MedallionNet Voyage Package Internet

cyndyga

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 11:18 PM, chicopaige said:

Worked perfectly for me last month on the Emerald Princess

We are going to be on the Emerald Princess. Did the MedallionNet work well on a laptop, as well as a phone? 

On 10/27/2019 at 3:30 PM, cyndyga said:

I have never gotten internet on a cruise before but the price of 69 seems pretty reasonable. Does anyone know if it will allow me to utilize the wifi calling feature on my phone to make wifi calls? Thanks!

As it stands, your answer is a definite "maybe".

Can you use WiFi calling via your home's internet?

Do you plan to buy a package that blocks "streaming"?   (read the fine print)

Are you sailing north of Seattle / Southampton, where satellite uplinks are significantly more expensive, and ships tend not to buy voice-grade bandwidth because of it?

On 10/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, steelers36 said:

Yes.  And I am assuming from the low number of posts that you are fairly new to Princess and not Platinum nor Elite.  In this case you best deal is to pre-order in Cruise Personalizer.  If you have the status, then wait to book on board.

I see that you recommend that those with status - I am Elite  - should wait until onboard to purchase unlimited.   I am doing a 7 day and the pre purchase price is around $59.   I know as an Elite I would get 150 minutes.   Do you know what the online price is for unlimited?

Thanks!!

12 hours ago, Contessa30 said:

I see that you recommend that those with status - I am Elite  - should wait until onboard to purchase unlimited.   I am doing a 7 day and the pre purchase price is around $59.   I know as an Elite I would get 150 minutes.   Do you know what the online price is for unlimited?

Thanks!!

There is a small savings for the 7 night cruises.  Your pre-cruise rate is basically $60 (not $59 as they try to fool us) and you can save a whopping $7.50 by waiting until on board (the on board rate is $70, and then you get 25% off).  You can get a 4-device plan for $105 which is 2x the single device rate.

Edited by steelers36

On 10/27/2019 at 4:30 PM, cyndyga said:

I have never gotten internet on a cruise before but the price of 69 seems pretty reasonable. Does anyone know if it will allow me to utilize the wifi calling feature on my phone to make wifi calls? Thanks!

I have been using my ATT wifi calling throughout my current Sky Princess cruise.

The quality is the same as if I were at home. No lag or echo etc.

• Like 1

Not sure whether there will be real saving for the 4-device plan on board for platinum member.  I pre-purchased the 4-device plan on our upcoming cruise, can anyone tell if one is still able to swap device like the one-device plan.  Like using the ship's computer for printer usage or an iphone for portability which is not planed for use in regular basis.  Also does that mean my DH will still have his 500 minutes free internet time for our 34-day cruise?  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, scili said:

Not sure whether there will be real saving for the 4-device plan on board for platinum member.  I pre-purchased the 4-device plan on our upcoming cruise, can anyone tell if one is still able to swap device like the one-device plan.  Like using the ship's computer for printer usage or an iphone for portability which is not planed for use in regular basis.  Also does that mean my DH will still have his 500 minutes free internet time for our 34-day cruise?  Thanks.

Yes, you can swap devices on the 4-device plan the same as you can on the 1-device plan. If you buy the plan under your name, he will still have his minutes available.

3 hours ago, lstone19 said:

Yes, you can swap devices on the 4-device plan the same as you can on the 1-device plan. If you buy the plan under your name, he will still have his minutes available.

Thanks for the information.

So I rarely purchase internet on cruises, but with this new medallion net it does some feasible to purchase. My question for anyone that has cruised or cruises often as I do. Are you saying that Princess will offer a better deal once we board the ship for up to 4 devices. We currently have a 15 day Hawaii cruised booked and the advertised price for unlimited internet is $129.99 per person. If that is the case, then It would be benefit me in waiting till I board the ship to make my purchase so that my wife and I will be able to log in under 1 plan? Is this correct?

