Travel Insurance question

fefe

We are in our late 60’s and have booked travel insurance with the cruise line, however we’re thinking about adding some extra emergency medical insurance and medical evacuation. The cruise lines coverage in those areas are a bit low. Any advice on getting this coverage? Thanks for any input.

10 hours ago, fefe said:

We are in our late 60’s and have booked travel insurance with the cruise line, however we’re thinking about adding some extra emergency medical insurance and medical evacuation. The cruise lines coverage in those areas are a bit low. Any advice on getting this coverage? Thanks for any input.

Take a look at GeoBlue.  They offer annual plans (Trekker) and per trip plans (Voyageur). If you had asked this before purchasing the cruise line insurance, I would have recommended looking at a third party comprehensive plan.  These plans usually cover more and are usually cheaper.  The downside is the third party plans cost more as you get older and the cruise line plans usually do not.

You might want to call a good broker such as tripinsurancestore.com (you will find others with good reviews on this forum too). They can walk you through the GeoBlue plans and let you know how a good comprehensive plan compares to your cruise line plus GeoBlue.  It may be too late for you, but it will be good information for next time. There is no extra charge for using a broker.

This all assumes you are a US resident.

Why ever would someone buy insurance from a cruise line (which may be the entity against which you might file a claim)? Also, the cruiseline coverage is usually woefully inadequate.

As for travel related medical insurance (particularly since Medicare provides no coverage outside the U.S.), I agree that one should look at comprehensive (travel + med) policies offered via a broker like insuremytrip. Of course, if you want a waiver of PECs, policy purchases usually need to be made within a few weeks of making the cruise deposit though several insurers (e.g., Nationwide) will waive PECs if you buy the policy before the final cruise payment is made.

And, as a general rule, if you are in your sixties/seventies, expect a good comprehensive policy with decent coverages to cost about 10%+\- of your cruise and unreimbursable travel expenses (door-to-door).

BTW, if you're new to insurance for travel, do your homework about the often misunderstood definitions/coverage for PECs and evacuation. Many folks haven't got a clue as to what they're insuring.

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Why ever would someone buy insurance from a cruise line (which may be the entity against which you might file a claim)? 

Actually, the insurance is underwritten and administered by someone other than the cruise line. No doubt there is a financial agreement whereby the cruise line profits from the arrangement, but they don’t participate in the day-to-day business of processing claims. That function falls to the underwriter (or its administrator) who spreads the risks and costs across the broad spectrum of clients with whom they do business.

Edited by Babr

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Actually, the insurance is underwritten and administered by someone other than the cruise line. No doubt there is a financial agreement whereby the cruise line profits from the arrangement, but they don’t participate in the day-to-day business of processing claims. That function falls to the underwriter (or its administrator) who spreads the risks and costs across the broad spectrum of clients with whom they do business.

What's on paper and what's in practice can be very different things, especially on a case-by-case basis.

I'm not suggesting that the underwriter would unfairly "favor" the cruise line. But, I wouldn't want to test that theory in situations that might easily be open to interpretation (e.g., like the cruise line going belly-up -- remember Renaissance?).

I’m not sure what you are suggesting.  As I see it, the insurance company is a vendor with a contract, nothing more.

They sell a product designed to limit their exposure  through low coverage limits and  maximize profit, but they have to settle claims according to certain standards because they are regulated by laws of the states in which they are sold. “Open to interpretation” is probably in the eyes of the claimant not the company since terms are spelled out in the certificate of insurance, and decisions are subject to review if the policyholder files a complaint with his state’s board of insurance. 

I doubt the insurance company feels any responsibility for the financial solvency of the cruise line beyond fulfilling the terms of their contract. They have themselves to think of.

Edited by Babr

We purchased the cruise line’s insurance because of the cancel for any reason up to time of sailing and receive a 90% reimbursement. This was due to a family situation.

I had looked at other plans but when adding cancel for any reason the price was really high. Thought we would take the cruise line insurance and just add a bit of coverage. ?? maybe there was a more cost effective way. The cancel for any reason had to be purchased with the cruise booking. 

