Qsine is dead. Long live Le Petit Chef?

Mynki

39 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Really sad about Qsine... we have just started cruising again in the past couple of years (took a break for several years while having kids).  I really wanted to try it but just never got the opportunity.  Not interested in LPC at all and won't be going.

Your kids would enjoy LPC. We did really enjoy our first visit, the original menu is tasty and as a one off it is fun to do! We giggled like children ourselves.

There are many things in life we think are ‘not for us’ but you can miss out by not giving things a go.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

I think having a variety of dining types for speciality restaurants is a great idea in principle. The  ‘formal’ option (Murano’s) the more relaxed speciality (Tuscan) and the novel/fun (Q’sine and LPC). In practice, however, if you are paying a significant amount extra for a dining experience when you already have a perfectly good MDR experience included at no cost you, quite rightly, expect the food and ambience in the speciality to be ‘special’ and not just different.

We were never fans of Q’sine, the gimmick of the iPad menu was odd. There were items we enjoyed but it was a once per cruise event. We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to LPC and found the original menu tasty. However, the novelty had worn off when we dined with LPC and friends and the second menu was less appealing. 

I can never ever understand why they don’t have a restaurant that matches its menu to the deployment area...So when Reflection, for example, is in the Mediterranean it has the Q’sine space offering a menu of Mediterranean specials but then when it returns to the Caribbean it could revert to some Caribbean specials or Mexican offerings...On our last cruise Sushi opened one night with a ‘special’ Indian menu. Seemed like a good idea but when we spoke to someone who had paid for this special he said it wasn’t as interesting or tasty as the selection in the buffet...

It will be interesting to see how long LPC lasts...

Perhaps the strategy is to have the traditional specialty dining concepts (Murano, Tuscan, etc) and have one novel dining concept (Qsine, LPC) that is generally something that gets changed to the next new cute thing when people get bored with it every couple of years.  I will not ever get bored with steakhouses or Italian food or seafood, if done with good presentation and service.  But a novel concept that changes every few years keeps the excitement of cruising going!

we loved Qsine, often went 3-4 times on longer cruises, and ate in specialty every night.  no desire to try LPC.  for our upcoming cruises in 2020, we will most likely just visit the main dining room some nights.  and in 2021, we will be exploring other cruise line options.  time to mix it up.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:07 AM, Mauidiver said:

They must be very popular for Celebrity to keep adding LPC to ships.  I'm really looking forward to our LPC and Friends dinner on Edge because I think it'll be a fun "dinner and show" type of thing, but I agree that I can't imagine it's anything but a "one and done" kind of experience. 

Perhaps when it stops selling so well Celebrity will start doing LPC only a few days a week and return the space to a regular specialty dining venue the other days.  

I think LPC is very popular except here on CruiseCritic.

I think Celebrity long term will either do as you predict OR since they have invested in the technology, add one or two more menus to the LPC experience. It would be interesting to know if the tech was discounted to Celeb by the company in order to get their product on the ships...

We did very much enjoy LPC, but consider it one and done. We are however booked on 2 future cruises with 2 different sets of friends and will likely go back at least once, just to see their faces.

We also thought the food in the original menu was some of the best we had on that trip - we were in Blu for dinner.

25 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I think LPC is very popular except here on CruiseCritic.

I think Celebrity long term will either do as you predict OR since they have invested in the technology, add one or two more menus to the LPC experience. It would be interesting to know if the tech was discounted to Celeb by the company in order to get their product on the ships...

We did very much enjoy LPC, but consider it one and done. We are however booked on 2 future cruises with 2 different sets of friends and will likely go back at least once, just to see their faces.

We also thought the food in the original menu was some of the best we had on that trip - we were in Blu for dinner.

I don't know why you think LPC is popular on board the ships. On every cruise we've been on since it opened we see large discounts offered throughout the cruise and see it almost empty  each night. Weve sailed Aqua class on those cruises and Blu is opposite LPC, so weve gotten a good idea of LPC occupancy.  In fact we're approached nighly to dine there with large discounts offered when we enter Blu.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Floater4life said:

Never liked Qsine.  I assume statistics on usage is used to make decisions.  If/when LPC has no profit ...they will move on.

17 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Not necessarily! Look at Sushi on 5 as an example of a specialty restaurant that sits almost empty on every ship, yet it remains.