Edited by KcFanNindy

1 hour ago, KcFanNindy said:

So I rarely purchase internet on cruises, but with this new medallion net it does some feasible to purchase. My question for anyone that has cruised or cruises often as I do. Are you saying that Princess will offer a better deal once we board the ship for up to 4 devices. We currently have a 15 day Hawaii cruised booked and the advertised price for unlimited internet is $129.99 per person. If that is the case, then It would be benefit me in waiting till I board the ship to make my purchase so that my wife and I will be able to log in under 1 plan? Is this correct?

I have posted this info on every MedallionNet thread I see.  If you have Platinum/Elite status, the best deal is to wait until you board the ship - act on Day 1.  If you do not have status, then the Cruise Personalizer offer ($130 in your situation) is the best price you can get. 

If you wait until boarding, the on-board price is $150 for the package, and it comes to $112.50 after the 25% discount (you exchange/give up your free minutes allotment for the package discount).  

All of the preceding is for a single device.  (You can connect with multiple devices, but you will have to let the previous device be disconnected while using another device).  

The 4-device plan should also be offered in your Personalizer and it might state $15/day or similar.  On board, the price will be $300 without status, or $225 with 25% off.  As you can see, the on-board pricing for 4 devices  is double the single device plan.

With 4 devices, you can have up to 4 connected at once.  However, you might have 5, 6, 8 - whatever devices.  As soon as you attempt to connect a device beyond the package limit (1 or 4), then you will be prompted to disconnect one that is already connected.

For even more clarity, YES, you can purchase a single 1-device plan and share with your spouse as long as you both are fine with not being connected to internet at the same time.  You can both be connnected to ship's inRAnet at the same time for using all of the Medallion Class apps.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:09 PM, scili said:

There is always a savings for Platinum/Elite members - 25% off the ON BOARD pricing.  No discount off the Cruise Personalizer pricing.  The On Board package prices are higher than the pre-cruise offer, but when you deduct the 25%, the net is somewhat (not a lot in many cases) lower than the pre-cruise price.  I would recommend cancelling your order (unless your cruise is a long way off and you are thinking Princess might hike the prices.  At least you can compare the pre-cruise versus Day 1 net price and decide whether worth it to you.  When on board, your OBC can go towards paying for internet.

You can swap unlimited devices with either 1-device plan or 4-device plan.  Once the maximum number of devices are connected, the next devices requires you to disconnect one.

It seems folks are not seeing past posts concerning MedallionNet pricing, so I will repeat the tables here. 

The first table is the single device pricing and the second table is the 4-device pricing.  I will say that not 100% of the 4-device pricing is confirmed, but I had enough categories verified and the rest are based on the premise that the On Board pricing for a 4-device plan is double that of the single device plan. 

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7 $45 n/a $55 $41.25
7 $60 n/a $70 $52.50
8 $70 n/a $75 $56.25
9 $70 n/a $80 $60.00
10 $70 n/a $85 $63.75
11 $75 n/a $90 $67.50
12 $75 n/a $100 $75.00
14 $100 n/a $120 $90.00
15 - 30 $130 n/a $150 $112.50
31+ $180 n/a $200 $150.00

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7   n/a $110 $82.50
7 $105 n/a $140 $105.00
8 $120 n/a $150 $112.50
9 $135 n/a $160 $120.00
10 $150 n/a $170 $127.50
11 $165 n/a $180 $135.00
12 $180 n/a $200 $150.00
14 $195 n/a $240 $180.00
15 - 30   n/a $300 $225.00
31+   n/a $400 $300.00

The 4-device plan is typically quoted pre-cruise as $15/day.  Not sure what they do for the 15-30 variable-length bracket - other than 31+ days where I know they quote it as $10/day pre-cruise.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

There is a current promotion called the “Cyber Event” which Princess is offering free WiFi for 4 devices.  I was not aware of this promotion until I clicked on current deals on this Black Friday and discovered this. This was excellent news for me, because I was contemplating on purchasing the package for unlimited WiFi during my upcoming cruise in April 20, 2019 out of San Francisco to Hawaii.