Wow four years ago

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Great news, does that mean the trip is back on?

Thanks Mic. Today the surgeon said, and I quote "Go on your trip, the Amazon is a trip of a lifetime". He thought it would be OK as long as the dogsitter can keep him calm. He is naturally very, shall we say 'low key'. Trip is still tentatively on, we have 2 1/2 weeks to be sure all is well.

1 minute ago, NoWhiners said:

Thanks Mic. Today the surgeon said, and I quote "Go on your trip, the Amazon is a trip of a lifetime". He thought it would be OK as long as the dogsitter can keep him calm. He is naturally very, shall we say 'low key'. Trip is still tentatively on, we have 2 1/2 weeks to be sure all is well.

That is good news as well. It feels me with more confidence that Smokee will be fine.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

That is good news as well. It feels me with more confidence that Smokee will be fine.

Yep, just hoping the results are not malignant cancer. Not a lot we can do if that happens but we would be able to squeeze in an oncology consult before we go, maybe start some supplements. Vet says there isn't a lot you can do for malignant liver tumors.

13 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Oh, he does love a big butt sniff, thanks 😁. He likes pats too but he likes treats even more. Just sayin'...

Thanks Mr Gut for your note.

Maxy loves treats to, will learn pretty much anything if there is a treat on offer. We have our daughters Dalmatian for a few weeks, with about four more to go, she has always said he isn’t overly interested in treats, all I can say is Max must be converting him he won’t even go out of a night unless there is a treat in the wings.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Maxy loves treats to, will learn pretty much anything if there is a treat on offer. We have our daughters Dalmatian for a few weeks, with about four more to go, she has always said he isn’t overly interested in treats, all I can say is Max must be converting him he won’t even go out of a night unless there is a treat in the wings.

LOL--this is how dogs are. Parents say the dog is <x> but when you take care of them dog is <y>, especially with treats. When she comes back, act like you don't know anything!

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Not sure if I have asked, but what breed is Smokee?

He is a Keeshond, one of the Non-sporting group. They were bred to be companions on Dutch barges. But he hates water!

Yep familiar with Keeshounds, my wife and I were involved in breeding, showing, stewarding and judging for many years, Dalmatians were our main breed. (But had a few others at times)

But as our health went down hill we weren’t able to provide the levels of activity they need, so after losing three to cancer in about six months, I said no more dogs, that lasted about eight years when we got a Chinese Crested, when he died (at 13 in a breed where the ave is about 8-10) it took a while and now I have sold my heart to Schnauzers, well one particular Schnauzer at least.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep familiar with Keeshounds, my wife and I were involved in breeding, showing, stewarding and judging for many years, Dalmatians were our main breed. (But had a few others at times)

But as our health went down hill we weren’t able to provide the levels of activity they need, so after losing three to cancer in about six months, I said no more dogs, that lasted about eight years when we got a Chinese Crested, when he died (at 13 in a breed where the ave is about 8-10) it took a while and now I have sold my heart to Schnauzers, well one particular Schnauzer at least.

They are somewhat unusual in our part of the US, all that fur and all. But they are great companions, too smart for their own good, and beautiful. Smokee is our 4th. I am thinking we may have to go to smaller dogs as we get older, easier to manage. Hubby loves beagles, so maybe one of them.

Our Keeshonds have all been rescues, and I'd like to keep doing that if we can. I love dogs!!

8 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

They are somewhat unusual in our part of the US, all that fur and all. But they are great companions, too smart for their own good, and beautiful. Smokee is our 4th. I am thinking we may have to go to smaller dogs as we get older, easier to manage. Hubby loves beagles, so maybe one of them.

Our Keeshonds have all been rescues, and I'd like to keep doing that if we can. I love dogs!!

Funny if I hadn’t got my Maxy a Beagle was the other breed in consideration, an old school mate of mine is heavily involved in the NSW Beagle Rescue association, even he couldn’t get me one they get snapped up so quick, then a  dear friend who we hadn’t seen in probably 20 years said she had a litter of Schnauzers on the way if I wanted one, so it was decided.

we have had numerous breeds, as a kid I had a border collie, followed by a cross breed mutt, that was just about the best dog ever lived, Mrs Gut had a Corgi and a Collie. When we had been married a couple of years she said she wanted a puppy or a baby, I opted for a pup, our first Dally, (maybe too much information to say she fell pregnant the weekend I bought him home) another followed, then we got involved in showing, had a few Australian Champions, then breeding, first litter turned out a few Aus Champions and a best in show winner and there we went. But return to education coupled with health problems put an end to showing and breeding, though I must say I am enjoying having a Dal around again, Miss G went on a 10 day cruise came home to a house guest for a week, and is then off to The Netherlands for a few weeks, so by the time she gets home we will have had him for about six or seven weeks, then a week later she is moving in here to care for max while we go on our next cruise so I suspect we will leave her boy here making it about 8 weeks.