I agree, they'll move on if the profit margin is lower than forecast, but as Sushi on Five clearly demonstrates, it might take a long time to make the switch. Remember, Bistro on Five sat virtually empty for a long time before they replaced it with Sushi on Five. We actually likes Bistro on Five and would head there every cruise for our embarkation lunch and at least one other. The service was great, largely because we were the only customers. As the prices were very reasonable, I could never understand people fighting for tables in the Oceanview Café when the Bistro offered peace and quiet and good food.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I agree, they'll move on if the profit margin is lower than forecast, but as Sushi on Five clearly demonstrates, it might take a long time to make the switch. Remember, Bistro on Five sat virtually empty for a long time before they replaced it with Sushi on Five. We actually likes Bistro on Five and would head there every cruise for our embarkation lunch and at least one other. The service was great, largely because we were the only customers. As the prices were very reasonable, I could never understand people fighting for tables in the Oceanview Café when the Bistro offered peace and quiet and good food.

Now we enjoyed Bistro and went there on embarkation and during the cruise. Ocean Liners was also a favourite of ours; sadly that went out of the window too.

On 10/27/2019 at 6:52 AM, NMTraveller said:

I am not a fan of LPC.  Over the years we have tried it about 4 times.  With the lobster and filet menu it was a good food option and we loved it.  I am not a fan of the new menu.  I will not go there without the lobster and filet menu.

I did like Qsine better than the new menu in LPC.

There were two menus offered on the Infinity TA. I can’t recall the second one, but we had the lobster/filet menu and it was outstanding.  Probably the best meal we had on the cruise.

They also offered an alternative to each course. DH didn’t want the bouillabaisse, so had onion soup (I think). 

On 10/27/2019 at 8:49 AM, Katyoparty said:

Recently on Solstice for a B2B and although we really enjoyed QSine in the past we were open to trying LPC. It was fun, entertaining, and different and the food was very good!  We were on a TP and towards the end they offered a second menu and different "show" so we went for a second time.  Mainly because the food was so good the first time.  I really don't understand those of you who have never even tried LPC making pronouncements about it. I encourage you to give it a try first. 😎

We didn’t go the second time because the first meal went on for too long. They had packed the restaurant, which really slowed things down. We had talked to a couple who did LPC early in the cruise and they said they were out in about an hour, plus it wasn’t crowded.  Ours was close to two hours (we sat down at 7:30 and missed the 9:00 show), which was a little too much death by dinner.

I’ve never been a fan of Qsine. The first time we went, I had checked a bunch of dishes that I thought would be interesting, intending to pare the list down. The waiter took the tablet before I could finish and insisted on bringing us everything I had marked. By the end I may have threatened him and his family with bodily harm if he brought another morsel. The second time we were with a large CC group and the waiters just brought dish after dish until I was ready to cry. I still hear “children are starving in [fill in country here] when there’s that much food around and have a hard time not doing my part (as if my getting fat will help them). So we had no intention of going there again and were happy to try a new experience.

I would visit LPC again, but not more than once on a voyage. And, if everybody else is busy filming, I might check my email, lol.

I wouldn’t pay $55 for the experience, but I would bet that there were few people who paid full price - we had the Trio package, plus Elite/Elite + get a discount. And there was always somebody at the gangway begging people to come and offering a coupon.

22 hours ago, bebe08 said:

Qsine was our fave restaurant on Celebrity and we would often go twice per sailing.  On our most recent cruise on Reflection Qsine was no more so we tried LPC.  Even with the discount that was being offered, it was less than a third full.  We enjoyed the food and the animation, but feel it is a one and done thing.  Not sure how they will be able to justify keeping it going if they can't fill the seats.  I agree it would be better to keep Qsine and offer LPC a few times each cruise.

We find same thing about Sushi on 5....almost always empty.  We went once when they had Indian night and less than one third full.  Meanwhile Al Baccio is right next door and bursting at the seams.

Celebrity needs to look at underutilized venues and find a way to make them more appealing (which would also make them more profitable - so don't understand why this hasn't already been addressed).

Sushi on 5 on the Infinity TA was always crowded at lunchtime when we wandered by and did a respectable dinner trade as well (we spent most nights having a glass of wine or three in CellarMasters). And you can’t compare it to Al Bacio, which is a coffee shop offering, well, coffee, tea and pastries. Not many people consider that to be a meal.

Tuscan Grill on the M class ships is half of its former self as they remodel. On Summit and Millennium, the wine cellar and a huge chunk of the restaurant are now four oceanview cabins. Even so, on Summit in June, the restaurant was seldom busy when we were there (although we dine on the later side, do perhaps it was busy earlier). On Infinity, where it was full sized, only the tables by the windows were occupied on the two nights we went there.

Thank you for posting this info!  We are on the Summit in December and, in looking through my cruise planner, it looked like they were offering both Qsine and LPC.  However, I just went in to try to make dinner reservations and I see Qsine isn't actually available at all - it's only LPC.  We loved Qsine last year - we went twice and really enjoyed sampling everything.  We will try LPC on our upcoming cruise.  I'm sure my 12-year old will love it.  We will definitely miss Qsine though!

