Cruise Critic Community
windycpa

Travel Luggage

Looking for specific recommendations (brand and model name or number) for durable, reliable and reasonably priced 28" 4 wheeled  suitcases.

TIA

David

First  if you are flying I would not choose  a 28" case 

That said  there are several threads here already on choices of luggage

We like HEYS  with AWD 

1 hour ago, windycpa said:

Looking for specific recommendations (brand and model name or number) for durable, reliable and reasonably priced 28" 4 wheeled  suitcases.

TIA

David

Last year we replaced our luggage with the Travelpro, Maxlite 5 , 26'" expandable rollaboard luggage. We use them (3 pieces) as checked luggage. They are not spinners (4 wheels). Reasonably priced from eBags. So far so good. 

Edited by davekathy

4 hours ago, windycpa said:

TIA

David

In the size you are wanting we have both TravelPro (soft side) and Samsonite (hard side).  Travelpro is lighter.  It is newer to us, so how durable it will be remains to be seen.   Our Samsonite is slightly heavier but I think will prove to be more durable.   Sorry, I don't have model names.  

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Why?  And I don't even know what size our check-able bags are 🙂

We have used Samantha Brown’s luggage for years and they still look new.  Very sturdy hard sided luggage in many colors and sizes, 4 wheeled suitcases.  Best suitcases we have ever had.  We’ve done over 25 cruises with them and we still get comments from other flyers/cruisers on how beautiful they are.

We have Travelpro...however not much stands up to the "gentle" handling by ground crew. I just sat in my airline seat and watched as some carryon bags that people had checked at the gate were air bound and flew several feet before the aircraft even took off.

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

5 hours ago, clo said:

Airline weight restrictions.

We found that a large bag becomes overweight very quickly, even though barely over half-way full.

We can actually pack more, without exceeding the weight restriction, by using a smaller, lighter bag.

It depends on how and what you pack.  I travel internationally for work a lot.  I travel with one 28/29" and one 24/25".

I also have a portable suitcase scale to check that I am not overweight.  Normally my 28/29" run about 46 pound the way I pack.  the smaller one about 30 pounds.  

As for type, I prefer hard sided.  And I prefer 4 wheels.  Yes, there are times with 2 wheel is better, but I have found overall I prefer 4 wheels.  I also prefer a bag that splits more to one side. That way, in hotels, I open it and just work out of it without unpacking everything.  For cruises, I unpack every thing, of course.

I have some Samsonite F-lite bags that are nice.  Only issue is the way the handles are, you cannot put two back to back and control with one hand.  And they no longer make them.

I used to use Delsey.  The previous version had some issues with zipper wear, as they ran the zipper up over the face.  But they have a new version (Cruise Lite) that looks like it might be more protected.  They light weight and reasonably priced.

Recently, I splurged and bought Briggs and Riley.  Lifetime, no fault, everything covered warranty.  So if the airline knocks a wheel off, you ship it to B&R and they repair it.  Expensive, but if they really follow through on their warranty, cheaper in the long run.  https://www.luggagepros.com/briggs-and-riley-torq-medium-spinner-1.shtml  It looks like they may have changed the large bag a bit.  The zipper does not dip down at wheel end.  

On 10/28/2019 at 3:35 AM, Ashland said:

We have Travelpro...however not much stands up to the "gentle" handling by ground crew. I just sat in my airline seat and watched as some carryon bags that people had checked at the gate were air bound and flew several feet before the aircraft even took off.

From your mouth to God's ear. We've gone through a set of luggage about every year that we've lived overseas, due to rough handling by discount airlines. I keep researching hoping I can find that Holy grail brand that will last and not disintegrate before the year is up. (So far, our best bets seem to be our 'moving' luggage, which are giant rolling LL Bean duffels. This might be because they're always packed within an ounce of overweight and so flinging them about is tough, unless the incredible Hulk is working baggage that day...)

After years of buying whatever was available at Ross or TJ Max, finally bought Victorinox suitcase and have been very pleased with the construction - particularly the great zipper that functions smoothly and without glitch (our biggest complaint with most of the cheaper bags we had).  Always use colorful luggage strap so it’s more easily identifiable at airports or cruise terminals.

We do carry on only.  Just our choice but I love Ebags brand.  They have a great website too.  Enjoy your trip.

On 10/30/2019 at 3:52 PM, SimplyMarvie said:

From your mouth to God's ear. We've gone through a set of luggage about every year that we've lived overseas, due to rough handling by discount airlines. I keep researching hoping I can find that Holy grail brand that will last and not disintegrate before the year is up. 

