Cruise Critic Community
S-and-J

May I have a rant? Please? About people who can't work lifts?

Just got home from a cruise.  There were, of course, some tiny niggles that we've chosen to forget about and concentrate on the good bits.  I could do the whinge thing about bad weather (but it was the North Atlantic), itinerary changes (but there was a gale so we could not leave port), not seeing the Northern Lights (it is October), the naff beer and wine (we could have paid more), the cabin being too hot (our fault cruising on a cruise for gimmers).  Things happen at sea, we chose to go to the Arctic late in the year and it is necessary for the cruise line to accommodate all their passengers, they do not run the ship just for me.  So all that stuff is fine.

But I can't let this one grizzle go:

WHY THE SODDING BLOODY HELL CAN'T PEOPLE WORK OUT HOW TO USE A BLOODY SODDING LIFT???

For two weeks people have been:

- pressing both up and down buttons regardless of whether they want to go up or down;

- getting into lifts where the illuminated up/down arrow goes the opposite way from the way they want;

- saying "Never mind, we'll go for the trip" when told the lift they are getting in to is going the way they don't want;

- surprised that when they press the button for the floor in the direction opposite from which it is going, the press is ignored, even when having been told it is going the other way;

- surprised when the lift stops at floors and nobody gets on or off (because of people like them);

- preventing people getting on lifts because it is full of people going the wrong way.

Worse case: on disembarkation day, when we were on the lowest deck and needing to get up top to our waiting area with our hand luggage, the lift kept coming down full of people wanting to go up so we could not get on.  Every time the people on board seemed surprised it had gone down after they had got in.

If you were one of the people that final morning to whom I loudly said "You've been on board two weeks.  Why haven't you worked out how the lifts work yet?" and were offended, then I am surprised you have enough nous to even be offended.

What is it that is so hard about the concept that a lift goes up OR down?  Why cannot people see that when there are four lifts together, getting in one going the wrong way is slower than waiting for one going the right way (and causes inconvenience for others)?  Why are people surprised when they press both buttons that half the time a lift arrives going the wrong way?  Why don't they understand some people might want to get off before they barge their way on?  And why can they not work this out over a two week period despite using the lifts multiple times a day?

Just how thick are some people?  And how the hell do such stupid people find the money to pay for cruises?  How do they get in a car afterwards and drive home without killing everyone on board?  How do they operate gas cookers and electrical equipment at home without burning the house down?

Rant over.  Thanks for listening.

I listened and can offer you one piece of advice, take the stairs in future, they are nearly always empty, and no one goes the wrong way just for the ride.

Going for a ride in the lift certainly happens. Maybe a British thing.  It amazes me the number of times when the lift arrives at either the bottom deck or the top deck and its full and nobody wants to get out.

And why do some people think that repeatedly pressing the button will somehow encourage the lift to arrive more quickly? 

And what about when the doors open and you start getting out there's always someone waiting to get in who looks mildly shocked that someone also wants to get out and stands looking at you dumbly? 

But it always cheers me up a little when one of these dopes gets on at, say, level 5, presses the button for level 10 but then gets off at 6 thinking they've arrived at their chosen destination. 

Well if you have seen four lifts going the way you want and can’t fit in, why wouldn’t you grab the next one you can no matter the direction and I’m not sure how it hurts anyone if someone presses the button multiple times.

I've got a pair of Mrmen socks named after him.Mr Grumpy.

I tend to go to the shows, much better than watching people playing with lift buttons.

After a big lunch run up and down the stairs pressing lift buttons and watch the look on peoples faces when the doors open and there is nobody there, great exercise.

Agree with the original rant about pressing both buttons....intensely annoying to me.!

For me it’s the people who insist on getting on before others have had a chance to get off.

Don’t even get me started on those who want to admire their surroundings at the bottom of an escalator!

21 hours ago, d9704011 said:

For me it’s the people who insist on getting on before others have had a chance to get off.

Don’t even get me started on those who want to admire their surroundings at the bottom of an escalator!

I know what you mean,

I also find those same people struggle to take more than 2 steps through a doorway before stopping to decide what they want to do.

And what about the conversationalists that congregate in the middle of walkways instead of on one side. I tend to walk through the group saying excuse me, and they soon get the hint.

To be fair, it's almost impossible to find a shop doorway without somebody standing chatting in it. 

On 10/27/2019 at 12:00 PM, S-and-J said:

WHY THE SODDING BLOODY HELL CAN'T PEOPLE WORK OUT HOW TO USE A BLOODY SODDING LIFT???

For two weeks people have been:

- pressing both up and down buttons regardless of whether they want to go up or down;

- surprised that when they press the button for the floor in the direction opposite from which it is going, the press is ignored, even when having been told it is going the other way;

- surprised when the lift stops at floors and nobody gets on or off (because of people like them);

- preventing people getting on lifts because it is full of people going the wrong way.

Worse case: on disembarkation day, when we were on the lowest deck and needing to get up top to our waiting area with our hand luggage, the lift kept coming down full of people wanting to go up so we could not get on.  Every time the people on board seemed surprised it had gone down after they had got in.

I heard that somebody asked Saga why they did not arrange that the lifts on the starboard side went up and the lifts on the port side went down. They were serious. Bit worrying, really.

18 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I heard that somebody asked Saga why they did not arrange that the lifts on the starboard side went up and the lifts on the port side went down. They were serious. Bit worrying, really.

Sounds like a great idea, they can swap around in the afternoon. or maybe weekends.

Why do people drive as quickly as they can on the roads then walk as slowly as they can on narrow paths? 

So, you're first to arrive at the the lifts, on your deck which is full of cabins. It's evening, so everyone is going DOWN to the bars/ restaurants/theatre etc. You press the "down" button which lights up. Then someone else arrives, and says"have you called the lift?"

NO I love standing in an enclosed lobby staring at four lift doors!

Those people who hop into the lift and then press a button that is where the lift has just come from. They then say, ah well, we'll go for a ride.

People who hold the lift for the rest of their party who are supposedly only going to be 1 minute.

And those who approach the lifts, look carefully to check the call button for the desired direction has been pressed and is illuminated, and then press it again??  Having said that, I also see this at home with pedestrian-controlled road crossing lights, so it's not just cruise related.

Best advice for lifts - don't touch the buttons with your fingers.  Or the ones outside.  Amongst the most used, and therefore contaminated, surfaces on the ship.

Perhaps use your toe to press the button so you cannot catch anything from it, but then wash your feet when you get back to the cabin.😛

On 3/4/2020 at 7:56 AM, Sekhmet said:

And those who approach the lifts, look carefully to check the call button for the desired direction has been pressed and is illuminated, and then press it again??  Having said that, I also see this at home with pedestrian-controlled road crossing lights, so it's not just cruise related.

Ah - pedestrian crossings.

Walk up, press the button, THEN look both ways and realise there is NO TRAFFIC, walk across, traffic shortly all stopped for an empty pedestrian crossing. Drives me mad even as a pedestrian.

For some people, they start crossing as soon as their finger leaves the button.