Who Is VV Targeted To?

Lightngsvt

My wife and I are very interested to give VV a try, love the idea of a new ship and a new concept in cruising.  We arent newb's but not old salts either, we have about 10 cruises under our belts, all on Celebrity.  The marketing/advertising seems to send a bit of a mixed signal and Im not sure if we're the target demographic?  We are 45 & 46, not party animals (though I like an occasional late night!) and not swim suit models 🙂 .  So what is the target VV hopes to attract?  Do you think a mid 40's married couple would fit in?  I know hard to say since nobody has actually sailed VV yet.

I think Virgin's approach is marketing more of an attitude than a birth date. And they are trying to appeal to people who have never considered cruising before. If you are active and enjoy people, you should fit in just fine. While the marketing looks like their target is mid 20s and up, in reality you two are probably near the middle of the age range of those actually booking. This should be a nice change from Celebrity. 

Looking at their marking it seems like they're targeting mid- to older millennials, so around ages 28-38. Specifically people who haven't been on a cruise before but have the means to do one.

Definitely book if you've done your research and it interests you; not being in the target demographic isn't the same thing as being unwelcome. I think the 'demographic' issues mostly come from much older/more conservative people who clutch their pearls over the drag brunches/tattoo parlor/etc. instead of just...booking something else that suits them more.

We are about 10-15 years older than you and we are going to try it. We are also not party animals or swimsuit models but the models in their ads aren't realistic. It's totally different than what we usually cruise and that's what has us curious and excited.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:46 AM, Sif said:

Looking at their marking it seems like they're targeting mid- to older millennials, so around ages 28-38. Specifically people who haven't been on a cruise before but have the means to do one.

Definitely book if you've done your research and it interests you; not being in the target demographic isn't the same thing as being unwelcome. I think the 'demographic' issues mostly come from much older/more conservative people who clutch their pearls over the drag brunches/tattoo parlor/etc. instead of just...booking something else that suits them more.

I think you hit the nail on the head

For reference, I'm booked on VV next year. I'm in my late 20s, married, no kids, active lifestyle, six-figure incomes from both me and my wife. Many of our friends in their late 20s and 30s that we've told about it have been interested as well.

Edited by hotsauce126

On 10/30/2019 at 4:41 PM, hotsauce126 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head

For reference, I'm booked on VV next year. I'm in my late 20s, married, no kids, active lifestyle, six-figure incomes from both me and my wife. Many of our friends in their late 20s and 30s that we've told about it have been interested as well.

Sound like you are the perfect people that VV is targeting their cruises to.  Just hope there are enough of you to keep the company afloat.  Sure hope so since we want to try VV also.  Maybe with my kids who are the same ages as you.  Would be a lot of fun I think. 

We're booked for the inaugural cruise - we're in our 50's and our kids are joining us (26 & 30)  - so we're open for a great cruise although we're not crazy party animals - but open to try and experience anything - although I'm not into tattoos so that I'll pass on 😉 !

We plan to book for November and we are 60, our 24 year old daughter and her boyfriend want to come too, as do our 40 something friends. Will we be able to keep up with our DD on the party level, heck no. My DD is convinced the ship belongs in Los Angeles. Suites with a glam squad as a perk...too expensive for the 20 somethings but it is still very cool. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  We've decided to go for it and give it a try.  We're going to book the Labor Day sailing, shorter sailing and less time off work since we're doing Alaska the end of June.  I think it'll be cool, though I dont think we'll be taking part in the drag brunches (probably going to be crowded anyway) and the tattoo parlor (though I think its a cool touch! Hopefully you can watch people getting tattooed though 🙂 ).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad someone posted about this but I’m actually excited to be able to cruise a line that will feel geared to those with disposable income who have yet to hit retirement age. No offense because I am no spring chicken myself, I’m 37. But I feel the on board activities, gym, and focus on wellness will be right up my alley for a quick all Girls getaway cruise! We just did Las Vegas, so this will be a nice change.

I never wanted to cruise before VV was announced-- My turn offs from other cruise lines, based on what others have told me, and what I have read:

1) You tip

2) You have to pay more for wifi

3) You have to pay more for soda

4) You have to pay more for some restaurants

5) They have bueffest

6) You have to pay for wi-fi

7) There are kids running all around

8 ) They are the same old thing

9) They have some formal nights

10) They are not run by Richard Branson..

Virgin Voyages has taken care of all those negatives..

• Like 1

If the crew comes from outside the US, and are appropriately paid, they will not expect a tip. Many areas around the world consider tipping completely unnecessary or insulting. Seabourn ships are a great example where the service is excellent and tips are NOT expected. Hopefully, VV will be similar.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 11:09 PM, Lightngsvt said:

My wife and I are very interested to give VV a try, love the idea of a new ship and a new concept in cruising.  We arent newb's but not old salts either, we have about 10 cruises under our belts, all on Celebrity.  The marketing/advertising seems to send a bit of a mixed signal and Im not sure if we're the target demographic?  We are 45 & 46, not party animals (though I like an occasional late night!) and not swim suit models 🙂 .  So what is the target VV hopes to attract?  Do you think a mid 40's married couple would fit in?  I know hard to say since nobody has actually sailed VV yet.

