason for the bus tour was to make sure we returned to the ship on time.

BTW...the other stop was at a Maple Syrup Company retail shop to see a film how maple syrup is made and chance to purchase products.