Getting to Elite faster

Alaska05

I know I've read on here in the past on how to maximize getting to Elite level quiciker.  Did a search and couldn't find.

So, here's my question.  We have 12 cruise credits, need 3 more.

If we would take a 1 day cruise as a single traveler (book 2 rooms) would we each get 2 cruise credits?

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

I know I've read on here in the past on how to maximize getting to Elite level quiciker.  Did a search and couldn't find.

So, here's my question.  We have 12 cruise credits, need 3 more.

If we would take a 1 day cruise as a single traveler (book 2 rooms) would we each get 2 cruise credits?

Thanks.

Yes, any single cruise segment, regardless of length, counts as 1 cruise credit. When booked as a solo in the cabin, it's 2 credits, regarles of cruise length. Booked as a solo, in a full suite, and it's 3 credits, regardless of cruise length. 

We got there faster than I thought we would by taking a couple of short cruises back to back: two 4-day cruises. My goal was to get to Elite by the time we retired. We made it two years ahead of time due to those short cruises and another 5-day one. I took my first two solo cruises this summer. I'm now four cruise credits ahead of DH. I'm booked for another solo cruise in December. (He's still working part time on a contractual basis and can't get off.) I'll be at the next level of loyalty credit when we take our cruise together in January.

I wouldn't book a 1-day cruise specifically to get to Elite quicker. The perks are not really worth it. 

13 minutes ago, TM said:

Agreed.  Why pay for the cost of a cruise and all the associated expenses just to get free laundry and a minibar setup?  Just doesn't make financial sense to me.

on a typical 7 day cruise  the jump to the highest level might be worth around $ 200 ( 50 minibar, 2@75 laundry)

but prestige wise ... priceless ( at least to some ) :classic_ninja:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do agree the added benefits of Elite vs. Platinum are probably not worth the cost.

I am not looking to flaunt my status.  Once on board I look at everyone as an equal -- we all have access to the same amenities as far as food, entertainment, etc.  I'm not even sure I'd used the laundry perk.  I'm particular about my laundry and probably would prefer to just do my own on a longer cruise.

At this point we usually book an inside and are just happy to be on board.

We've pretty much booked with Princess, but once we get to Platinum we may branch out with other lines.  We have cruised HAL once and were not happy with the food on board that particular ship, but I do like some of their itineraries.

Thanks to all for clarifying.

Son did a 1 day from Seattle to Vancouver then a 3 day from Vancouver to San Francisco (different ship) solo for 4 credits.  He wanted Elite before a long cruise.  Remember that only one person in a normal cabin needs to be Elite to get the minibar and laundry privileges.  We did Seattle to Vancouver then different ship to LA in suite for 3 credits each, non-solo for the same reason.  Having free laundry is a real benefit on Panama and TA cruises.  Son was doing around 20 days down Amazon to Ft Lauderdale.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alaska05 said:

We've pretty much booked with Princess, but once we get to Platinum we may branch out with other lines.  We have cruised HAL once and were not happy with the food on board that particular ship, but I do like some of their itineraries.

Thanks to all for clarifying.

Why do you need to wait?

We are not Elites with Princess. Just Platinums (6 cruises about 50 nights). Which is completely fine.

Cruised with virtually all lines and slowly got to higher statuses (similar to Elite with Princess), but it never was a target of our cruising.

Variety is well worth it.

HAL is our less cruised line - only 2 cruises - for a different reason, but food lately was pretty good.

We also wanted to become elite before our Panama Canal cruise so we booked a 1-day cruise with me solo in a suite and my DH in an inside solo. I ended up getting an upgrade to the Owner's suite but, my husband got the best deal he went from an inside cabin(which of course he never planned on staying in) to the Owner's suite😊

• Like 2

1 minute ago, toads45froggy said:

Some do I wasnt saying you want to, I have read on these boards the top tiers use it as a "I am elite tier blah blah blah" I wasnt saying you were I was just giving a reason it matters to some my apologies.

Thanks.  Guess I’m a little sensitive today.

One point, we have found this whole elite thing....

To some it is the holy grail, to us we just love to go cruising... 

Suggestion is just go in a suite and you have the whole thing plus more.

It would be interesting if they offer a white card for those whom don't care about captain's circle status.....

So enjoy your cruise no matter what level you are

Cheers Don

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Alaska05 said:

We have 12 cruise credits, need 3 more.

9 hours ago, Alaska05 said:

once we get to Platinum

I am puzzled.  In your original post, you asked about Elite and clearly have more than enough to be Platinum.  In the second post, you stated ".... once we get to Platinum...".  Which is it?

BTW, I agree with others that spending money just for the sake of achieving Elite status isn't worth the additional perks from Platinum.  My wife just turned Elite and she will be on our upcoming cruise in 10 days, and I will earn it on that cruise.  Yes, it will be nice, but I wouldn't throw money at it.  We just cruised when it made sense and we wanted to.  

15 hours ago, Alaska05 said:

Really!?!

Definitely! We just got off the Regal (New England/Canada) and I distinctly remember seeing one person walking around with a shirt that had the word "Elite" on it. And they made sure everyone knew it.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, dog said:

priority tendering is a benefit too

17 hours ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

now if only they could make it priority tendering to return to the ship THAT would be a real benefit!

otherwise ... meh

That would be a great perk if they ever allowed it.

I'd trade in my laundry, priority embarkation & Elite lounge for that one. :classic_rolleyes: