Mom & Daughter Trip

jennianne

First off, thanks so much all you cruise experts for helping me decide which type of cruise to take my mom on! My dad passed away this year and my mom is 86 and has never gone on a cruise! So we are going to Alaska in July on the Oosterdam! I'm so excited for this trip, I know she is going to love cruising with Holland America, everything I read about it just sounds perfect for her. I'm looking forward to the mellowed down atmosphere also, since I've only done Carnival cruises with my husband and kids (and we haven't ever LOVED the experience.) 

Most of my questions have been answered just from perusing the forums, but I haven't found a really definitive answer for a few questions I have.

1. Water. Are there plenty of places for us to fill up water bottles? Both of us would prefer to use refillable, if that's an option, but it's really important for her to stay hydrated, so if the water fill stations are only on the Lido deck we might bring some disposable water bottles. Also, can you bring in as much bottled water as you want? I know we can each bring in a bottle of wine (which is my main form of hydration....) but I'm not seeing much about water bottles. 

2. when we booked we got $500 in OBC and it looks like it's split between us. My mom doesn't drink or gamble or do anything fun at all, so can I use her credit? we are sharing a veranda room. 

3. any other late 30's ladies going to Alaska with their 80 something moms the last week of July and want to be friends? I'm a little nervous I'm going to get stir crazy and run out of things to talk about with her! How does one find friends on a cruise ship? (without accidentally finding myself a silver fox to complicate things back home?)

Thanks for all the help you've given so far!

7 minutes ago, jennianne said:

First off, thanks so much all you cruise experts for helping me decide which type of cruise to take my mom on! My dad passed away this year and my mom is 86 and has never gone on a cruise! So we are going to Alaska in July on the Oosterdam! I'm so excited for this trip, I know she is going to love cruising with Holland America, everything I read about it just sounds perfect for her. I'm looking forward to the mellowed down atmosphere also, since I've only done Carnival cruises with my husband and kids (and we haven't ever LOVED the experience.) 

Most of my questions have been answered just from perusing the forums, but I haven't found a really definitive answer for a few questions I have.

1. Water. Are there plenty of places for us to fill up water bottles? Both of us would prefer to use refillable, if that's an option, but it's really important for her to stay hydrated, so if the water fill stations are only on the Lido deck we might bring some disposable water bottles. Also, can you bring in as much bottled water as you want? I know we can each bring in a bottle of wine (which is my main form of hydration....) but I'm not seeing much about water bottles. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic 🙂 

You can actually use the water from your bathroom tap if you want.  It’s the same water 😉 

And, yes you can bring all the water (or soda) on board you want.  You just need to have it with you when you check in as carry on.

2. when we booked we got $500 in OBC and it looks like it's split between us. My mom doesn't drink or gamble or do anything fun at all, so can I use her credit? we are sharing a veranda room. 

The OBC is credited to the room.  Since you are sharing all the room charges will be applied to the OBC.  It doesn’t matter who is spending it 😉 

3. any other late 30's ladies going to Alaska with their 80 something moms the last week of July and want to be friends? I'm a little nervous I'm going to get stir crazy and run out of things to talk about with her! How does one find friends on a cruise ship? (without accidentally finding myself a silver fox to complicate things back home?)

Join your roll call for this sailing.  They should have a meet and greet and you’ll have a chance to meet some familiar faces.  They may even have some excursions planned that you want to join - or other activities 🙂 

• Like 1

Yes, you can bring aboard as much bottled water as you wish - as long as you carry it on. (Not in checked luggage.) You can refill bottles from your sink.

As long as both of you are using the same credit card to pay for your onboard spending, it can be shared. She might  use the OBC to pay the Hotel Service Charge or any non-alcoholic beverages she might have at meals (other than the included coffee, tea and lemonade) or anything she purchases in the shops.

Join the roll call for your cruise to find others sailing with you. It might be a bit slow right now, but usually picks up closer to departure.

Enjoy!

I see Kazu replied as well.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 1

Welcome to HAL!

1. Yes, you may bring on as much bottled water as you like. BUT it has to go as carry-on, not checked. So if you're OK with ship's water, it would be simpler to use refillable bottles.  I'm not sure if HAL has proper water bottle stations. They do ask you not to refill the bottle at the Lido water dispensers (because it's too easy to bump the bottle top against the spout). Some ships have the kind of dispenser that allows for safe refilling of bottles. Someone who has been on Oosterdam lately can tell you. But you can always fill your bottles in your room. And you can buy more bottled water in port, but things tend to be more expensive in Alaska. 

