Getting to Elite faster

Alaska05

10 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I am puzzled.  In your original post, you asked about Elite and clearly have more than enough to be Platinum.  In the second post, you stated ".... once we get to Platinum...".  Which is it?

BTW, I agree with others that spending money just for the sake of achieving Elite status isn't worth the additional perks from Platinum.  My wife just turned Elite and she will be on our upcoming cruise in 10 days, and I will earn it on that cruise.  Yes, it will be nice, but I wouldn't throw money at it.  We just cruised when it made sense and we wanted to.  

Sorry about that.  I meant to say Elite.  I tend to get my levels mixed up.

I agree it’s not worth spending extra money to get there faster for the little bit of extra perks. We’ll get there when and if it ever happens.

• Like 1

I will admit that I did a solo cabin on a one-day cruise to get to Platinum and have done a number of short cruises (including several solo cruises )in the process of working up to Elite, but yes, I don't think the benefits are really worth going out of your way for.  The laundry benefit would probably be more useful if the Princess ships didn't have self-serve laundry (even if I have to pay for it I think I'd rather just do my own laundry), but I don't drink alcohol or coffee, so the minibar is basically useless to me.  That means that the only thing I really use is the priority embarkation, and the shorter line at the Passenger Services Desk.

We got to Platinum fast because we took several 10 to 14 day cruises.  It surprised us how fast we got to that level as we weren't trying.  As for the perks?  Meh.  The embarkation process is now so fast in most ports that it doesn't matter what level you are and the "Elite waiting areas" are just more chairs grouped together … it isn't like Skyclub or some exclusive club scene.  And you don't have to be Platinum or Elite to be seated in those areas, just traveling with someone who is.  They also tend to put travelers that need extra assistance getting on board in that area.

Other perks?  I've yet to really experience anything exceptional with them especially if you continue to travel inside-cabin.  I'd focus on itinerary and cost and not worry about Circle Level.  It only seems to mean anything to those who want it or need it to mean something.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, skynight said:

As one that has been Elite for 10 years I would suggest you look at the financials. Other than laundry and a mini bar very little $$ benefit.

I totally agree.   This is a pricey way to pick up a couple of extra perks.  We have been Elite for a few years now and the price of an extra cabin (even for a one night cruise) will not be offset by the Elite perks.  Unless, of course, you find personal value in having the "black card".

We just completed our first cruise with Princess (elite on Celebrity and MSC)...The priority tendering (or whatever Princess calls it) was the one perk we really missed!

We had 2 tender ports (NE/Canada), and the first day was a MESS.  Second port we went down early and got right on the first tender(before the madness).

On 10/29/2019 at 2:23 PM, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

now if only they could make it priority tendering to return to the ship THAT would be a real benefit!

otherwise ... meh

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That would be a great perk if they ever allowed it.

I'd trade in my laundry, priority embarkation & Elite lounge for that one. :classic_rolleyes:

I doubt that would ever be a benefit.

Think of a cruise with 1000 elites on it (as happens often enough). Now think of the non-elite passengers waiting in a line (possibly in the rain and/or cold) for an hour or more as elite passengers walk right past them to get onto the tenders (water shuttles).

On 10/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, skynight said:

As one that has been Elite for 10 years I would suggest you look at the financials. Other than laundry and a mini bar very little $$ benefit.

And it would be cheaper to pay for laundry or use the self service machines and buy drinks than to pay the single supplement twice.  Also those one day reposition cruises require transportation back home. I never understand this logic as the benefits are not worth it and I couldn't care less about any status. I'm to the point where a 7 day cruise isn't long enough if I have to fly some place.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Think of a cruise with 1000 elites on it (as happens often enough). Now think of the non-elite passengers waiting in a line (possibly in the rain and/or cold) for an hour or more as elite passengers walk right past them to get onto the tenders (water shuttles).

Know something. I used to think that way a while back but now I've come to realize that I've paid my way to receive such a benefit. If the non Elites didn't want to wait that long in line they simply should have arrived sooner or simply waited until the line got shorter. It would also encourage people to sail more often to reach Elite so they could also take advantage of it.

Princess of course they could always not have priority re-boarding at their discretion, if the weather was bad. 

Does anyone know if any of the other cruise lines offer such a perk?