As I stated, look at Briggs and Riley.  Lifetime, everything covered warranty.  They even cover damage by the airlines.

You do have to pay shipping TO them. They pay shipping back.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:30 PM, LoriPhil said:

After years of buying whatever was available at Ross or TJ Max, finally bought Victorinox suitcase and have been very pleased with the construction - particularly the great zipper that functions smoothly and without glitch (our biggest complaint with most of the cheaper bags we had).  Always use colorful luggage strap so it’s more easily identifiable at airports or cruise terminals.

My B&R have wonderful zippers also.

Thanks to all

Windycpa

Edited by windycpa

On 10/27/2019 at 10:02 PM, varoo said:

Airline weight restrictions.

We found that a large bag becomes overweight very quickly, even though barely over half-way full.

We can actually pack more, without exceeding the weight restriction, by using a smaller, lighter bag.

I used last week, for the first time, American Tourister's 4 Kix 28" suitcase, packed it pretty full (before expanding) and was under 50 lbs according to the scale at the baggage counter.  It also meets the dimension requirements...

We use to travel with 3 pieces of 29" suit cases. Never had a problem with staying under the 50 lb airline limit. This year we replaced our 29'' suite cases with 3 even lighter (empty) 26" suit cases. We found we can pack the same amount in the 26" as the 29" and stay under 50 lbs.  The only difference is our clothes were not as wrinkled/creased in the 26'' due to being packed tighter so very little if any movement.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:34 PM, clo said:

Really?  Many airlines limit the overall size of your checked bag.  For example, Emirates is 59" overall.  Most 28's are going to add up to at least 64-65 inches.   Not to mention in such a ridiculously large size, it'd be difficult not to go over the weight limits. 

to the OP:  I have the Delsey Chatelet 24" hardside spinner.   One nice feature is that the front wheels can be locked so you can still go up and down stairs with it.  10 year warranty, TSA approved locks. 

Edited by cruise kitty

One big piece of advice:

You get what you pay for.

Want durability and dependable service?  It won't come at a bargain price.  And just because a piece of luggage has a "designer" name on it is no guarantee of quality.  They just license the name - and ladies fashion "names" can often be found on bags that look distinctive but are junk.

12 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Really?  Many airlines limit the overall size of your checked bag.  For example, Emirates is 59" overall.  Most 28's are going to add up to at least 64-65 inches.   Not to mention in such a ridiculously large size, it'd be difficult not to go over the weight limits. 

to the OP:  I have the Delsey Chatelet 24" hardside spinner.   One nice feature is that the front wheels can be locked so you can still go up and down stairs with it.  10 year warranty, TSA approved locks. 

I haven't seen an airline enforce size limits.  And I have traveled with some VERY large cases for work.

BTW, the Delsey warranty only covers defects, not wear and tear or abuse by the airlines.  BT, DT.

8 hours ago, SRF said:

I haven't seen an airline enforce size limits.  And I have traveled with some VERY large cases for work.

BTW, the Delsey warranty only covers defects, not wear and tear or abuse by the airlines.  BT, DT.

I have seen them enforce, & charge for oversized (air new zealand)  & yes, the warranty doesn't cover abuse...   interestingly, this luggage was purchased to replace our 10 year old Timblerland Claremont luggage, which was an absolute workhorse, if they still were available, I would have def. bought that again.  

Need to replace our travel luggage.  We had some cheapo walmart softsided but now want to go hardsided.

Any ideas on very good hardsided luggage suit friendly?

Planning on getting one carry on and one for checked for each of us.

All with 4 rollers.

All hardsided.

DH loves his Tumi while I've been using Travel Pro.  Last year we arrived in BOS and when my case came around the belt, I noticed a rip in it - big enough to say "Hey, I didn't leave FLL with my suit case like this." I immediately went to Jet Blue's luggage claim kiosk/desk, showed them my boarding pass, filled out a few forms and was given a claim number and web site to explore. My Travel Pro was a "life time" model. Some [purchased at outlets or discounters] look like mine, BUT the airlines seem to recognize the discount series v premium. Anyway, JB said to select anything I wanted from the online airline vendor. I got a 28" Traveler's Choice. So far it has survived 3 overseas flights and two coast to coast domestic. Going to FLL next week, so we'll see how it survives another flight. I did take my Travel Pro to a luggage repair pick up shop and TP was able to repair it. Not sure if the rip along the seam will survive TSA and luggage handlers, so I'm using it for road trips. 

Darcy