2. How you can use the OBC depends on how you're set up. If you have one onboard account for the two of you (connected to the same credit card), you can access both your OBC and your mom's. Alternatively, ask her to pick up some of your tabs. 

3. Go to the roll call board and see if there's a roll call for your date. If not, start one!

• Like 1

In addition to joining the Roll Call, once you are on the ship check the When & Where to see if there's an event for singles and solos.  I've seen mostly lunches in the MDR for the first (possibly only) meet up. 

46 minutes ago, jennianne said:

I'm a little nervous I'm going to get stir crazy and run out of things to talk about with her!

Get a hard copy map of the Inside Passage, and a book about cruising the area.  Easier for her to see the hard copy map.  Then you can discuss the actual journey. 

Once you are onboard, go to the Pinnacle Grill and book lunch for one of the sea days.  $15/person, it is SO WORTH the price

I think the Oosterdam has on-demand movies in the cabin.

Take along some source material on the whales in the area.  Watch for whales, and discuss the whales.  (Mostly humpbacks, some orcas, we've seen a few minkes....)

• Like 1

Another use for on board credit is gratuities. If they are not part of a promotion or prepaid by your TA, they will be automatically deducted daily from your ship board credit. 14.50 p/p per day. 

Also, enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or a mock tail while enjoying the view. 

1 hour ago, jennianne said:

We have found the fellow cruisers on HAL to be very friendly.  You are cruising for a common purpose...to see Alaska so you will always have something in common.  When you go to the dining room for breakfast just indicate that you will sit with others.  A table for six is perfect for conversation.  If you request fixed seating for dinner ask for a table for 6 and you will get to know these people really well as you will see them every day at dinner.  If it’s not a good fit just let the maitre’d know and  they will change the arrangements.  In my experience HAL maitre’d’s have a knack for seating compatible groupings.  If you have “anytime” dining follow the breakfast seating plan.  You will both make new friends and share some stimulating conversations.

• Like 2

The Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton is a great resource. Probably have to get it used now on Amazon for the paperback version (Kindle version is available but Id go for paper myself) but very much worth the trouble. The fold maps are wonderful. It is filled with mile by mile detail of your journey, great Alaska stories, and good info for the ports. I enjoyed reading about what we would see from our balcony everyday. 

http://alaskacruisehandbook.com/index.html

Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

As others said use the OBC for gratuities.  I have taken my mother a number of times on various vacations. Cruises are great because you can both do different shore excursions.  Alaskan cruises are usually in port most every day, all day so you both will be occupied.   I never run out of things to talk about, you might be surprised the things your mom discloses.  You will have a great time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VennDiagram said:

In addition to joining the Roll Call, once you are on the ship check the When & Where to see if there's an event for singles and solos.  I've seen mostly lunches in the MDR for the first (possibly only) meet up. 

Get a hard copy map of the Inside Passage, and a book about cruising the area.  Easier for her to see the hard copy map.  Then you can discuss the actual journey. 

Once you are onboard, go to the Pinnacle Grill and book lunch for one of the sea days.  $15/person, it is SO WORTH the price

I think the Oosterdam has on-demand movies in the cabin.

Take along some source material on the whales in the area.  Watch for whales, and discuss the whales.  (Mostly humpbacks, some orcas, we've seen a few minkes....)

great idea about the hard copy map and book! Her parents explored all over Alaska in the 20's so it'll be fun to look up those places and see if we'll be close to any of them! 

Our booking includes one night at Pinnacle Grill yahoo!

45 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

The Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton is a great resource. Probably have to get it used now on Amazon for the paperback version (Kindle version is available but Id go for paper myself) but very much worth the trouble. The fold maps are wonderful. It is filled with mile by mile detail of your journey, great Alaska stories, and good info for the ports. I enjoyed reading about what we would see from our balcony everyday. 

http://alaskacruisehandbook.com/index.html

Enjoy your cruise!!

Perfect! I'll check it out now!

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

We have found the fellow cruisers on HAL to be very friendly.  You are cruising for a common purpose...to see Alaska so you will always have something in common.  When you go to the dining room for breakfast just indicate that you will sit with others.  A table for six is perfect for conversation.  If you request fixed seating for dinner ask for a table for 6 and you will get to know these people really well as you will see them every day at dinner.  If it’s not a good fit just let the maitre’d know and  they will change the arrangements.  In my experience HAL maitre’d’s have a knack for seating compatible groupings.  If you have “anytime” dining follow the breakfast seating plan.  You will both make new friends and share some stimulating conversations.

I didn't realize this was a possibility! I love the idea of eating with new people!

