Wow four years ago

I think you are watching "real" rugby. Lately, some kind of world rugby, being played in japan, has been on TV here. It's a bit confusing since many of the teams are the same names as those you are talking about.

Anyone know what I'm talking about???

43 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

I think you are watching "real" rugby. Lately, some kind of world rugby, being played in japan, has been on TV here. It's a bit confusing since many of the teams are the same names as those you are talking about.

The rugby World Championships being played in Japan is rugby union which has a different number of players -15 compared to 12 for league, some different rules and is played all around the world. Rugby League which Mic and Mr GUT were talking about is the NSW and QLD equivalent of going to the football. It originated in the north of England I think in the late 1890s after a split from Union and the same occurred in here in NSW and QLD. It is mainly played in the north of England, Australia and new Zealand some Pacific Islands. I'm sure Mic or Mr GUT will correct me if I'm wrong.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

43 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

There are two codes of Rugby.

Rugby Union, the World Cup is on in Japan at the moment.

Ociana Cup is on in Auckland 

most would say Union is the real Rugby, League is my game of choice, though have played most types of football, Soccer, Aussie Rules, Union and League, as well as American Football (called Gridiron here).

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The rugby World Championships being played in Japan is rugby union which has a different number of players -15 compared to 12 for league, some different rules and is played all around the world. Rugby League which Mic and Mr GUT were talking about is the NSW and QLD equivalent of going to the football. It originated in the north of England I think in the late 1890s after a split from Union and the same occurred in here in NSW and QLD. It is mainly played in the north of England, Australia and new Zealand some Pacific Islands. I'm sure Mic or Mr GUT will correct me if I'm wrong.

Leigh

As always Leigh, you come to my rescue and explain my confusion. Great description. I had the sense that it came from England (but why are they playing in Japan???) but that was just a hunch.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

There are two codes of Rugby.

Rugby Union, the World Cup is on in Japan at the moment.

Ociana Cup is on in Auckland 

most would say Union is the real Rugby, League is my game of choice, though have played most types of football, Soccer, Aussie Rules, Union and League, as well as American Football (called Gridiron here).

This is also a good explanation, I get it now. And I never knew American football was called Gridiron there. In the future, should I call American pro football Gridiron so all you Aussies will be able to follow along 😉? I want to keep it simple for all you criminal descendants😁

Just kidding, I hope you all get that!

Rugby (Union), came into being when a young lad at Rugby School in England in about 1820’s picked up the ball and Ran. From Rugby School The came came to be known as Rugby Football. The boy was William Webb Ellis, hence th3 trophy they are playing for in Japan is the Webb Ellis Cup.

Jump forward about 70 years in Northern England when players (mainly working class blokes) lost pay after being injured playing the game for no payment, broke away to form the Northern Rugby League, Australia following in early 1900’s. 

Meanwhile in about the 1850s in Aus they set out to adopt the game to Australian conditions, (supposedly with limited body contact) and developed that game your Swans play.

i guess we call your game Gridiron to differentiate from all the other football codes, it wouldn’t be a bad game if they ditched the padding and got on with it, instead of taking a break every 10 seconds. It isn’t very big here, but I played a bit when I was at Uni.

as for convicts, I have only one or two in my tree, Mrs Gut has got scores, one of whom, a second fleeter if memory serves, set out to walk from Parramatta to China while 7 months pregnant and they only made it to North Sydney, (totally the wrong direction)

As for”Just kidding” you are taking another step towards honourary Aussieism. 

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Rugby (Union), came into being when a young lad at Rugby School in England in about 1820’s picked up the ball and Ran. From Rugby School The came came to be known as Rugby Football. The boy was William Webb Ellis, hence th3 trophy they are playing for in Japan is the Webb Ellis Cup.

Jump forward about 70 years in Northern England when players (mainly working class blokes) lost pay after being injured playing the game for no payment, broke away to form the Northern Rugby League, Australia following in early 1900’s. 

Meanwhile in about the 1850s in Aus they set out to adopt the game to Australian conditions, (supposedly with limited body contact) and developed that game your Swans play.

i guess we call your game Gridiron to differentiate from all the other football codes, it wouldn’t be a bad game if they ditched the padding and got on with it, instead of taking a break every 10 seconds. It isn’t very big here, but I played a bit when I was at Uni.

as for convicts, I have only one or two in my tree, Mrs Gut has got scores, one of whom, a second fleeter if memory serves, set out to walk from Parramatta to China while 7 months pregnant and they only made it to North Sydney, (totally the wrong direction)

As for”Just kidding” you are taking another step towards honorary  Aussieism. 

OMG, this is such a good message I may print it and put it on my wall. From the history (which I love and have no hope of hearing in the US) to the rightful criticism of our "game"  (it is so sloooow. Tonight, while I watched even college football be compromised, i thought we should allow points for the length of play reviews) to the embracing of family heritage and the number of convicts in the family tree, you make me want to visit the land down under again. Might be nice to move there.

One of my bucket list things is to be able to speak Aussie enough to communicate with you guys. I know bogan, meat pies, blighter (is that more Brit?),  and 'my shout' means I'll buy drinks but I fear I have  a lot to learn.

What other terms do I need to know to finally be an honorary Aussie?

My shout will get you there every time.

G’day is a must as is mate.

Heres a good link to start

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

There is a thread here somewhere.

as for history, ahhh, Mrs Gut has a PhD in history, mainly kids transported to Australia as convicts, hence our annual visits to Tasmania (well in part anyway).

yes, I forgot to use g'day, must be the wine!

That is a great link, thanks I'll study it. But do people really say "dill" for idiot  or "doodle' for penis??? (That seems a bit immature, even for grownup men!). Maybe that is the key to speaking Aussie--really exaggerate the point??

You’ll end up looking a right royal dill if you try to speak Aus.

Both are used a bit, but probably not a lot. Can’t recall last t8me I used dill, Galah works so much better, and Doodle I haven’t heard in yonks, probably use the same slang for Penis as you would.

To be totally honest a lot of it has disappeared (or gone the way of the dodo).

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Rugby World Cup in Japan = Rugby Union.

Internationals being played yesterday arvo = Rugby League.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

13 players, not 12. otherwise well done. The split was due to being paid to play.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

13 players, not 12. otherwise well done. The split was due to being paid to play.

And pay continued to be an issue that made players switch from Union to League into the 70s or 80s at least.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Oops I knew it was 13! Can I claim a mistype or a senior moment?

Thanks Mic, I couldn’t remember the reason for the split but money makes sense. 

Leigh

And pay continued to be an issue that made players switch from Union to League into the 70s or 80s at least.

I can vaguely recall that was an issue for Union to keep players. So League was the winner. I find it interesting that players still swap codes. 

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

I can vaguely recall that was an issue for Union to keep players. So League was the winner. I find it interesting that players still swap codes. 

Leigh

Though now I think more go from League to Union, where as it was for a long time all one way. In Australia I doubt League would have got off the ground without the great Daly Messenger switching to the new code.

I remember back in the 70s when the first $20,000 contract was signed in league, at a time when that was a good wage for a working man, so players worked as well as playing, many for the leagues club, or in sales where the name would open doors. Of course in League today million dollar contracts aren’t unusual. 

• Thanks 1

I remember doing some work at the Parramatta leagues club (1983) and there were at least 4 professional players that worked in the club when not training and doing football stuff. Eric Grothe and Michael Cronin were grounds keepers but they didn't wear anything for working outside. Peter Sterling and Brett Kenny did bar tending and the Bingo and again were not in the leagues club uniforms. 

Just now, MicCanberra said:

I remember doing some work at the Parramatta leagues club (1983) and there were at least 4 professional players that worked in the club when not training and doing football stuff. Eric Grothe and Michael Cronin were grounds keepers but they didn't wear anything for working outside. Peter Sterling and Brett Kenny did bar tending and the Bingo and again were not in the leagues club uniforms. 

I think it started with Big Artie at Easts in the mid 70s. Others took physical jobs, labourers, and Garbo were popular, especially Garbo as they had to run and toss around bins.

I think it started with Big Artie at Easts in the mid 70s. Others took physical jobs, labourers, and Garbo were popular, especially Garbo as they had to run and toss around bins.

Plus it was a step up from handling rugby league players, less crap in them.😊😊 

• Thanks 1

Hi mates

Just wanted to let you know that our dog (Smokee) had his surgery today and the surgeon said he is doing great. Will spend a night or 2 in the hospital, then come home to recover. He did find a nodule on Smokee's liver, which he removed. And they took some tissue samples to send for testing. Should hear back late next week. Fingers crossed.

I now return you to the very interesting discussion about rugby and it's history.

• Like 1

That is wonderful news, give him a big butt sniff from Maxy. And a pat from me.

Oh, he does love a big butt sniff, thanks 😁. He likes pats too but he likes treats even more. Just sayin'...

Thanks Mr Gut for your note.

31 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi mates

Just wanted to let you know that our dog (Smokee) had his surgery today and the surgeon said he is doing great. Will spend a night or 2 in the hospital, then come home to recover. He did find a nodule on Smokee's liver, which he removed. And they took some tissue samples to send for testing. Should hear back late next week. Fingers crossed.

I now return you to the very interesting discussion about rugby and it's history.

Great news, does that mean the trip is back on?