Overnight in St. John NB

estrawn

Oasis had to cancel Portland ME because the new pier won't be ready so we will be staying 2 days with an overnight in St. John.  I'm looking for suggestions on what to enjoy with all of that time to spend there. 

Also, since we are missing a chance for a Maine lobster experience can I assume that in St. John and Halifax there will be wonderful lobsters?  Last time I checked I didn't see any fences in the water between Maine and Canada.  Where are the good spots?

8 hours ago, estrawn said:

Oasis had to cancel Portland ME because the new pier won't be ready so we will be staying 2 days with an overnight in St. John. 

This part is confusing to me. We were on the Oceania Riviera and docked at the port in Portland, Maine, along with an NCL ship, on October 15, 2019, less than two weeks ago. We didn’t see any issues with the port, although we did spend a very long time, while still on the ship, going through Customs, Immigration and Border Control. (It was our first US port after coming in from Canada.)

The port facilities in Portland were modern and “ready” in every respect. 

8 hours ago, Frncie said:

This part is confusing to me. We were on the Oceania Riviera and docked at the port in Portland, Maine, along with an NCL ship, on October 15, 2019, less than two weeks ago. We didn’t see any issues with the port, although we did spend a very long time, while still on the ship, going through Customs, Immigration and Border Control. (It was our first US port after coming in from Canada.)

The port facilities in Portland were modern and “ready” in every respect. 

I don't know exactly what the issue is but the email RCL sent said that the New Port facilities would not be ready in time to accept a ship the size of Oasis so they had to cancel our stop in Portland and give us an extra day in St John. I've never seen facilities in Portland so I have nothing else to go by.. it's really too bad because I was looking forward to being in Maine. Have not been there in at least 30 years

The term Maine lobster is like Canada goose. It is the name of a type of lobster, not the only place to get them. You can get them anywhere along the northeast coastline. The best ones are freshly caught from clean waters. My mom and aunt loved the ones they got in Halifax and they are both used to great fresh lobster from Rhode Island!

I know that you will have a great time!

1 hour ago, maryann ns said:

I am not a New Brunswick expert but with an overnight in Saint John I would rent a car and explore the Bay of Fundy. Try posting on the  Trip Advisor forum for New Brunswick.

I like your idea of renting a car to go exploring.  I have done this in several other places and have always had a great time.

I have also hit the Trip Advisor forum with the same question.  Thank you for reminding me of that