3 hours ago, jennianne said:

great idea about the hard copy map and book! Her parents explored all over Alaska in the 20's so it'll be fun to look up those places and see if we'll be close to any of them! 

Our booking includes one night at Pinnacle Grill yahoo!

Since your night at PG is part of your incentives, you can't dictate the date and time of the reservation.  Don't despair, however.  If the time and date don't suit you or your mom, go to PG early in the cruise and ask maître d' to change it to suit you.  He may not be able to accommodate you if your preference is especially popular, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  

My mom and I cruised three times together.  Sadly, she's no longer alive, but I treasure those cruises we enjoyed together.  If your mother has ANY medical issues/dietary restrictions, such as low-salt diet, alert the Special Needs department or Ship's Services.  Do not wait until you board to take care of these concerns. 

Can your mother walk up an incline?  Although my mother resisted wheelchair assistance, I did request it for embarkation/disembarkation, and she later thanked me for it because she would have been unable to board by herself.  Please consider asking for assistance.  Again, make certain you request this assistance prior to the cruise.  HAL will be more than happy to accommodate her, but they need to know weeks before you leave for the cruise.  Keep all confirmations/emails with various departments.  Take them with you to the port. 

Months before the cruise, I begin a "cruise book."  I use a small loose-leaf binder and store the pages in the clear plastic sleeves. As I use the pages, i.e. airplane reservations etc., I toss that page.  By the end of the trip, the only pages left are plane/car rental (depending on how I'm getting home).  Obviously, I arrange the pages as I progress through the trip.  For our 24-day Med cruise, I had to use a larger binder, since we had so many excursions/hotels etc.  Oh, don't forget to include your TA's number or the number of your HAL PCC and insurance carrier just in case.

I would also advise flying in the day prior to embarkation, maybe two days prior to the cruise.  Traveling, even on a plane, would wear my mom out, and we first cruised when she was 84, slightly younger than your mom.  We took our last cruise when she was 92!  In fact, she celebrated that birthday aboard Westerdam, and HAL very generously moved us from OV to one of the suites for and extra $50 per person.  We didn't ask for that upgrade but were very pleased to receive it.

I hope you and your mom enjoy your time together, and I know you'll love Alaska.  How could anyone not love it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic 🙂 

You can actually use the water from your bathroom tap if you want.  It’s the same water 😉 

And, yes you can bring all the water (or soda) on board you want.  You just need to have it with you when you check in as carry on.

The OBC is credited to the room.  Since you are sharing all the room charges will be applied to the OBC.  It doesn’t matter who is spending it 😉 

Join your roll call for this sailing.  They should have a meet and greet and you’ll have a chance to meet some familiar faces.  They may even have some excursions planned that you want to join - or other activities 🙂 

(Many, most  (?)  of us think water from the tap on HAL ships is fine.    I drink lots of  water at home as well as   when I travel.  I have never had any negative  issue    regarding  the   tap  water   on any HAL ship (including   Oosterdam).

Very sorry to read about your losing your father. How nice for you to take your Mom on a cruise.  Something very special for you to look forward to.

image.png.f1c13e3c3c6978d2675e8490b034526b.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• Like 1

I cruise with my DM and we live together.  By the time we get home, I'm usually happy to go back to work after too much togetherness!  (And she's happy to have our house to herself during the day for the same reason!)  So, yes, definitely share a table of six for dinner.  A six top seems to be the perfect size to hear everyone; an eight top is just a little too big and I find that one can only speak with the person on either side.

Yes, you can go on separate excursions but it can be difficult for a solo on an excursion.  Mom had a not so pleasant experience on one excursion, because she wasn't part of a duo, so won't do it again.  I figure that I'll make it back to wherever we are (God willing) so I do what she wants to do so she's not alone.  As she is slowing down more and more, we are doing more HAL tours rather than private tours now (unless the private tour is a slower paced one).  I also try to pace our touring days with more half day tours and only have a full day tour once every few days (or days prior to sea days).

For Alaska excursions, I recommend the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour in Ketchikan.  It's a fun tour and she can sit the whole time if she wants to but she can see everything.  (This can be booked on your own which would save a few dollars.  Whale watching in Juneau (through HAL) is on a large catamaran with indoor seating.  I stood on the outside upper deck in the rain while DM stayed inside and warm and dry.  The train ride in Skagway is great, too.  Those tours, for both of you, will eat up your OBC and then some.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Since your night at PG is part of your incentives, you can't dictate the date and time of the reservation.  Don't despair, however.  If the time and date don't suit you or your mom, go to PG early in the cruise and ask maître d' to change it to suit you.  He may not be able to accommodate you if your preference is especially popular, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  

My mom and I cruised three times together.  Sadly, she's no longer alive, but I treasure those cruises we enjoyed together.  If your mother has ANY medical issues/dietary restrictions, such as low-salt diet, alert the Special Needs department or Ship's Services.  Do not wait until you board to take care of these concerns. 

