Are "Duty Free" items reportable to customs?

denmarks

59 minutes ago, clo said:

I agree with every thing you wrote.  A lot of 'art' that we have is from trips. And I agree that the 'stuff' in the touristy areas are frequently 'crap' or over priced. I'm not saying one has to pay a lot of money. But may $15 instead of $5 for something authentic.

Okay - I'll bite. Other than some string bracelet woven by a child, what authentic "souvenirs" are you suggesting would cost $15? 

To the OP:

1. Always, if/when asked either in writing (form) or verbally by official. 

2. If not asked, you may wish to make a voluntary declaration.

3. Be aware of your DF limits and what you will have to pay if you exceed any of them.

Edited by Canuker

6 hours ago, clo said:

We been finding so many souvenirs to be "Hecho in China" which for us is a deal breaker.  Not because it's Chinese but because it's not 'local.'  Just us.

I just don't collect many souvenirs.  I travel too much, my house would be overflowing. 😄

I do pick up fridge magnets for a friend's daughter. 

And I do tend to pick up local liquors.  And yes, my house is FILLED with them. 🙂

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Okay - I'll bite. Other than some string bracelet woven by a child, what authentic "souvenirs" are you suggesting would cost $15? 

We're away for a few days. If I can find this thread again, I'll snap some pix and post.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:17 AM, denmarks said:

When you purchase items in the duty free shops onboard are they reportable on your customs declaration?

Anything that you purchase while abroad has to be declared when you return to the US with a few exceptions for some art and loose jewels. Duty free simply means that the seller did not have to pay a duty on the goods when they bought them. Tax free means that you don't have to pay sales tax on the items. Neither means anything about bringing goods back into the US.

12 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Anything that you purchase while abroad has to be declared when you return to the US with a few exceptions for some art and loose jewels. Duty free simply means that the seller did not have to pay a duty on the goods when they bought them. Tax free means that you don't have to pay sales tax on the items. Neither means anything about bringing goods back into the US.

That is where people get confused. They don't understand that duty free means the seller did not pay duty. It does not mean the buyer does not have to pay duty. The idea of duty free shops is that the items for sale theoretically are sold at a lower price because the seller did not have to pay duty that was included in the price. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

friends of ours recently returned from a cruise

they'd spent a good bit on board (gift shops) and more on shore

their interpretation of the no longer required 'form' was that a declaration was not necessary (boo boo #1 ... alto the form is not required, if you are over your limits you are expected to make a voluntary declaration.)

on leaving the ship they found themselves directed to a 'special line' and Mr Customs asked if Mr would like to make a declaration, while Mrs went to round up their bags.  Mr said "no, we're good" .. booboo #2 ... if Customs ASKS for a declaration, shouldn't you get suspicious . . . .

Mr Customs handed a form and suggested Mr fill it out ... which he did, neglecting several items bought on board which would have put them over exemption ... but they also had a false impression of what their exemption was and believed items under exemption did not need be declared.  Situation going downhill fast.  Mr Customs looked at form and handed it BACK to Mr and asked "would you like to revise this?"

"NO, we're good" ...... booboo #3 .... when Mr Customs suggests you revise the form MAYBE you should suspect they KNOW something.

After a search and asking for receipts they were handed a bill for DUTY owed ...... 😮

They were SHOCKED that Customs appeared to have a list of things they'd purchased . . . .

IME, declaring everything results in Mr Customs waving you thru .......

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 8:44 PM, Charles4515 said:

That is where people get confused. They don't understand that duty free means the seller did not pay duty. It does not mean the buyer does not have to pay duty. The idea of duty free shops is that the items for sale theoretically are sold at a lower price because the seller did not have to pay duty that was included in the price. 

And, if the seller paid duty on them, and then you declare them and have to pay duty, you end up paying duty twice.

But, that does NOT mean duty free is necessarily cheaper overall. 🙂