Have you ever lost your cruise card while in port?

DaffyddeDoake

That dreaded moment of panic sets in as you are walking back to your ship and you start checking your pockets for your cruise card to get past security and back onto your ship.  It is not in the pocket you last remembered putting it in.  Nor any of your other pockets.  You've checked each 4 times before your spouse turns back to you and sees the panic on your face.  After she goes through your pockets...yet again, and gives you a piece of mind about having the map of the town in the same pocket as your cruise card...what are your options? (Side note - she had been very happy for the map when we were looking for a bathroom for her)

Turns out your best course of action is to go up to security and admit to loosing your card.  It does happen regularly.  I was the 5th person that day.  They walk you over to security, check your other ID, ask name and cabin #. Since they took your picture at the beginning, they use that to verify you.  After that, go to passenger service to get a new card. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, DaffyddeDoake said:

That dreaded moment of panic sets in as you are walking back to your ship and you start checking your pockets for your cruise card to get past security and back onto your ship.  It is not in the pocket you last remembered putting it in.  Nor any of your other pockets.  You've checked each 4 times before your spouse turns back to you and sees the panic on your face.  After she goes through your pockets...yet again, and gives you a piece of mind about having the map of the town in the same pocket as your cruise card...what are your options? (Side note - she had been very happy for the map when we were looking for a bathroom for her)

Turns out your best course of action is to go up to security and admit to loosing your card.  It does happen regularly.  I was the 5th person that day.  They walk you over to security, check your other ID, ask name and cabin #. Since they took your picture at the beginning, they use that to verify you.  After that, go to passenger service to get a new card. 

Yep, as long as you didn't have plastic surgery while in port you should be OK getting back on board.  Just don't be surprised to see the guy who stole your card in your room!   😀

No, but I did lose my driver's license once. It was in Key West. I was supposed to show it along with the card to get back on board, but they allowed me to board.

Weeks after I went to the expense back home to get a duplicate license, it came it the mail. I guess someone found it, and mailed it to me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DaffyddeDoake said:

...what are your options? ......

common sense explanations get you the extra screening procedures in place at cruise ports (or airports). There are no other "options."

BTW, can't find a bathroom? Get the SitOrSquat app on your cell phone.

1 hour ago, clo said:

You wear "mandals"?  Oh my.... 🙂

With socks.

Wayyyy back in 1974 I got a smokin' deal on a whole truckload of tube socks.  You know, the white ones with the three bands.  Red, blue, green.  Got em' all.

You'd be surprised at how much stuff you can cram down a sock that comes up to just below the knee!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

Oops, I forgot to add that!  No one's going to come close to that 🙂

My wife always asks why I have so much stuff crammed down in my socks.

Then, like Captain Obvious, I have to point out to her (every time) - my Speedo has no pockets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saw this happen of a lady wanting to catch tender back to ship from Stanley in Falkland Islands. She was talking to security, needed to show other ID and her photograph was checked on their screens. Told to go to Guest Services when back on ship to get replacement card. 

Seemed something that happened fairly regularly as security treated it as a ' non issue' !

On 10/26/2019 at 9:54 AM, DryCreek said:

How come no one has mentioned the ultimate security device?  The much derided lanyard.

My son had his card in a lanyard, and it slipped right out of the plastic pouch. This was on an MSC Cruise in Barcelona, Spain. We returned to the cruise terminal a few hours early, thinking that it would be a time consuming process to get back on the ship without his card, but it wasn’t. We walked right up to a cruise line employee who had a printed passenger list. She looked up our son’s name and then verified ID (thankfully I was carrying his passport with me). 

We then proceeded to the security point where cards are normally swiped.  The agent just typed our cabin number and with that, he was able to pull up our son’s photo and check him boarded. From there, we went straight to guest services onboard the ship where new cards were issued for the whole family. 

Overall, losing the card was mildly inconvenient, but it wasn’t the terrible disaster that I envisioned when it first happened. Another thing that I learned was that it’s smart to have some sort of ID for children when going ashore, in case something like this happens. Having an ID for my son expedited things. 

True Story

In Grand Cayman, used my ship card as a security deposit on chairs/umbrellas.

At the beach, my 2 Teen boys got over served and were barely able to walk.

In a panic in wanting to get them back to the ship, I forgot to reclaim my card and found myself at the entrance of the ship with drunk teen boys and no ID.

Fortunately with some confusion caused by my having to almost carry one of my boys I was able to sneak past security without my ID.

And as you can imagine, just before the ship sailed, I hear my name being called on the PA to come to the pursers desk (mainly to make sure I was onboard).  I told them I lost my card and got a new one.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think he was trying to say they got drunk - so it was the fault of the bar tender, who didn’t notice when they had too much.

I just checked and see the legal drinking age is 18 not 21.  Too bad dad wasn't around to monitor it.  Sounds like it could have been worse.

14 hours ago, Tapi said:

My son had his card in a lanyard, and it slipped right out of the plastic pouch. 

Carnival has a somewhat less polished, but apparently more effective method of attaching the card to lanyard - they punch a hole in it and use the clippy-thing to hold it.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 9:54 AM, DryCreek said:

How come no one has mentioned the ultimate security device?  The much derided lanyard.

Or, you could do like I do, keep the card in your left sock.  Since I'm wearing sandals, it's easy to get to.....

Socks with your sandals ?  —- hmmmmm, yes —- I can see why you might have to have a special way to keep track of your cruise card.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Socks with your sandals ?  —- hmmmmm, yes —- I can see why you might have to have a special way to keep track of your cruise card.

Well, as pointed out before, my Speedo doesn't have any pockets.