Favorite Gelato in Florence

carlsbadguy

8 hours ago, carlsbadguy said:

Any suggestions for Gelato in Florence.

Now you are speaking our language - we love gelato! 🙂

Our favorite is Gelateria La Carraia (about a 7 minute walk west of Ponte Vecchio)

Our second choice would be Carapina (historical center, located between the Uffizi Gallery and Ponte Vecchio)

On 10/27/2019 at 7:07 AM, dogs4fun said:

Now you are speaking our language - we love gelato! 🙂

Our favorite is Gelateria La Carraia (about a 7 minute walk west of Ponte Vecchio)

Our second choice would be Carapina (historical center, located between the Uffizi Gallery and Ponte Vecchio)

We think exactly alike!!!  

Grom is a chain - I even had it in Beverly Hills at the Century City mall!!!  It's good and they are very good about ingredients not co-mingling ingredients for the celiacs.  I had some with my friend in Rome - good fiore di latte (kind of a sweet creme ice cream).  

I did have a cup of something at Vivoli - OK but overpriced IMHO.  

• 2 weeks later...

My friend's mother took us around the city, she'd gotten married in Basilica di San Lorenzo having lived in Tuscany prior to marrying and then moving to Emilia Romagna. Even before we parked the car and walked anywhere, I couldn't wait to eat the sciacciata (skee-AH-chah-tah) she'd been talking about, and she knew which panetterias to go to for the best. It is a tuscan bread treat, not focaccia, not garlic knots, I'd never had anything like it in decades of living in immigrant Italian-American neighborhoods (no tuscans) or found elsewhere in Italy.

I've had great gelato in many parts of Italy. I've only had this in Florence. Go find the sciacciata. Then, yes, finish with a gelato in your preferred flavor but you'll need a bit of time after the richness of the bread, prego. 😉 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have never tried gelato and I can't wait to try some. Any flavors that are your must have? We like any flavor of ice cream.  Will there be any good places in the following ports?

Naples, Santorini,  Catania and Rome. 

Everyone says Vivoli is the best and the lines would seem to support this advice.  However, we have never been wowed by Vivali since we have had better tasting gelata by simply buying it from unknown places throughout town.  That being said, going to Vivoli is kind of like one of those things that everyone should do once.  Then go find better gelata :).

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JenGi said:

We have never tried gelato and I can't wait to try some. Any flavors that are your must have? We like any flavor of ice cream.  Will there be any good places in the following ports?

Even the small size cup or cone of gelato usually includes two scoops and it is common practice to mix flavors. One of my favorite combinations, for example, is a dark chocolate and a hazelnut. Or strawberry and lemon, or any of a million different combos that appeals to you.

Reading the thread is giving me a major yearning for some gelato (we do have it here in Puerto Vallarto).  DW and I started talking about favorite flavors.  When you walk by a gelato display you will often see 2 dozen or more flavors piled high in the refrigerated display.  I tend to go for the fruit flavors (i.e. strawberry, banana, lemon, etc) since in good places it is made with fresh fruit.  DW loves just about anything with salted caramel.  Oh my.  Just thinking about it has added another inch to my waist.

Hank

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JenGi said:

If gelato is a new experience for you, my advice is to remember to pay before you order your gelato.  They will charge you for a large cup, a small cone with two scoops, or whatever you order, then you take your receipt and point out the flavours you would like to the person doing the scooping.

Otherwise, I occasionally hear stories of tourists at an unscrupulous gelateria ordering gelato from a server at a table outside, agreeing to have “the special” and then being charged a fortune after they’ve eaten their gelato. I‘m sure that none of the gelaterie recommended in this thread would do that, but if you pay up front, you are protected from unfortunate surprises.  

I too love the fruit flavours!  One year I ate only Pesca or peach, it was wonderful and different.  Also lemon is very refreshing if it’s hot.   Best is a dark chocolate and orange.   My DH swears by Nocciola or Hazelnut and Pistachio, but only if the Pistachio is a dull green, not bright.   They have all kinds of flavours you can only imagine.  

This year we made it to Noto, Sicily.  Cafe d Sicilia and had their amazing pastries and gelato.   Check out chefs table on Netflix.  

But truly Agree that you should try it everywhere.