Dress Code and Dinner time

Caroldoll

14 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

One last question I have is where do you put the jacket in your backpack?

My thought was the same as Lois's below.

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am betting the poster wears his jacket while traveling as I don't think it would go in the backpack (just a guess).

13 hours ago, tripperva said:

Don't you miss the fun of different sport shirts and slacks? Dressing sharp isn't all bad.

That would be my problem for sure, the fun of it all.  While we love to try and look our best in a different outfit each day, to some, it just isn't important.  I remember one cruise we saw a couple wear the same evening outfit every night we saw them over the 10-night of the voyage.  Certainly not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

7 hours ago, Mulberry trader said:

Is a white tux acceptable for gentlemen...?

Absolutely Mulberry Trader!

I may wear the same pair of black slacks more than once-----but as for tops? That gets changed every night.:classic_smile:.

But the same outfit every single night? Nope, not something I would do either.....too many variables for that......

from what if something spills to I just feel like wearing something else:classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:59 AM, twinklles said:

We never do formal night.  You can go to any Michelin 3* without a tie (and most without even a jacket).  Why do I want to put on a costume that is uncomfortable.  I do bring a jacket and wear it most nights.

This picture of our entire luggage for an 11 night cruise and 5 day post cruise might help to clarify why we don't like formal night.  (Would be the same amount of luggage if it was a 100 night cruise.)

19143259_10210548962254919_7932661931943897510_o.jpg

Wow.... I had to do a double/triple take on this post...Kudos to "twinkles" for being able to travel like this...

For me.... I carry more than that as my carry on.  I consider myself to be a very organized packer, but still I need a large suitcase and small suitcase for myself ( a guy). Between multiple jackets for dinner and coordinating pants/shirts/ties/pocket squares, different shoes/sneakers (both formal and casual), casualwear, bathing suits, workout attire, etc. i couldn't come close to packing like this, even for a weekend trip.  And this doesn't include if its a longer trip with formal nights, then i need to pack my tux and all of the formal accompaniments.

• Like 1

Also we are bringing clothes for our Alaska cruise in 2020 for both sunshine in Vancouver and cold rain at the Glaciers and north of Anchorage - so have 2 suitcases between us plus 2 hand luggage for the camera gear! And we still intend to eat in La Terrazza on the formal optional night so my husband doesn't need to bring a tie.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, ketjupiter said:

Wow.... I had to do a double/triple take on this post...Kudos to "twinkles" for being able to travel like this...

For me.... I carry more than that as my carry on.  I consider myself to be a very organized packer, but still I need a large suitcase and small suitcase for myself ( a guy). Between multiple jackets for dinner and coordinating pants/shirts/ties/pocket squares, different shoes/sneakers (both formal and casual), casualwear, bathing suits, workout attire, etc. i couldn't come close to packing like this, even for a weekend trip.  And this doesn't include if its a longer trip with formal nights, then i need to pack my tux and all of the formal accompaniments.

Myself and my DH traveled for a year with a duffle bag each, slightly larger than the backpacks shown but not much (maximal carry on size).  That year included 2 cruises, both of which had formal nights.  DH had a beautiful dark Armani suit made out of the most wonderful fabric that was very light and didn't wrinkle.  Yes, he flew wearing the jacket but he rolled the pants carefully around a sweater and they did remarkably well.  For my part, before each cruise I visited a vintage shop wherever we happened to be and picked up 2-3 "formal" dresses for the cruise, then left them behind in my cabin with a note for the steward that they could be given away to anyone who could use them.  One one cruise I got very lucky and my dresses were terrific (I was sad to leave them behind), on the other I had one great dress and one I would not really have chosen, but it was suitable and the best I could find.  All in all it worked really well and was WAY better than babysitting checked baggage with all the traveling we were doing that year (most of it, apart from the cruises, rather off the beaten track).  it can be done!

3 hours ago, JTor said:

Myself and my DH traveled for a year with a duffle bag each, slightly larger than the backpacks shown but not much (maximal carry on size).  That year included 2 cruises, both of which had formal nights.  DH had a beautiful dark Armani suit made out of the most wonderful fabric that was very light and didn't wrinkle.  Yes, he flew wearing the jacket but he rolled the pants carefully around a sweater and they did remarkably well.  For my part, before each cruise I visited a vintage shop wherever we happened to be and picked up 2-3 "formal" dresses for the cruise, then left them behind in my cabin with a note for the steward that they could be given away to anyone who could use them.  One one cruise I got very lucky and my dresses were terrific (I was sad to leave them behind), on the other I had one great dress and one I would not really have chosen, but it was suitable and the best I could find.  All in all it worked really well and was WAY better than babysitting checked baggage with all the traveling we were doing that year (most of it, apart from the cruises, rather off the beaten track).  it can be done!