Can your mother walk up an incline?  Although my mother resisted wheelchair assistance, I did request it for embarkation/disembarkation, and she later thanked me for it because she would have been unable to board by herself.  Please consider asking for assistance.  Again, make certain you request this assistance prior to the cruise.  HAL will be more than happy to accommodate her, but they need to know weeks before you leave for the cruise.  Keep all confirmations/emails with various departments.  Take them with you to the port. 

Months before the cruise, I begin a "cruise book."  I use a small loose-leaf binder and store the pages in the clear plastic sleeves. As I use the pages, i.e. airplane reservations etc., I toss that page.  By the end of the trip, the only pages left are plane/car rental (depending on how I'm getting home).  Obviously, I arrange the pages as I progress through the trip.  For our 24-day Med cruise, I had to use a larger binder, since we had so many excursions/hotels etc.  Oh, don't forget to include your TA's number or the number of your HAL PCC and insurance carrier just in case.

I would also advise flying in the day prior to embarkation, maybe two days prior to the cruise.  Traveling, even on a plane, would wear my mom out, and we first cruised when she was 84, slightly younger than your mom.  We took our last cruise when she was 92!  In fact, she celebrated that birthday aboard Westerdam, and HAL very generously moved us from OV to one of the suites for and extra $50 per person.  We didn't ask for that upgrade but were very pleased to receive it.

I hope you and your mom enjoy your time together, and I know you'll love Alaska.  How could anyone not love it?

This is all great advice. In addition to walking issues at the pier, there's the problem of standing. DH could walk the distance, but if the check-in line was slow, it could be more standing than he was comfortable with. So we arranged for wheelchair assistance for boarding. Another issue related to an older parent (or any traveler) is insurance. OP, if you haven't read it, check out the medicare thread on this board. Although you'll be in Alaska, don't assume Medicare works on the ship. I'm a firm believer in travel insurance. The cost increases with the age of the insured person, but it's worth it for peace of mind. 

I do something similar to the "cruise book," but I do it on the computer. I make an itinerary, listing info for each date--what the port is, what the times are, etc. I update it as I book tours and other special things. I keep a "to do" list at the top of the page and delete items as I get them done.  I include screen shots of hotel reservations, insurance info, etc. It's also a good idea to make a note of when your final payment is due. HAL or your TA will probably send a reminder, but it's good to have your own reminder. 

I also second the advice about flying a day early. It gives you a backup plan in case there's an issue with your flights and the chance to rest after the flight is good. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

our flight is short (Boise to Seattle), but we definitely will be coming in a day early and possibly staying a day after. She lived in Seattle in the 50's so it'd be fun to spend a little time exploring too! 

She is really healthy still, but I'm thinking getting wheelchair for embarkation might be a great idea! no one wants to start out a trip already exhausted! We are celebrating her 87th birthday on this cruise! Our TA set up a little birthday celebration for her ❤️ 

HAL is good about celebrating birthdays. The waiters will sing the Indonesian birthday song. Everyone claps along, it's a lot of fun. So you might want to spend her birthday in the MDR for that experience and save the Pinnacle for a different night. I don't think they sing to people in Pinnacle. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 2:36 PM, jennianne said:

I did nine cruises with my mum and even though she didn't use a walker I always rented a folding one.  It was delivered to the cabin and she liked to use it during the life boat drill so she could sit and also when the seas got rough.  You might consider this for your mum.

• Like 1

I cruised with my mom on HAL Koningsdam last year, it was great!  First cruise for us both, we also shared a veranda cabin.  I echo the suggestion about shared dining tables.  Our first dinner, we assumed we'd be seated at a table for two, but were surprised to be seated at a table for 4 with a couple.  We were apprehensive about that since neither of us is much of a social butterfly... but it turned out not to be as awkward as we feared, it was enjoyable and enhanced the rest of the cruise for us.  Whenever we ran into that couple on the ship after that, it was nice to catch up.  Looking back I wish we had dined with others once or twice more during our week on board.

• Like 1

Also, since you probably enjoy different onboard activities, plan do those independently of each other.  For example, I enjoy the occasional game of Bingo; DM does not.  I go and play Bingo and she does what she wants to do.  It gives both of us some "alone" time.  We catch up for meal times and other activities we enjoy together.

• Like 1