Melbourne Question

roothy123

I know you can purchase a myki card in the cruise terminal for use on trams, buses, etc. in the Melbourne area.  However, I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly where else I could purchase one, preferably a physical card, not an electronic one on my phone.  There appears to be a small complex of supermarket, Sputini, coffee shop, etc. right across from the Beacon Cove tram station (see screenshot I'm attaching, although only part of the complex is showing!)  Would anyone know if I can purchase one there?  Or is there a list of places to purchase a card on PTV's website?  I couldn't find such a list, only some information on where to purchase cards. 

Melb beac cove tram stat.JPG

I would expect you ca purchase a myki card at the grey ticket machine in the middle of your photo, just past the hand rails. That machine should sell you a myki card and let you top up its value too, before you hop on the tram into the city.

• Like 1

Someone posted, I think on this group, "There is a convenience store right at the end of Station Pier, you can get a Myki Card there. Beacon Cove Food Store. Just opposite is the light rail/tram station from where the line into the city leaves."

The suggestion was that there would be a shorter line than in the cruise terminal.

Frances

• 2 weeks later...

Another option is the hop on hop off bus.  There is a bus stop with ticket staff very close to the tram stop.  It takes you to many different attractions around the city including the MCC, zoo, markets and St Kilda on the way back.  The trams are also free around the CBD and docklands area (not the port) and you don’t need a MYKI card.  Enjoy Melbourne!!!

• Like 1

I'm confused about the notes I took on the myki card and transportation options.  Is there a one-day pass of some type?  I would think that would be useful for cruise passengers.  If not, should I just purchase a myki loaded with a small amount and then make whatever trips I need to make?  If I understand correctly there is a daily cap that kicks in after you've been charged a particular amount (maybe $6.80 on weekdays?).  Is that correct?   

Rusty, thank you for the hop on hop off option.  I didn't think about the possibility that it ran to St Kilda.  It might work for me, although the hours are a bit limited. 

5 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I'm confused about the notes I took on the myki card and transportation options.  Is there a one-day pass of some type?  I would think that would be useful for cruise passengers.  If not, should I just purchase a myki loaded with a small amount and then make whatever trips I need to make?  If I understand correctly there is a daily cap that kicks in after you've been charged a particular amount (maybe $6.80 on weekdays?).  Is that correct?   

Rusty, thank you for the hop on hop off option.  I didn't think about the possibility that it ran to St Kilda.  It might work for me, although the hours are a bit limited. 

This is a link to the Myki website -  https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki 

No there are no day ticket options, you have to have a Myki card. The daily cap is now $8.80.

Just as a follow up to this, I've just read that since the new cruise season is now in full swing, there is a bus that goes from Station Pier (Port Melbourne) to  Queens Bridge Street in the central business district of Melbourne.  It is bus 109 City Express from Station Pier, running directly from the terminal at Station Pier to the city, taking about 20 minutes.  Frequency is 8  AM to noon, every 5-7 mins., noon – 2 PM 15-20, minutes and 2–5 PM 10-15 minutes. I believe you need a myki card, though, so perhaps we still have to get one from the kiosk inside the port terminal or outside up near the tram.  On Jan. 2 there will be 3 ships in Melbourne, so I'm sure it won't be quick to get to center city that day. I guess I'll walk up to the tram area, buy a myki (or order one online if possible?) and then walk back down to catch bus 109. 

Roothy, there are only two ships in at Station Pier that day. The Maasdam is at Portland which is south west Victoria. All Victorian ports come under the same organisation. If you look at the key at the bottom of the list of dates and ships  on the schedule, (https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/cruise-shipping/Pages/cruise-ship-schedule-1.aspx) you will see the various ports.

I've just looked at the PTV page you mentioned with the information about the bus, unfortunately there will not be buses provided on the 2nd January - https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/2019/10/10/public-transport-during-the-2019-2020-cruise-ship-season/

Hope this helps.

Leigh

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Roothy, there are only two ships in at Station Pier that day. The Maasdam is at Portland which is south west Victoria. All Victorian ports come under the same organisation. If you look at the key at the bottom of the list of dates and ships  on the schedule, (https://www.vicports.vic.gov.au/cruise-shipping/Pages/cruise-ship-schedule-1.aspx) you will see the various ports.

I've just looked at the PTV page you mentioned with the information about the bus, unfortunately there will not be buses provided on the 2nd January - https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/2019/10/10/public-transport-during-the-2019-2020-cruise-ship-season/

Hope this helps.

Leigh

Oh, thanks for the heads up.  I think I saw that "Portland" months ago but forgot about it when I looked again at the port website.  But now I'm confused as to why there's no bus 109 on Jan. 2.  Is it because of the holiday the day before, or something else?  I didn't read everything in that long article about cruise ship season, but perhaps it's there...or perhaps it's because PTV doesn't provide the bus on turnaround days, and apparently the Princess ship is doing a turnaround visit on Jan. 2 in addition to Regatta doing just a transit day or whatever it's called in port terminology?  I'm so confused...although I DID wonder why the 109 was not listed as an option when I originally queried the Journey Planner.  All it showed was the tram for Jan. 2.  

We come in on Regatta at 10 - maybe that's a a good thing, as the Princess folks will be gone by then, and not too many of the new people will have arrived by then.

Thanks for your help. 