Believe me.. unfortunately i know all too well about tracking bags... Delta/KLM somehow didn't get all 3 of our suitcases on the plane from Boston to Amsterdam, this last May, even though we were in business class and they were clearly marked/tagged/labeled as priority.....We had to buy all new clothes/toiletries/shoes/etc. for everyting that we could possibly need for a 10 night cruise.  After buying all of our stuff, and 2 1/2 days waiting, our bags literally showed up at the plank, 5 minutes before departure.  SS had to reopen the door, and have the plank/gangway reextended to allow the items on the ship.  KLM business was very helpful during the process and lets just say, they took very good care of us.. with the exception of the stress of shopping for everything that we would need.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:17 PM, Mulberry trader said:

Thanks for the info. This is our first cruise. We will be cruising from Mumbai to the Persian Gulf, so I guess that classes as Tropical.

If your on Silver Spirit in March 2020 on this route, then there will be at least two of us in a white jacket

1 hour ago, Mulberry trader said:

Good to know. Thanks for letting me know. Yes, my wife and I are on that cruise - our first ever cruise.

Hi, your first cruise ever? How fun!!!!!!!!!!  I hope you have an absolutely fantastic time!!!:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, SWFLAOK said:

Thanks for that info. We have a 36 night cruise the next time we're on the Whisper, so we may want to try the Pool Grill for dinner again to have more variety. We'll definitely ask to have them cook the steak before bringing it to the table, and we'll try to get a table as far upwind as possible.

On our last Silversea cruise in November of last year,  I ordered something that I didn't need to cook. I guess it was pretty forgettable since I can't remember what it was, but my goal was to not cook it myself.  My husband and brother both chose to cook, and it was not a pleasant experience for any of us. We had already made another reservation for the Pool Grill, and cancelled it the next morning.

Are reservations for the Grill now necessary?

On 11/8/2019 at 11:59 AM, twinklles said:

We never do formal night.  You can go to any Michelin 3* without a tie (and most without even a jacket).  Why do I want to put on a costume that is uncomfortable.  I do bring a jacket and wear it most nights.

This picture of our entire luggage for an 11 night cruise and 5 day post cruise might help to clarify why we don't like formal night.  (Would be the same amount of luggage if it was a 100 night cruise.)

19143259_10210548962254919_7932661931943897510_o.jpg

5 hours ago, Mahogany said:

I don't think they were required, but since we could make reservations, and it was quite full if the weather was good,  and casual attire was allowed, we made 2 reservations. We cancelled the second one after the first try. If I remember correctly, La Dame was the only reservation required, rather than recommended, restaurant, with a $60 dollar charge. La Terrazza recommended reservations, and The Restaurant didn't take them.

I am getting ready to take my 3rd SS cruise and it will be the first time trying La Dame----I am very much looking

forward to it!!!:classic_biggrin:...….I have found the food on my previous 2 cruises to be excellent and hoping this will be

no exception!

19 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Absolutely needed?  Probably no.  Recommended?  Absolutely yes.  Availability does differ from ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary.  For instance on the Wind with its fewer dining venues and a warm weather itinerary the Grill can be booked pretty solid.   On the other hand our last cruise on the Spirit started in November in Italy and it was cold and rainy for the first few days. No problem getting a table.  By the time we got to the Suez Canal the Grill was pretty well booked up but with the more numerous dining venues on the Spirit you could probably have gotten a table. 

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

Absolutely needed?  Probably no.  Recommended?  Absolutely yes.  Availability does differ from ship to ship, itinerary to itinerary.  For instance on the Wind with its fewer dining venues and a warm weather itinerary the Grill can be booked pretty solid.   On the other hand our last cruise on the Spirit started in November in Italy and it was cold and rainy for the first few days. No problem getting a table.  By the time we got to the Suez Canal the Grill was pretty well booked up but with the more numerous dining venues on the Spirit you could probably have gotten a table. 

Can you pre-book for the Grill, or only once onboard? I'll be on Spirit in July. As for La Dame, I enjoyed it and recommend pre-booking. If you see the menu once onboard and don't like it,  you can cancel with, I believe, a day's notice, with no penalty.

35 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Can you pre-book for the Grill, or only once onboard? I'll be on Spirit in July. As for La Dame, I enjoyed it and recommend pre-booking. If you see the menu once onboard and don't like it,  you can cancel with, I believe, a day's notice, with no penalty.

Yes you can pre-book the Grill on line prior to your cruise.   We sail in 11 days but I am our reservations a couple of months ago.

I used not to pre-book because I thought 'I don't know where, when or with whom I'll want to dine' but now I make a lot of bookings on 'My Silversea' pre-cruise because it is easier to cancel unwanted ones, (or change the number of diners), than try and be squeezed into a fully booked venue. You can cancel by phone, by Butler, or at the Reception desk - all very quick and easy. And that doesn't stop you making other bookings once on board.

For non-fee venues, they like cancellations by 6pm on the day, altho' it's a courtesy to cancel as soon as you know you're going to.

For fee venues, it's cancel by 2pm on the day to avoid paying the fee.

Edited by jollyjones