I have to say I love pretty much all animals, at one stage we had a pet sheep that thought he was a dog, ate dog food, slept on a sheep skin rug that the dal used, we inherited her cat when it became apparent she had an allergy to it, have a tank full of fish, have had numerous birds, growing up we frequently had horse on the spare block during droughts.

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Funny if I hadn’t got my Maxy a Beagle was the other breed in consideration, an old school mate of mine is heavily involved in the NSW Beagle Rescue association, even he couldn’t get me one they get snapped up so quick, then a  dear friend who we hadn’t seen in probably 20 years said she had a litter of Schnauzers on the way if I wanted one, so it was decided.

we have had numerous breeds, as a kid I had a border collie, followed by a cross breed mutt, that was just about the best dog ever lived, Mrs Gut had a Corgi and a Collie. When we had been married a couple of years she said she wanted a puppy or a baby, I opted for a pup, our first Dally, (maybe too much information to say she fell pregnant the weekend I bought him home) another followed, then we got involved in showing, had a few Australian Champions, then breeding, first litter turned out a few Aus Champions and a best in show winner and there we went. But return to education coupled with health problems put an end to showing and breeding, though I must say I am enjoying having a Dal around again, Miss G went on a 10 day cruise came home to a house guest for a week, and is then off to The Netherlands for a few weeks, so by the time she gets home we will have had him for about six or seven weeks, then a week later she is moving in here to care for max while we go on our next cruise so I suspect we will leave her boy here making it about 8 weeks.

I have to say I love pretty much all animals, at one stage we had a pet sheep that thought he was a dog, ate dog food, slept on a sheep skin rug that the dal used, we inherited her cat when it became apparent she had an allergy to it, have a tank full of fish, have had numerous birds, growing up we frequently had horse on the spare block during droughts.

And there are certain people ( well ..one person ..three names)that says  you are.... all bull 😂😂

1 minute ago, gbenjo said:

And there are certain people ( well ..one person ..three names)that says  you are.... all bull 😂😂

Old nine names may have seen me eat a steak or a nice big chunk of roast beef.

33 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Funny if I hadn’t got my Maxy a Beagle was the other breed in consideration, ...

we have had numerous breeds, ...then we got involved in showing, had a few Australian Champions, then breeding, first litter turned out a few Aus Champions and a best in show winner and there we went. ... by the time she gets home we will have had him for about six or seven weeks, then a week later she is moving in here to care for max while we go on our next cruise so I suspect we will leave her boy here making it about 8 weeks.

I have to say I love pretty much all animals, at one stage we had a pet sheep that thought he was a dog, a

Mr Gut you have untold depth! Who knew you had all those great dogs, raised and judged them, and still take them in. Good onya!

I am a sucker for lost dogs, and sometimes cats, DH thinks I'm crazy. I know it sounds odd, but I think needy/sick animals are more worthy of my time than many humans. Maybe because animals don't vote????

I am missing Smokee but I am resisting the urge to call the hospital and check on him. I'm sure they hate that!

It is so quiet here without him...

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Beagles are great dogs, lovable, smart and loyal and also not very fussy when it comes to food.

21 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

So is Smokee the greyish colour, hence the name.

He is grey and black, with a curly tail. I'll add a pix (an action shot!).  We didn't name him, we rescued him and they called him Smokee Joe. We thought hat 2 names for a dog would be confusing, so we just called him Smokee. I always thought the 2 ee's were for Keeshond, not sure about the Smoke part!

Visited him twice today after surgery yesterday. He was groggy and unable to stand by himself but once he was up, he could walk. He wasn't eating or drinking, so they asked us to come and offer him water. We also brought him some cooked chicken. We got him to eat the chicken, drink some water and eat a bowl of their food. Came back about 4 hours later, he could stand up, walk, ate more chicken and a bunch of their food, drank  lots of water. Looks like he will come home tomorrow if this keeps up.

fingers crossed.

smokee dog1.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A beautiful boy, glad he is eating, I’d be using chicken to tempt Max too, it’s his favourite food.

Thanks. Yes, eating and drinking are his ticket out of the slammer,uh, I mean hospital 😁

He'll eat almost any meat/fish but chicken and salmon are his favs.