This sounds like my husband and I as well, although we're 48-49.  I do like a mix of age ranges and we're not into the partying, but we do like to participate in things and stay up and have fun.  I hadn't considered this line, but it will fit during my vacation days next year, and looks like it might be worth a try.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:43 PM, garymfreedman said:

I never wanted to cruise before VV was announced-- My turn offs from other cruise lines, based on what others have told me, and what I have read:

1) You tip

2) You have to pay more for wifi

3) You have to pay more for soda

4) You have to pay more for some restaurants

5) They have bueffest

6) You have to pay for wi-fi

7) There are kids running all around

8 ) They are the same old thing

9) They have some formal nights

10) They are not run by Richard Branson..

Virgin Voyages has taken care of all those negatives..

Try Oceania Cruises and just about all these problems will go away. 

• 2 weeks later...

My initial reaction to Virgin Voyages was overwhelmingly positive.  But the more I read their website, the more put off I felt.  The cruise line has an overly polished feel to it, which makes it more intimidating than inviting.  Like, it caters to the glitterati crowd, rather than your average working-class cruiser. 

Obviously, I won't be keelhauled for getting on their ships.  But I'll feel as out of place for sure.  Perhaps other people's reviews will prove me wrong.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

6 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

My initial reaction to Virgin Voyages was overwhelmingly positive.  But the more I read their website, the more put off I felt.  The cruise line has an overly polished feel to it, which makes it more intimidating than inviting.  Like, it caters to the glitterati crowd, rather than your average working-class cruiser. 

Well, here again -- who they are marketing to and who shows up might be two entirely different things. Look at the ads for any cruise line: No 'old' people with walkers (or oxygen tanks) -- and certainly no obese people!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Well, here again -- who they are marketing to and who shows up might be two entirely different things. Look at the ads for any cruise line: No 'old' people with walkers (or oxygen tanks) -- and certainly no obese people!

Yes, without a doubt.  But even though most other cruise lines' ads use model-looking actors, they feel more inclusive somehow.  As in, "This looks fun; I could join in."  Virgin is going with a "upscale and exclusive" vibe, which is their prerogative.  But they making it look like they only want people from South Beach or West Hollywood, rather than Anytown USA.  I feel like they're shooting themselves in the foot that way.  Instead, they should use a tagline like: "If you know how to vacation, you know how to Virgin."

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Yes, without a doubt.  But even though most other cruise lines' ads use model-looking actors, they feel more inclusive somehow.  As in, "This looks fun; I could join in."  Virgin is going with a "upscale and exclusive" vibe, which is their prerogative.  But they making it look like they only want people from South Beach or West Hollywood, rather than Anytown USA.  I feel like they're shooting themselves in the foot that way.  Instead, they should use a tagline like: "If you know how to vacation, you know how to Virgin."

Their target audience overwhelmingly doesn't live in a anytown usa. Most younger people with a fair amount of disposable income live in larger cities. The things virgin is offering are culturally in line with that.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:23 PM, hotsauce126 said:

Their target audience overwhelmingly doesn't live in a anytown usa. Most younger people with a fair amount of disposable income live in larger cities. The things virgin is offering are culturally in line with that.

My question is will they find enough of these people to keep a cruise line going?  More new ships coming.  I guess only time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting debate...my DD lives in West Hollywood, dresses well even in her sweatpants, works out, parties hard, works hard,  was raised in anytown and is very down to earth. She is a veteran cruiser having started at age 4. Virgin both appeals to her and doesn't as she can get most of what it offers at any club in LA, she can get to a beach in half an hour, though she wants to try VV with her boyfriend and parents (we will foot the bill), though doubts her friends would travel cross country to go on it. If it sailed out of LA they would be all over it. Recently she went with mom and dad on RCCL mega ship and we all had a blast. None of us had been on one of those type ships in 10 years and turned our noses up at the floating resort themed ship but it was all that was available for what we needed at the last minute. So you never know who will show up where. Every cruise is what you make of it. Even if our DD can not join us my DH and I will give it a try. Life is an adventure, no need to limit oneself. 

We are 49/45 and joining Richards Birthday Bash Trip Ali day with our 40/38 year old friends.  We‘ve done a couple cruises before Royal and Norwegian and hated them.  Shows we’re too geared towards kids and even the late night comedians weren’t that funny.  Food was always horrible.  Giving cruising one last try.  The over 18 only and restaurants and shows geared towards adults are what appealEd to us.  Cuba did too but we all know what happened there.  Personally I don’t think the demographics will be all 20 year olds, the prices are too high and the younger group goes more for cruises with all inclusive drink packages.

7 hours ago, Cruisevirgin75 said:

We are 49/45 and joining Richards Birthday Bash Trip Ali day with our 40/38 year old friends.  We‘ve done a couple cruises before Royal and Norwegian and hated them.  Shows we’re too geared towards kids and even the late night comedians weren’t that funny.  Food was always horrible.  Giving cruising one last try.  The over 18 only and restaurants and shows geared towards adults are what appealEd to us.  Cuba did too but we all know what happened there.  Personally I don’t think the demographics will be all 20 year olds, the prices are too high and the younger group goes more for cruises with all inclusive drink packages.

Be sure to post your opinion after you get back.  We've been on over 10 Celebrity and 1 Azamara cruises and have had the exact opposite of yours.  Food was always very good, most trips had very few kids running around, the comedians were good about 75% of the time and many of the shows were good.  We did Cuba on Azamara, and so glad we did hile it was still an option!  It was a great experience.