Hmm... Itinerary Doesn't Match Cruise Map? (Also, Sign-n-Sail?)

j0nny5

Hello all!

Wondering who here has sailed the Valor on the Western Caribbean route. We will be taking our first cruise (our honeymoon) on 7/9/06, on the Carnival Valor, which lists its itenerary thusly:

DAY___PORT___________ARRIVE_____DEPART

Sun___Miami______________________4:00pm

Mon___Fun Day At Sea

Tue___Grand Cayman______7:00am___4:00pm

Wed___Isla Roatan_______11:00am___ 6:00pm

Thu___Belize_____________8:00am____5:00pm

Fri ___Cozumel___________8:00am____10:00pm

Sat___Fun Day At Sea

Sun___Miami____________ 8:00am

However, the map shown looks like this:

map_PA7DXWC.jpg

Does anyone else see what's wrong with this picture? Or am I doing the typical newbie thing and over-worrying?

Secondly, can someone more thoroughly explain the Sign-n-Sail card? I understand that it basically becomes your I.D. card on the ship, and you use it make purchases; however, I'm unclear as to what it is linked to. Is it linked to a credit card number I provide? Is it something I "fill" using cash at the start of the cruise? Or, do I simply expect a bill waiting for me at home with some kind of final total owed for everything I use the Sign-n-Sail card for?

Lastly, as I understand it, buffets, 24-hour pizza, and the "standard" dining options are included in the price of the cruise. I understand that the "special" restaurants on the ship (which are these on the Valor?), as well as alcoholic beverages are not free. But, do I have to pay for soft drinks? (I'm a diet-coke fiend! is it going to cost me a mint!?) Someone mentioned lemonade and water fountains abound. Are these also included?

I basically don't want to look like a fool when I try to walk away from paying for something I didn't know I had to pay for.

I have many more questions, but I'll try to ask them bit by bit, so as not to overwhelm you all! Thanks for such a great resource, and thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

;)

Jonny5, for a newbie you are already better prepared than most:

1.Don't worry about the picture not matching--my page shows the same picture but my cruise is going to the west coast of Mexico. I suppose it is just a default link that never got updated when the website was changed to include this particular layout.

2. Yes to the first two for the S&S card. Most people link it to a credit card. Some put cash on the account (minimum start $200, they will ask you to add more when that is used up, first charge is your weeks worth of tips unless you prepaid). Some also use a debit card, but be advised the ship runs a hold every night, so you need to make sure you won't run into a limit problem.

3. Nope, no free soda, but you can purchase the fountain funpass card. If you drink more than 3 sodas a day its a better value, but be advised it only covers fountain drinks; the cans in your minibar, for example, would not be part of the package. Lemonade, punch and water are available for free at the buffet area in self-serve dispensers. Bottled water in your room is extra.

That clears some things up!

I don't mind; I'll probably buy the fountain pass and pre-pay the tips. It does seem a little odd that there would be so much "free" food, but soft drinks are not included... Waaaay back when I worked in foodservice (in my teens some 10-odd years ago), I did some of the bookkeeping, and I knew how much those "blood bags" of cola cost... the stuff is almost free it's so darn cheap. I mean, even when you buy the 64 ounce soda at the gas station for 99 cents, the station is STILL making a profit!

They have to get ya somewhere, I s'pose! :rolleyes:

All in all, a good deal just the same!

-Jon

a soda card for a 7 day cruise is 45.00 pp. good for only one cup of soda at a time. (cup is not a very large cup either) not good for room service either.

free onboard cold drinks include-- iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch and flavored and white milk. available 24 hours on the lido deck.. or room service/.

you can also carry on your favorite non alcholic beverage.. (which we carry on a 12 pack of pepsi.

also- dont put 100% into any itinerary as it could change if weathr is bad. Sailin gin July is hurricane season. you should have a back up plan just in case.

But, do I have to pay for soft drinks? (I'm a diet-coke fiend! is it going to cost me a mint!?) Someone mentioned lemonade and water fountains abound. Are these also included?

Included in your cruise fare: Self-serve machines on Lido Deck have water, lemonade, fruitpunch, various juices, hot water (for tea and hot chocolate), coffee, and decaf. Other beverages are iced tea, milk, chocolate milk, and skim milk.

MOST of the above beverages are also available from room service at no extra charge. (But you'll need to tip the delivery person $1-2 every time they bring an order.)

In addition, espresso and cappuccino are complimentary with all meals, in the formal dining room only - not at Lido buffet.

Ask away! We were all newbies once.:)

Great replies, I'm feeling more confident already! Cruising is a bit like a whole other universe - a great one I'm sure (I can't wait!), but it's almost as if someone needs to publish a short, simple guide for the first time cruiser. (Hmm... business opportunity? :p Kidding!)

Thanks for the warning about hurricanes. I did a little research, and I'm not terribly worried having an early/mid July itinerary. I found these really helpful maps:

Probability of Hurricanes in July (based on Hurricane Activity from 1944 to 1999):

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/h_prob_july.gif

Probability of Hurricanes in August (based on Hurricane Activity from 1944 to 1999):

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/h_prob_aug.gif

I'm not sure quite how to read the numbers on the maps, but they seem to be on a scale of 1 - 22, and the July map is pretty blank. How rainy is it usually in July, for those who have been on dead-of-summer sailings? I'm curious.

As for having a backup plan, we booked about 7 shore excursions throughout the cruise; we imagine if the ship can't make it to a port of call, we'll just enjoy the ship's activities! We're not hung up on "having" to get to any one of the ports; "stuff" happens, and you have to expect it or you'll be disappointed. Carnival is a big company, but I'm sure they don't have an "in" with Mother Nature. Que Sera, Sera, and c'est la vie! We're going to have fun, dag nabbit, rain or shine! :D

Anyway, I imagine that they'll refund our excursions if we don't take the tours, correct?

Thanks all again for an awesome welcome to crusing!

-Jon

Jon- you need to update your research and check for hurricanes since 2000. Been a lot more in June and July then in recent years.. Even as late as Decemeber those hurricanes were.

As long as you are prepared in case of something comingup- i think you will be fine

Hmm. Can you tell me some basic information about insurance? Is it worth it? Does it cover this sort of thing (for example, if a major hurricane were to cause the cruise to be cancelled, or if major storms kept the ship from stopping at any ports of call...) What is covered?

Anyone cruise the last few Julys and have stories? Thanks!

For insurance, check out insuremytrip.com. I always get it, others do not. But I am not a gambler in these matters, either. Compare the policies, coverages and rates--it takes time, but read the fine print. Travel insurance generally covers trip delay, interruption, cancellation (mostly for medical emergency reasons) and medical problems that may occur while on the trip (many standard medical policies will not cover outside the US), plus baggage loss or delay, with limits. A few cover cancellation reasons such as being laid off or having a take a final exam. If you have medical problems yourself, be sure to read the pre-existing exclusion coverage carefully--if you can time your purchase and get this waived it is good.

If the cruise line cancels the trip, they usually will refund the money directly, and you don't have to go through the insurance. However, hurricanes rarely cancel cruises outright, they just rearrange their location and timing. Missing a port because of weather is not covered.

Archived