Ramblings from the Sailing the Suez Oct 26 to Nov 16th.

1982CruzStart

IMO, you didn’t miss much.  Salalah was my least favorite port.  I bought frankincense at the shops and other passengers bought gear for the Arabian dance party that night which was tons of fun -the dance party, not Salalah!  

Wow, posting pictures on this tour bus in Oman is so much easier than on the ship 😀

Plus I managed to find the perfume I was looking for in one of the few shops that had opened for us in Salalah  😀

I think it was a good price ....... but who knows?

On 11/9/2019 at 7:26 AM, Belfast Taxman said:

Baltic in 2020

Kathy - you may want to look at what has happened to the brochure price!

Belfast Taxman,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hadn't noticed the drop in price in the last brochure and had booked on board on my last cruise. Sure enough, my TA called and our price dropped about $1500 per person!

So that answers a question I had posted on a different thread of whether the Best Price Guarantee would be tracked by Regent. Apparently not, so check those brochures that you get multiple times a week in the mail!

I'll buy you a drink if we sail together. Ha, ha!

Martha

Today is our final seaday and only a couple more days before they throw us off on Saturday.  I am guessing it will be an extremely early departure as we have a 10:05 flight out. 

Last night dinner was in Setti Mari.  The guys all opted for the giant veal chop and I had the steak. 

IMG_13112019_123730_(960_x_1280_pixel).jpg

IMG_13112019_123804_(960_x_1280_pixel).jpg

Tonight is Krew Kapers at 5:45. 

We are off to Chartreuse tonight and Prime 7 tomorrow night and then CR our last night. 

Already contemplating starting the packing process as we are on an all day tour tomorrow and an afternoon one in Dubai leaving Friday morning and a little in the afternoon the only time to get it done. Am not looking forward to the grueling many hour trip from DXB to YVR via LHR and then a short hop from YVR home. 

Thank you so much for all the great postings, info, and pics. You all have done a great job in including us in your adventures.  It makes us more excited for our next Regent cruise in March although it is no way close to being as exotic as your cruise. Wishing you all safe travels back home. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Thanks 1

I was sure I posted a picture of our first sunset from our side of the ship.  I will try again. 

We had dinner in Chartreuse and though it wasn't busy 1 of our 4 dinners was late being delivered.  They were very apologetic and we weren't in a hurry but one of our party ate dinner after the rest of us were done. 

IMG_13112019_172731_(960_x_1280_pixel).jpg

This morning saw the “sea trials” and judging of the boat building competition that some guests enjoyed during the sea days.

The boats had to be seaworthy (withstanding waves created by 2 of the production cast) carrying a cargo of a can of soda.

Three boats were entered.

18B474F1-8B76-4377-BF89-1A9F96009CD5.thumb.jpeg.e6996fa1bf7db5a0781a7a8cf0ce8950.jpeg

This entry was very stable but was marked down on looks by the judges

D6790E50-1CBB-4427-B5EF-4214531DEFDA.thumb.jpeg.a3b6d64ddfb58c2ed1632b6ecb253242.jpeg

The winner

Apparently, every 3 months, all crew members are allowed to visit the ship’s boutiques and make purchases at a 30% discount.

Last night was one of those events; with the boutiques open to crew from 10pm till midnight.
The shops were full of eager buyers from all departments. Numbers probably boosted as there is forecast to be a significant crew changeover in Dubai.

This is the first time we have seen one of these events. Obviously very popular; especially for crew who will shortly be going home to their families.

PS: Captain Stan will be relieving Captain Felice when we dock in Dubai.

• Like 1

Today was Muscat, Oman. We are just pulling away from the dock, headed to our last port. We went to Al Hoota cave. It was interesting but another day with many hours on a bus.

Stopped for lunch at a hotel that to me has seen better days. Their main restrooms were being renovated so we had to go out and use the pool toilet. Let's just say it wasn't great. The hotel was certainly not up to the standards we had in most other places. On the upside the food was very good. 

No pictures allowed in the cave. There was supposed to be a train from the ticket area to the cave but it was not operating. I think they were trying to make all us foreigners walk off the many days of cruise food. Actually it was a nice walk where you could see more of the scenery and take pictures that wouldn't have been available riding on the train. 

Got to go. Time for more food and drinks. 

Thanks Hambagahle. It has been fun but must confess I am ready to go home. I am afraid the bed didn't agree with me so sleep has been elusive.  

Here are a couple of pictures of pictures of the cave as well as one of the Sultan's yacht.  The Silver Spirit was in port and my DH commented he thought the yacht was bigger than it. 

IMG_14112019_175509_(770_x_1024_pixel).jpg

IMG_14112019_175609_(640_x_960_pixel).jpg

IMG_14112019_175704_(1080_x_960_pixel).jpg

Our guide was a very talkative guy and for the about 4.5 hours we spent in the bus we may have had a half hour when he wasn't talking. He gave a lot of interesting information about Oman and Omani life. 

He tried to teach us Arabic which was less than successful for most of us.  There were 2 buses that went, 15 on ours and 14 on the other. We did the cave and lunch as 1 large group.

Some of the last of the food pictures. We were in P7 tonight and here are some of the appetizers.  In particular the steak tartare is for Hambagahle who is a purist. 

Prawn cocktail and the crab cake. 

Ate too much but it was very good. For my friends I had truffle fries and they were quite good but not Boston level.  I did have to send the first batch back as they were barely cooked and if I am going to suffer for fries they have to be crispy. Second batch much better. 

Tonight is Rockin Soul by the production company.  Not sure I will attend as just too tired and unlike flossie009 I haven't been as impressed with the cast. I think they are enthusiastic, good dancers but am not as happy with the singing. Could be I am not big into sopranos and find they don't  have strong voices.  

IMG_14112019_205946_(1080_x_960_pixel).jpg

IMG_14112019_210001_(1080_x_960_pixel).jpg

IMG_14112019_210015_(1080_x_960_pixel).jpg

Thanks for the photo of the Boeuf Tartare.  Looks better than with a sauce around it and without caviar!!   I would order it, spicy (normally around here they make it at the table and you can ask for more spice if you like (you taste it...) with frites.  But not truffle fries which I love but not with tartare!!  Picky, picky !!  

Your photos are great...

29 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Just shows how tastes differ. For us the Chartreuse offering is so much better, with the caviar providing the perfect seasoning 😋

Different strokes for different folks...   BUT I am willing to give the Chartreuse variety a try.  Can always not eat it!!