Frizzy hair

cruisegirl1976

On 10/30/2019 at 5:51 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Not just the curly heads -- I remember my older sister (in high school during late 60s/early 70s) and her friends all wearing those cans -- I think they used OJ cans. And my sister's hair is like mine -- thick and mostly straight... By the time I was in high school, everyone was sporting the more natural look, thank goodness.

By the way, I hate my graying hair.  I always had heard that hair texture can change when you start going gray, but I didn't expect the weird waviness/wiriness of the gray strands, which do not mix in AT ALL with the hair that's not gone gray yet.  It's like two different heads of hair -- not fully straight and not fully wavy.  I fight with it every morning. 

ok, the grey hair thing,   I've had a stripe on the right side of my head for about  4 years now, which I've been fine with, it's pretty much the same texture as the rest of my basic brown hair....  however in the last year I'm getting greys mixed in here & there & some of them are this crazy thick, wiry straight weirdness, & to top it off there's the occasional piece of corkscrew curly wiry hair.  

At this point, coloring it is not gong to happen,  I"m just not good at making the time to dedicate myself to hair color upkeep every 4 to 6 weeks...  

Anytime I'm not going to be outside I wear a hat for sun protection, maybe that will be my solution lol..   

On 10/29/2019 at 8:39 AM, cruisegirl1976 said:

Ok ladies.. how do you deal with the humidity in the caribbean?.. my hair goes complete frizz as soon as I walk outside.. always have to wear my hair up.. I use biosilk at home.. which works, but it can't handle the caribbean weather., and also if there are certain shampoo's / conditioners that are better for frizzy hair?

What I can finally swear by is Tweak'd by Nature Bye-Bye Frizz! Flexible Finishing. AKA Tamed.  (the creator is from Ojon). You can buy it on HSN or QVC.  I have tried every product imaginable for the past 20 yrs or more & right now this is the ONLY product that works for me.  We go to Florida every year & I wouldn't be without it.  Absolutely no frizz!  And my curly hair looks like a tent when it's frizzy but not with this product.  Good luck in your search!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 3:40 PM, beachgoddess said:

What I can finally swear by is Tweak'd by Nature Bye-Bye Frizz! Flexible Finishing. AKA Tamed.  (the creator is from Ojon). You can buy it on HSN or QVC.  I have tried every product imaginable for the past 20 yrs or more & right now this is the ONLY product that works for me.  We go to Florida every year & I wouldn't be without it.  Absolutely no frizz!  And my curly hair looks like a tent when it's frizzy but not with this product.  Good luck in your search!

Thank you

On 10/29/2019 at 10:34 AM, slidergirl said:

Just go with the flow of the frizz.

That's my attitude.  And I have straight hair that just gets un-straight but not curly.  Dammit 🙂  We were in SE Asia a few years ago.  100 degree temp and 95% humidity.  My hair looked awful every day but I loved everything we did.  Do you see/read any men asking these questions???

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I second the idea of a keratin straightening treatment. I started getting one each year in May. I live in the south and the heat and humidity of summers made my hair go crazy. Get the treatment in May would then last me all year. Gone are my days of checking the weather before I decided to go curly or straight. I started with a Pravana product, but it was discontinued. I have used Brazilian and Keratin Complex. My hair is healthy and happy. A sulphate free shampoo helps too.

• Like 1

Just dropping in with hope for those of you with the crazy stray grays. When I had a few gray hairs they were wiry. They stuck straight out from my head and asserted themselves. “Hello! Look here! You’re getting old.” 

Now that my salt and pepper hair is 75% salt, the texture has calmed down to the soft, wavy but not curly texture I’ve always had.

• 3 weeks later...

At home, I used to have my hair professionally blown out once a week, because I could not manage my curly, frizzy mess of a head of hair myself.  Then the pandemic came along, and I discovered the Revlon one-step volumizing blow dryer with the hair brush attached thing.  Game-changer.  I can blow out my own hair at home now, which is nice (and an incredible money saver).

On cruise ships, I always get the keratin treatment.  It lasts a couple of months (sometimes three months) and keeps my long hair straight (then straight-ish) and frizz-free and so much easier to manage.