Edited by roothy123

2 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Oh, thanks for the heads up.  I think I saw that "Portland" months ago but forgot about it when I looked again at the port website.  But now I'm confused as to why there's no bus 109 on Jan. 2.  Is it because of the holiday the day before, or something else?  I didn't read everything in that long article about cruise ship season, but perhaps it's there...or perhaps it's because PTV doesn't provide the bus on turnaround days, and apparently the Princess ship is doing a turnaround visit on Jan. 2 in addition to Regatta doing just a transit day or whatever it's called in port terminology?  I'm so confused...although I DID wonder why the 109 was not listed as an option when I originally queried the Journey Planner.  All it showed was the tram for Jan. 2.  

We come in on Regatta at 10 - maybe that's a a good thing, as the Princess folks will be gone by then, and not too many of the new people will have arrived by then.

Thanks for your help. 

It does say in the link I gave you that the buses would not be provided on turnaround days. I guess also because Regatta is quite a small ship it's felt the trams will be enough.

Enjoy your day in Melbourne, just to let you know the Spirit of Tasmania ferry will be docked in front of the Regent. There are two sailing of the ferry that day - one at 8.30 am which will have arrived at Station Pier at 5.30 am and the second at 9.10 pm which will have arrived at 6.10 pm so it will be busy when you return to the pier.

Leigh

Leigh

6 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Thank you.  I'm really looking forward to Melbourne. 

Maybe we'll eat dinner on the Terrace of the ship and watch Spirit of Tasmania load up!  

You probably won't see much as you will be behind the Spirit facing her bow and she will be loading from the stern on the land side. 

Leigh

On 11/11/2019 at 11:05 PM, Rusty1963 said:

Another option is the hop on hop off bus.  There is a bus stop with ticket staff very close to the tram stop.  It takes you to many different attractions around the city including the MCC, zoo, markets and St Kilda on the way back.  The trams are also free around the CBD and docklands area (not the port) and you don’t need a MYKI card.  Enjoy Melbourne!!!

Hi Rusty, so you know if the HOHO bus is wheelchair accessible? 

Hi MargoK

Apologies that  it’s taken me some time to answer.

I cannot recall whether there was a mechanical platform on the bus to assist wheelchair users (and those with mobility issues) when we were in Melbourne last year.

I have checked the operators website by googling “Melbourne hoho buses” which does specifically mention that the trip is not recommended for those with mobility difficulties.

Perhaps  it would be worth contacting the company directly for clarification.

Sorry that I haven’t really answered your question.

Melbourne is NOT expensive. The man at Melbourne Bank joked it was, he's inaccurate. I took out A$100 4 days ago for walking around & entrance fees. I'm boarding Golden Princess with A$50 and used it to pay for breakfast. The #35 tram is free and took me to amazing places.

20191122_101456.thumb.jpg.b367aa1e43f31eb67c12d5560b37ad69.jpg

The library has a phenomenal dome and people actually use all parts of it (some just to play chess)

20191122_114224.thumb.jpg.e2547f5c615036e9b319c1ce91e8a6a0.jpg

Fitzroy Gardens with its Fairy Tree and hideaway places is a true jewel

20191122_142204.thumb.jpg.9a7ceab2e9b3a3a9d8096ddcd807f736.jpg

The Old Treasury has 3 wonderful exhibits: Wayward Women, history of Melbourne, and Gold. Again free! They've even repurposed the old Post Office (yes, it's in H&M)

20191123_150427.thumb.jpg.dec23abf969294324be116b02fcaad47.jpg

And that's just 1/2 the free sites that I saw on the #35. The PT that I paid for (from airport to CBD & CBD to Kilda & 109 to ship) are quite reasonable by SF standards.

1 caveat: Starbucks in Melbourne can't make a decent cup of drip coffee. Use a local spot

20191123_150427.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Melbourne is NOT expensive. The man at Melbourne Bank joked it was, he's inaccurate. I took out A$100 4 days ago for walking around & entrance fees. I'm boarding Golden Princess with A$50 and used it to pay for breakfast. The #35 tram is free and took me to amazing places.

20191122_101456.thumb.jpg.b367aa1e43f31eb67c12d5560b37ad69.jpg

The library has a phenomenal dome and people actually use all parts of it (some just to play chess)

Fitzroy Gardens with its Fairy Tree and hideaway places is a true jewel

The Old Treasury has 3 wonderful exhibits: Wayward Women, history of Melbourne, and Gold. Again free! They've even repurposed the old Post Office (yes, it's in H&M)

And that's just 1/2 the free sites that I saw on the #35. The PT that I paid for (from airport to CBD & CBD to Kilda & 109 to ship) are quite reasonable by SF standards.

1 caveat: Starbucks in Melbourne can't make a decent cup of drip coffee. Use a local spot

Glad you are enjoying your stay in Melbourne Ombud. The dome in the State Library is amazing and I love going there. It never ceases to amaze me how many people use it. I usually am there for family research which is in a different area but always have a wander through under the dome. The Fitzroy Gardens are fabulous. Did you visit the Botanical Gardens and the parks on the other side of the Yarra River?

Leigh

I visited 4 parks (inc Treasury Garden and the one at the Royal Exhibition Center which is closed for exams + 1 other on the other side of the river) and a lot of street art too. There are alleyways with phenomenal murals. Quite talented artists really. 

Love Melbourne 

• Like 1