3 hours ago, caribill said:

I have read too many threads on how certain itineraries are loaded with elites and it takes days to get your laundry back. 1000 elites will be waiting in the rain as well. Consider that they have to leave at a certain time. If they offer this service there is no need for elites to rush back allowing enough time to tender. They only have so many tenders. They would still have to get the passengers on board and the 1000 elites will still be waiting for a tender with the other 2000 non elites.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They would still have to get the passengers on board and the 1000 elites will still be waiting for a tender with the other 2000 non elites.

So true. 

If they ever did instate such a perk I could hear the discussions now with people trying to bring their non-Elite friends along with them for boarding. 😲 

15 hours ago, 2pbears said:

I totally agree.   This is a pricey way to pick up a couple of extra perks.  We have been Elite for a few years now and the price of an extra cabin (even for a one night cruise) will not be offset by the Elite perks.  Unless, of course, you find personal value in having the "black card".

Personally I value being on however many cruises that it takes to get to the status more than the status itself. I feel a short cut would only be cheating myself. I guess this is also the reason that I'm not loyal to one line.

23 hours ago, MadMouser said:

Definitely! We just got off the Regal (New England/Canada) and I distinctly remember seeing one person walking around with a shirt that had the word "Elite" on it. And they made sure everyone knew it.

That's as bad as those walking around on Royal Caribbean with a name badge the cruise line gives them that says Pinnacle member.  It screams loser to me.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's as bad as those walking around on Royal Caribbean with a name badge the cruise line gives them that says Pinnacle member.  It screams loser to me.

That does it.

I'm going to make up some stickers to cover my Medallion status next cruise with some different color than they use.

Let everyone guess my status level.   😎

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

That does it.

I'm going to make up some stickers to cover my Medallion status next cruise with some different color than they use.

You should. People will find you interesting and mysterious.

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You should. People will find you interesting and mysterious.

At least I wouldn't be advertizing my level to everyone which seems silly. I never did that before we had Medallions so why start now. 

On 10/29/2019 at 10:17 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Just be patient. As noted above, the minibar, laundry, and faster boarding isn't worth it.

Priority boarding (embarkation) is not happening on medallion ships. But tender priority remains

9 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Priority boarding (embarkation) is not happening on medallion ships. But tender priority remains

What do you mean?  This can only refer to the time when boarding has already commenced. 

AFAIK, Elites & Suites are still grouped to board first in the waiting area.  Platinums still grouped to follow.  And then the rest of the crowd.  After boarding has commenced, passengers checking in simply board when processed.

In LA everyone with medallions were put into the same queue. There wasn't an elite / suite option. Elite / suite who didn't have one, or 'forgot' it, were able to do priority boarding and get one. Same thing apparently at the Crown Princess in Florida according to:Screenshot_20191031-070617_Chrome.jpg.c506f4970d4ee73f2f32a603cd87a7e1.jpg

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That does it.

yes, just request a white medallion ...:classic_ninja:

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

OK sounds neat but what is a white Medallion?

Can you request one on board? 

I've not yet seen one. 

I was only joking about the white card or medallion   ( post 20 )

was about this for an idea

Rainbow status163387401_CAPTAINCIRCLELOGO_1_coloured.jpg.8de3eaa7264ace9f3bc1fa714deaf473.jpg

Also really not care about the colour, as long as I am on a cruise

Cheers Don

Ps If being in front is so important get a suite.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

OK sounds neat but what is a white Medallion?

Can you request one on board? 

I've not yet seen one. 

Paint it with white-out, or pick a color of your favorite nail polish, the bottle has that ever so handy brush. Co-ordinate medallion colors to match your outfit or nails and toes.

Be your own Rembrandt.

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

In LA everyone with medallions were put into the same queue. There wasn't an elite / suite option. Elite / suite who didn't have one, or 'forgot' it, were able to do priority boarding and get one. Same thing apparently at the Crown Princess in Florida according to:Screenshot_20191031-070617_Chrome.jpg.c506f4970d4ee73f2f32a603cd87a7e1.jpg

Not first time I have heard of irregularities in LA.  That post you referred to regarding Crown was NOT AT ALL about Princess not observing normal priority boarding.  If I was in a terminal and observed that the situation was abnormal, I would be seeking out a Princess in-charge to discuss (not the temp check-in crew).

Edited by steelers36