On 10/27/2019 at 3:08 AM, Mynki said:

Constellation officially opened Le Petit Chef last night. We were told by staff that all of the other ships have already closed Qsine which has been replaced by LPC on other ships. 

We went to Qsine a few nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the service there. I think we'll miss that restaurant. We try LPC tomorrow. 

Have Celebrity made the right choice here? 

My first meal ever on a cruise ship was in Qsine on the Millenium. It set the bar to such a high level for all other meals and experiences.

I am sad to see it go, and do not think I would ever spend money for Le Petit Chef.

6 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I don't know why you think LPC is popular on board the ships. On every cruise we've been on since it opened we see large discounts offered throughout the cruise and see it almost empty  each night. Weve sailed Aqua class on those cruises and Blu is opposite LPC, so weve gotten a good idea of LPC occupancy.  In fact we're approached nighly to dine there with large discounts offered when we enter Blu.

I don't think any of the specialty restaurants are super popular except for Murano which seems to be consistently full or nearly full. On an August Caribbean cruise, LPC was fairly full, although discounted, Tuscan was also half full, and Sushi on 5 had the most people I've ever seen (I think they leave it for the officers and upper staff, I seem to see more uniforms than guests at lunch). On a TA with a LOT of Elite level cruisers the specialties were very slow and the discounts big, even Murano had availability with little notice and a small discount if you weren't picky about times.

I think it varies based on itinerary and how many new or less frequent cruisers are onboard. You would think on a TA people would want to break up the week a little bit, and wouldn't worry about getting in late from an excusion, but not so much.

We'll be on Eclipse soon on a port intensive itinerary, so I kind of doubt they'll be too busy. If I can score a BOGO we'll give it a try. Have had good success in bargaining when it comes to =X= specialty restaurants. 

7 hours ago, villauk said:

Now we enjoyed Bistro and went there on embarkation and during the cruise. Ocean Liners was also a favourite of ours; sadly that went out of the window too.

We were regulars  at B on 5...,.not very crowded but officers  ate there quite a bit..esp if they had families on board,  Never understood why it failed but I think it was before folks got used to paying for extra dining????   Excellent service, Great menu...crepes,  panini, soups,,. Dh loved the Cowboy.

We miss it....but will be enjoying the Cafe Bistro on EDGE  for the brunch and when it is not presenting  LPC

On previous cruises, we saw QSine and thought about trying it but never got around to doing so.  This year we were on Silhouette and did LPC.  Although the filet was excellent, as was the service, we weren't thrilled with the meal overall (and especially the lack of meal choices).  The video experience was just OK.  Kind of cute, but not "all that." Definitely a one-and-done for us. 

OT, but... we had some extra OBC last cruise and finally tried Sushi on 5 for lunch one day.  We were blown away by the quality and creativity, and everything was so fantastic that we went back and brought others with us the next day.  If you've got the premium drink package it's even better as you work your way through the sake options!

I think the issue with LPC is that you are paying for a novelty experience.  Not fine dining.  So it will be one and done for a lot of people unless they truly enjoyed the animation to the point they would pay again.  The price is getting steep for any type of Specialty Dining so packages and discounts on board are popular.  I personally feel that specialty dining prices have become ridiculous and they keep pushing the envelope on what people will pay.  They now need gimmicks (LPC) to get people in the door.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lamondys said:

I have pre booked a reservation at qsine through the cruise planner for my sailing in Feb 2020. I wonder what will happen with that

I had done same for a April 2020 sailing.  I got a call from X a few months ago explaining the switch to LPC and offering to switch our reservation for the same price as Qsine (discount of 30% for first night).  

Well we finally tried LPC last night. Initially I didn't like Qsine. The ipad and the somellier introducing herself as the "grape advisor" all seemed a little too quirky for me. They were trying too hard to be different I thought. However over time it grew on me. I liked quite a few of the options and have been quite a few time since. 

I'll miss Qsine. LPC was fun, the bouillabaisse was ok but certainly not close to being the best I've ever had, the filet mignon good and the very small warm water lobster tail not bad. The second menu featuring sea bass and chicken definitely doesn't appeal. 

Service was great as there were only eight diners in there! Apparently some trips in Valencia had eperienced traffic issues resulting in 47 diners missing the first sitting. As a result they were trying to figure out what they'd do with 75 diners for the second sitting in a restaurant which only seats 70! 

Anyway our meal was complimentary but I really don't think I'd pay $55 per head as it simply wasn't worth it IMHO. Sadly though M class ships have little specialty dining appeal now. I'd not dine in Tuscan even for free as I know the other restaurants will have a menu that appeals more, so there's only Sushi on 5 left of interest. 

I strongly suspect that LPC will be gone in a couple of years when the stats show that they're not attracting too many repeat customers. Time will tell but at least they could in theory revert back to Qsine very quickly if required.