Early April Cruise out of NY advice

Chris_2448

We are planning a cruise out of NY on the Bliss to Florida/Bahamas early April 2020 (Easter is 4/12 and Passover is 4/8-16). The two cruises we are looking at are 4/5 through 4/12 or 4/12 through 4/19. We need to do one of these 2 cruises due to construction being done on our house.

We prefer not sailing with a ton of kids and we realize this is prime time for this but like I said we are limited to these two weeks. Do you think that one week to the other would have a substantially different number of children sailing? If so, could that be part of the price difference? 

We are looking to book the Haven and right now there is a pretty big price difference in the two weeks. $1600 lower for 2 people on the 4/12 cruise. The pricing for the week of 4/12 is an anomaly when the previous sailings prices are considered. I realize I'm asking you to take a guess at the mind of NCL, but can anyone speculate as to why there is such a dramatic price difference? One would think the Easter week cruise would be priced higher, not substantially lower. 

Thanks for all input. 

We’re actually sailing on the 4/5 trip out of NYC.

My kids who are in college have Spring Break, and DW, a teacher is off.  Family trip because we can all make it.

My guess, and I cannot say for sure, is that based on my family, more “kids” (like I said, mine are college aged) would be on the 4/5 trip.

Good luck with your plans, and enjoy whichever trip you take!

Schools in the NY metropolitan area will have different weeks off for spring break. Sometimes it is the week before Easter (and the Monday after), and sometimes it's the whole week or so after Easter. However, sInce Passover begins on 4/8 & 4/9 (and it's the first 2 days that are most celebrated), this may be the week that many families have spring vacation. I am only guessing of course, but this may be related to the lower price for April 12-19th. Fewer bookings then; also, you may see fewer children that week. But please don't hold me to this! 🙂

41 minutes ago, Shidah said:

Aren’t most college spring break weeks in March?

it depends. every school and every school district has their own schedules of when spring break is. Colleges that is big in sports will always have the spring break in March for the march madness and other sports programs

There was a list posted here periodically of when all colleges had spring break.  I can’t find the link though.  However, I don’t recall any college spring break matching up with k-12 spring break.  Not sure which is worse, partying college kids or hourds of younger kids running around the ship unsupervised.  I think I prefer the college antics actually.

Neighbors from other nearby states and Canadian education/school systems sometimes have different Spring break calendars ... do check those. 

Pre-schoolers and those in early childcare programs are known to cruise with their parents, regardless of what the official "calendars" are. 

On 10/27/2019 at 4:39 PM, Chris_2448 said:

We are planning a cruise out of NY on the Bliss to Florida/Bahamas early April 2020 (Easter is 4/12 and Passover is 4/8-16). The two cruises we are looking at are 4/5 through 4/12 or 4/12 through 4/19. We need to do one of these 2 cruises due to construction being done on our house.

We prefer not sailing with a ton of kids and we realize this is prime time for this but like I said we are limited to these two weeks. Do you think that one week to the other would have a substantially different number of children sailing? If so, could that be part of the price difference? 

We are looking to book the Haven and right now there is a pretty big price difference in the two weeks. $1600 lower for 2 people on the 4/12 cruise. The pricing for the week of 4/12 is an anomaly when the previous sailings prices are considered. I realize I'm asking you to take a guess at the mind of NCL, but can anyone speculate as to why there is such a dramatic price difference? One would think the Easter week cruise would be priced higher, not substantially lower. 

Thanks for all input. 

Would you consider flying elsewhere to cruise??? Seems like that is a prime vacation time for elementary schools, high schools, and even some colleges.  If you don't want to cruise with a ton of kids, maybe look at a European itinerary.  Some of the promos going on include free or reduced airfare.  

Just throwing it out there...  good luck.

23 minutes ago, kkoenig89 said:

It is strange to me that other than the Haven, pricing for the 4/12 cruise is the same or a little higher than on the 4/5 one. That said, we'll be on the 4/5 cruise because it's my spring break as a teacher.

After my initial post I realized the same thing. It's only the Haven that is priced lower for the 4/12 cruise. $800 PP difference for an H5. That's too much of a savings to pass up so we booked the 4/12 cruise. It appears both cruises will be somewhat impacted by school vacations so we will take our chance. I typically don't let to many things bother me when I'm cruising so we will be fine.

We are on the April 5th Bliss out of NY because it fits perfectly with spring break here in our school district. Other districts in NY and NJ have their break the April 12th week - you will have tons of kids either way. 

Yes...the Haven will be full of kids, but that means my kiddo may be able to meet some new buddies. 

That being said - the ship itself will likely be very crazy with families and many, many kids. 

I think either week will have a ton of kids.  I once did a cruise on the NCL Dawn departing NY for an 11 day cruise.  Had over 800 children on board.  Only cruise I ever wanted to go home early.  Children were filling up the beer buckets with hottub water and throwing it at each other, running around the pool deck, etc. etc.