Barcelona Port Hotels

bluestem711

We are looking for a reasonably priced  hotel in Barcelona for a precruise stay that is close to Las Ramblas.  Your recommendations are appreciated.  Also how far is the cruiseport from the Las Ramblas area and what is the approximate taxi cost from that area to the port?

What do you consider 'reasonable' ? 

And Las Ramblas is a long street, so was there a particular area you wanted to be near ?

We stayed at Hotel Lleo for 2 nites prior to our cruise.  It's about 2 blocks from Las Ramblas and 2 blocks from Placa Catalunya.  Loved the location.  Reserved about a yr in advance so our rate was only 130E per nite for a standard double, included a b'fast buffet.  Would definitely stay there again, but perhaps get a superior room with a balcony to enjoy the street views.

We took the aerobus from the airport, 5.9E for a 20 minute ride.   The taxi ride to the port was about 15 minutes and about 12E I think.

p.s  I'd suggest using  tripadvisor or hotels.com or expedia, etc for your search.  The Pl Catalunya area is very convenient so look in that area, and enter your budget and travel dates to see what hotels are of interest.  Post again with your short list.  That's what I did, altho I asked on tripadvisor not cc.   Good luck with your search.  We LOVED Barcelona.  Looking to go back in 2021 and spending more time.

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

Thanks for the information.  "Reasonable" was anything less expensive than Princess' price for a precruise stay.  Looks like they still charge by the person, not by the room.  Even taking the cost of the included transfer out of their hotel pricing, it is ridiculous.

I have just started my search.  I always look at tripadvisor and at CC but find CC is harder to use than it used to be.

Port (at least where most cruise ships dock) is at least 30-40 min walk to actual city (start of Rambla near Columbus monument). La Rambla is the closest big tourist street with quite a few hotels in the area. Which doesn't mean that one has to stay there as more likely taxi will be used to get to the ship and couple of € difference in taxi fare is negligible.

To break hotels by different categories (price, stars, reviews, etc) use consolidator sites like Trivago or Hotelscombined. 

We have been to Barcelona several times, and I am actually posting from the Hotel Barcelona Universal.  This is the third time we have stayed here.  Great staff with large rooms.  Right beside a metro entrance.  We book rates with the included breakfast buffet (juices, cereals, pastries, croissants, quiches, frittatas, hot sausages, cold cuts, fruits and so forth -- a large buffet with hot and cold items).  Included wi-fi.  We prefer the large rooms on their roof top  terrace.  

This location is off of the (at least in my opinion) overly touristy area near Las Ramblas.  There are several other hotels in the general area, but there are a number of apartment complexes and retail one would expect in a more residential area (ie, supermarkets, vegetable stands and lots of small restaurants).    A taxi from the port took 20 minutes (E14).  It is about 25 minutes to the airport.

• 2 months later...

I have booked the Eurostars Grand Marina for one pre night.  I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing from Barcelona on April 28.  I have been to Barcelona before so was basically interested in something with close proximity to the port

When in Barcelona I always recommend any of the hotels that are part of the Catalonia Hotel and Resort chain. They have 7-8 to choose from in the city and all have been recently updated and are quite attractive with interior atriums and other features. Good price/value imho - most also have a rooftop dipping pools, small bar area as well up there. Downstairs many of them offer a free and delicious late afternoon snack setup (again with a small bar setup) especially if you are tired from touring all day or a business day and just want to relax at your hotel before going out for a later dinner. I  have stayed at all three of the following  - all relatively close to Las Rambla and Pl Catalunya. One additional plus just about all their hotels are off of main streets (by 1-2 blocks) which can be quite noisy and congested. Try Catalonia Magdelenes, Catalonia Portal D'Angel, Catalonia Catedral.