3 full days in Bermuda?

mets07

I find it interesting that NCL advertises 7 day Bermuda cruises out of NYC as having "3 full days in Bermuda" (radio ads in NYC area)  ..... we are on one in November and it arrives in Bermuda at 5pm one day and leaves Bermuda 3pm two days later (less than 48 hours). 

We will enjoy ourselves anyway but it is certainly not 3 full days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

One of my favorite cruises....Bermuda.  Buy a 2-day bus pass and use NCL’s water taxi.  

You are going to love it!

Thanks, graphicguy. We have been there multiple times and will enjoy, but something is "off" .... normally should arrive much earlier. 

Happy cruising. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mets07 said:

I find it interesting that NCL advertises 7 day Bermuda cruises out of NYC as having "3 full days in Bermuda" (radio ads in NYC area)  ..... we are on one in November and it arrives in Bermuda at 5pm one day and leaves Bermuda 3pm two days later (less than 48 hours). 

The last  cruises of the year, which sail after the traditional October end of the cruise season  are not on the same schedule. In season cruises arrive early Wednesday morning and leave mid Friday afternoon. Perhaps not three "full"days, but close enough.

Edited by njhorseman

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The last  cruises of the year, which sail after the traditional October end of the cruise season  are not on the same schedule. In season cruises arrive early Wednesday morning and leave mid Friday afternoon. Perhaps not three "full"days, but close enough.

In any case we are going but not sure I find 46 hours close enough to 3 full days. :classic_wink:

1 minute ago, mets07 said:

In any case we are going but not sure I find 46 hours close enough to 3 full days. :classic_wink:

I was commenting on the ad saying three full days because the ad is referring to  the standard cruise season itinerary, not yours, which is an exception...and "days" doesn't mean 24 hours in this context...it means three (almost full) daytime periods...Wednesday, Thursday and Friday on the standard itinerary.

Advertising for almost everything can't be taken literally. There's almost always at least something in an ad that's a stretch of the literal meaning of the words.

When we went in June 2018, we arrived early morning Wednesday and left Friday afternoon. I plan on going back at sometime, but want to explore other places for a few years. We enjoyed Bermuda, and feel we didn't get enough (got sick / cold). Next stop Bahamas, then Southern Caribbean, maybe an all inclusive.

10 hours ago, mets07 said:

I had a look at the Bermuda cruise ship schedule - there are 2 other ships at dock on Nov 6, and your cruise (Escape Nov 3) will need to wait until one of the ships leaves at 4pm before she can come in to dock. This is one-off for Escape.

But you'll enjoy Bermuda!

On our 2018 Halloween "Escape" to Bermuda - 2 ships were overnighting at Dockyard on our day of arrival.  We're doing donuts away from the coral reefs until one of them left, releasing the berth for us to come in - docking around 5 p.m.  It was listed as such in the detailed itinerary, but apparently not everyone READ it (fine prints) - sail away / all abroad time was extended for a full hour to give folks a little extra on day 3 there (last day) before coming back to NYC - still managed to get back super early for disembarkation.  

Not here to defend NCL's practice or wave the pom poms, I am sure NCL got themselves covered with the disclaimers, fine prints & detailed disclosure - along with the cruise contract, etc. when they run these advertised them, like the "Free At Seas" promotions.  

One of our nephew is going on the 5 days Bermuda Escape next month ... I reminded him to be prepared for a speed run with 2 days at Dockyard (oh, wait, it's actually only 43.5 hours ...)  all engines, ahead full - to be on-time. 

6 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

I see three ships in Bermuda on November 6th also. I see the Escape and Aida Diva docking at Heritage Wharf (King's Wharf), and Seven Seas Navigator docking at Pennos (St. Georges).

HEY!..what about ME?..I am sailing on the Norwegian Dawn.We arrive in Bermuda on Tuesday November 5 at around 8am and leave on Thursday November 7 at around the usually time of 3pm.  Our ship is sold out so that might why you dont see it on the NCL website

The Escape will be docking about 1 hour later after the Aida Diva leaves.

Due to the size, the Escape can only dock at Heritage Wharf. It can not dock at Kings Wharf like what the Dawn/Gem and other mid size ships can do

12 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

I see three ships in Bermuda on November 6th also. I see the Escape and Aida Diva docking at Heritage Wharf (King's Wharf), and Seven Seas Navigator docking at Pennos (St. Georges).

Make it 4 ships on the 6th Nov.

6 hours ago, shof515 said:

HEY!..what about ME?..I am sailing on the Norwegian Dawn.We arrive in Bermuda on Tuesday November 5 at around 8am and leave on Thursday November 7 at around the usually time of 3pm.  Our ship is sold out so that might why you dont see it on the NCL website

The Escape will be docking about 1 hour later after the Aida Diva leaves.

Due to the size, the Escape can only dock at Heritage Wharf. It can not dock at Kings Wharf like what the Dawn/Gem and other mid size ships can do

Sorry - my mistake/oversight! I had another look at the schedule …. yes, Seven Seas Navigator is at Pennos on 6th and 7th Nov, and the Dawn comes in on 5th Nov and docks at Kings Wharf for 2 nights until 7th Nov. Then on 6th Nov when AIDAdiva leaves Heritage Wharf, the Escape moves in to dock for 2 nights until 8th Nov.

It's a rare occurrence that TWO NCL ships will be docked at the Dockyard at the same time. Pity I won't be here to see that - I'll be on the Encore!

The schedule says the Dawn will depart at 3:30 pm on the 7th Nov.