5 minutes ago, fefe said:

We purchased the cruise line’s insurance because of the cancel for any reason up to time of sailing and receive a 90% reimbursement. This was due to a family situation.

I had looked at other plans but when adding cancel for any reason the price was really high. Thought we would take the cruise line insurance and just add a bit of coverage. ?? maybe there was a more cost effective way. The cancel for any reason had to be purchased with the cruise booking. 

Not asking for $ but %.  What % of the price of the cruise did the insurance cost?  And how old are you?   🙂

You are correct. Cancel for any reason is a good reason to buy the cruise line’s insurance. It is often less expensive than third-party for this type of coverage. Another reason that people consider cruise line insurance is that the premiums do not increase with age so older travelers sometimes find it an acceptable choice.

As Jersey42 suggested, take a look at GeoBlue if it is offered to residents of your state or call tripinsurancestore and let them advise you.

25 minutes ago, clo said:

Not asking for $ but %.  What % of the price of the cruise did the insurance cost?  And how old are you?   🙂

Insurance cost is about 10%. We are 68 & 69 yrs. young!! 😆

3 hours ago, Babr said:

I’m not sure what you are suggesting.  As I see it, the insurance company is a vendor with a contract, nothing more.

They sell a product designed to limit their exposure  through low coverage limits and  maximize profit, but they have to settle claims according to certain standards because they are regulated by laws of the states in which they are sold. “Open to interpretation” is probably in the eyes of the claimant not the company since terms are spelled out in the certificate of insurance, and decisions are subject to review if the policyholder files a complaint with his state’s board of insurance. 

I doubt the insurance company feels any responsibility for the financial solvency of the cruise line beyond fulfilling the terms of their contract. They have themselves to think of.

If what you suggest was true and insurance companies never took advantage of interpretable gray areas, I guess we wouldn't need insurance commissions in those states that are smart enough to have them.

In any case, unlike a broker (or DIY), cruise lines don't generally offer you a choice of policies that best address your personal circumstances. 

I suggest that, in the future, OP should do their research and come up with a "short list" of possible policies. At the same time talk to two brokers (like insuremytrip) and then compare. If all the "short lists" match, the choice of a cruise policy becomes very easy.

BTW, I hope that suggested 10% premium figure being tossed about (ages in the 60s) is for a comprehensive policy (travel + medical). And, yes, the % rises with age.

Also, do the math on "annual" policies in light of their limitations on trip lengths, total annual payouts and other factors.

As for "geo blue," folks with the right Medicare supplement may actually have some of the equivalent coverages. For example CalPERS retirees (California) PERS Care Medicare supplements convert to their basic policy the minute you leave the US. 

Still, some of us do add the right comprehensive travel/med policy to get the no deductible payouts (often primary) and  medevac coverage as well as the travel coverage - both with PEC waivers.

IMO, take s look at Nationwide's cruise specific comprehensive policies.

13 hours ago, fefe said:

Based on the information you have provided I am guessing that you have booked with Holland America.  If so, purchasing the Holland America Platinum plan was probably a reasonable move because of their cancel for any reason coverage.  Advantages of the plan include:

• No pre-existing conditions clause
  • All cancellation coverage is for any reason.
  • Cancellation coverage is for 90% of the pre-paid non refundable cruise cost.  It is paid in CASH, not as a future cruise credit.
  • Medical evacuation is $50K.  This is higher than many cruise line plans and is probably adequate if traveling close to home.
  • Trip interruption benefits are 150% of the trip cost.  It seems to include air fare in the trip cost, but check to be sure.

Some disadvantages

• Medical is woefully inadequate at $10k.  I am sure this is why you started this thread.
  • I don't think non cruise costs will be refunded if you cancel.  i.e, I don't believe airfare, even if  purchased through HAL, is covered, but I am not positive.

So for your particular need, I still think one of the GeoBlue plans will fill in the biggest gap (medical) that you have with HAL.  The good news is they are fairly inexpensive, have a tiny deductible and they have no pre-existing conditions clause. Any of the suggestions about third party comprehensive travel insurance plans are worth looking at for a future trip, but it is already too late for you.  Plus, I don't know if any third party plan offers 90% CFAR in cash. And, as you have seen the prices go up as you get older.

I assume you have already looked at your existing medical insurance to make sure you really need a travel plan such as GeoBlue. If you have not, then definitely look at your plan and any restrictions.  Remember, if you have a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) policy that covers foreign travel, they have a $50K lifetime maximum.  If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, make sure you understand the annual/lifetime maximums, deductibles, and coinsurance for your plan.

Good luck. Based on your posts, it sounds like you have already done most of your homework.

PS - If you trip is not with HAL, who else offers 90% CFAR Coverage?

On 10/25/2019 at 10:22 PM, fefe said:

I would suggest that you look into Alliance insurance. My wife and I are in our mid 60's also. they offer two different plans.  We have not needed to use them but have heard good results from our travel agent about others that have had to make a claim.  Enjoy your cruise

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 9:13 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Why ever would someone buy insurance from a cruise line (which may be the entity against which you might file a claim)? Also, the cruiseline coverage is usually woefully inadequate.

1)  Because for older people, 3rd party insurance can be MUCH more, as it thousands more.

2)  You are only buying through the cruise line, the insurance is through a travel insurance company.  

We purchased insurance through the cruise line for my parents, as it was thousands cheaper.  The insurance company was very help when my mother had a medical issue.  They even negotiated with the hospital and med evac to keep the charges within the policy limits.

But yes, the policy limits tend to be low.

You have to shop around and see what fits you best.

• 2 months later...

We are both 65 and taking a HAL cruise this summer in Europe along with some land tours before and after on our own (including air). What is the best insurance to look at to cover medical, evacuate, and cancellation before we pay our final payment? We have Medicare advantage Humana and Tricare for Life. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Here's my recommendation, especially since you already understand some of the benefits of the cruiseline provided insurance.

Go to https://tripinsurancestore.com/ or https://www.insuremytrip.com/

When looking for a quote, when it asks for cost of trip per person, put in the cost of $1 😮

Yes, $1

What will that get you?

It gets you a full travel insurance policy TO INCLUDE all the medical benefits and evacuation benefits. (Some policies in some States will still even cover Pre-Existing Conditions). What doesn't it cover? Any of the benefits that pay out up to a % level of trip costs. Things like Cancellation, Trip Interrution, etc.

These policies ARE age dependant though. However, for me in my 60's, I pay about $30.

My comprehensive coverages I use my Chase Sapphire Reserved protection. If I'm doing a 30 day trip or longer, I will go with a full comprehensive program.

If you only do 1 or 2 trips a year, then I like this program that I'm using. If you travel more than that, then I agree that an annual program like Geoblue would be a good place to start.

• Thanks 1

Great suggestion klfrodo.    i was going to rely on Chase Sapphire Reserve VISA too for trip interruption.  That seems to be quite terrific.

I saw  that insuremytrip allows one to request pricing for just a medical/med evac policy.  Would that avenue be just as good or possibly better than your $1 trip cost approach?   If one filed a claim with $1 as trip cost, would they perhaps try to deny medical and med evacuation coverage by suggesting that one didn’t include their true cruise cost?   Misrepresentation in other words?

5 hours ago, GoTrulyBlue said:

If one filed a claim with $1 as trip cost, would they perhaps try to deny medical and med evacuation coverage by suggesting that one didn’t include their true cruise cost?   Misrepresentation in other words?

I rely on my Chase for the cancellation benefits also.  (well, I'm planning a 3 week pre-cruise followed by a 2 week cruise in Europe next year so I went full on coverage)

Some policies if not most REQUIRE you to cover all non refundable expenses to get the CFAR and the Pre=Existing condition waiver. It all depends on the policy and what State you reside in. In my State, Washington, there is 1 policy that allows me to use to $1 method. (In reality you could be trip cost of up to $500 and the price would be the same for the insurance. (Insurance companies in the US price out their policies in $500 increments.

Regarding your other question about insuremytrip selling a medical and evac only policy, that would be a question directly to them. I'd price it for comparison though. If there was a big difference, I'd be asking why.

• Thanks 1