23 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Just like NCL’s commercials they have running here in Detroit on our radio stations, “free air, free open bar, free excursions “ ....... uh huh ..... 

Exactly! but no one of course mentions the "gratuity fees" . Plus I'm sure the price increases over the years subsidize some of these things anyway.

48 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

The schedule says the Dawn will depart at 3:30 pm on the 7th Nov.

According to the official Bermuda cruise ship schedule ( https://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/YR 2019 Cruise Ship Schedule pdf.pdf

the Dawn arrives on Nov 5 at 830am and leaves on Nov 7 at 3:30pm

and according to my travel documents on the NCL website and my cruise confirmation, it says

arrival on Nov 5 at 8am and departure on Nov 7 at 3pm.

I dont know which time is correct. Seems odd the port schedule says we get in late and leave a lite late..soo strange and odd

Edited by shof515

14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

According to the official Bermuda cruise ship schedule ( https://www.marineandports.bm/Documents/Shipping_schedules/YR 2019 Cruise Ship Schedule pdf.pdf

the Dawn arrives on Nov 5 at 830am and leaves on Nov 7 at 3:30pm

and according to my travel documents on the NCL website and my cruise confirmation, it says

arrival on Nov 5 at 8am and departure on Nov 7 at 3pm.

I dont know which time is correct. Seems odd the port schedule says we get in late and leave a lite late..soo strange and odd

Believe your cruise documents. Port schedules are frequently wrong, even Bermuda's, which is one of the better ones. The Bermuda schedule had two Carnival ships confused earlier this year, interchanging their schedules and listing them as originating in the wrong ports.

Hardly a big deal . You're in port for same amount of time either way.

Edited by njhorseman

Just FYI...

On the 10/13/19 Escape cruise to Bermuda, AIDA was tendering in on Wednesday (first day docked).  RCCL was also docked with us.  The dockyard was extremely busy.  Locals/crew said that it was only the 2nd time AIDA tendered.  I don't recall seeing AIDA in the mix when I searched for who would be in port with us.  That explains why Horseshoe Bay was extremely crowded and everything else. Three ships at Dockyard.  AIDA left the next day...

Point:  Port Schedules may or not be accurate.  "Hard docking" may be valid, but "tendering" ships may not be reflected in schedule.

JMO 🙂

51 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Just FYI...

On the 10/13/19 Escape cruise to Bermuda, AIDA was tendering in on Wednesday (first day docked).  RCCL was also docked with us.  The dockyard was extremely busy.  Locals/crew said that it was only the 2nd time AIDA tendered.  I don't recall seeing AIDA in the mix when I searched for who would be in port with us.  That explains why Horseshoe Bay was extremely crowded and everything else. Three ships at Dockyard.  AIDA left the next day...

Point:  Port Schedules may or not be accurate.  "Hard docking" may be valid, but "tendering" ships may not be reflected in schedule.

JMO 🙂

Port schedules may have errors but they try to get it right. Tendering ships are listed on the schedule. Aidaluna was listed as Grassy Bay:Anchor. I recall reading that and feeling sorry for the Aida passengers. 

Edited by Charles4515

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Port schedules may have errors but they try. Tendering ships are listed on the schedule. Aidaluna was listed as Grassy Bay:Anchor. I recall reading that and feeling sorry for the Aida passengers. 

They had all the stops out for tendering passengers next to Calico Jacks.  Drinks, towels, food, music.  It was a party on the dock for Pax returning/leaving in Lifeboats!  I did not know AIDA would be there.  They were beside us at MCT before leaving.  Need to research better next time to include "tendering" ships at port.  LOL! 🙂

17 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

They had all the stops out for tendering passengers next to Calico Jacks.  Drinks, towels, food, music.  It was a party on the dock for Pax returning/leaving in Lifeboats!  I did not know AIDA would be there.  They were beside us at MCT before leaving.  Need to research better next time to include "tendering" ships at port.  LOL! 🙂

They used the ship's lifeboats not local Bermuda boats for the tendering?

2 hours ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Just FYI...

JMO 🙂

In this instance the AIDA ship was correctly listed on the official Bermuda port schedule as being in port that day, 10/16, at anchor in Grassy Bay .

Just got back from Bermuda /  NYC on Escape. Arrived at 9 am day one, full day two, back on board 2:30 day three. So not three full days. One full day and two partials.

We took the first NCL free ferry after we arrived. This was a mistake. It took way too long and had way too many people. Plus if you buy the bus ferry pass like we did there are better ferries which are free ( after you pay for the pass.) We wasted a lot of time on that free ferry right after we arrived which cut into the port time.

Also the last day we decided to hang near the Dockyard because of the departure time, but it was very crowded with both Escape and Disney Magic in port. We had been there before so not much to do there compared to the rest of the island.

16 minutes ago, salty dingo said:

We took the first NCL free ferry after we arrived. This was a mistake. It took way too long and had way too many people. Plus if you buy the bus ferry pass like we did there are better ferries which are free ( after you pay for the pass.) We wasted a lot of time on that free ferry right after we arrived which cut into the port time.

Why do you think that it took "way too long" and you wasted time? The NCL ferry between Dockyard and St. George doesn't take very much longer than the public ferry, so the difference in travel time would hardly put a dent into someone's activities for the day.

Now if you mean that the public ferry's schedule was better suited to your personal schedule that's another thing, but that doesn't make the public ferries "better" . 

Saying the public ferry was free after you buy the pass is like saying your car is free because you paid for it before you drove off the dealer's lot. :classic_dry:

• Like 1