Getting to Elite faster

Alaska05

We wanted to get to Elite before a 31 day South American cruise so we took back-to-back 1-day cruises from Seattle to Vancouver (with a busride in-between). I got a suite and DH got an inside cabin—giving me 6 credits and him 4, I think, which nudged me to Elite.

I did it mostly for the free internet (I like doing my own laundry!). And getting on early means I can book Sanctuary right away AND sign up for Chef’s Table. So, for us, it isn’t about the status per se but the perks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muggo11 said:

We wanted to get to Elite before a 31 day South American cruise so we took back-to-back 1-day cruises from Seattle to Vancouver (with a busride in-between). I got a suite and DH got an inside cabin—giving me 6 credits and him 4, I think, which nudged me to Elite.

I did it mostly for the free internet (I like doing my own laundry!). And getting on early means I can book Sanctuary right away AND sign up for Chef’s Table. So, for us, it isn’t about the status per se but the perks. 

Don't you get the same internet minutes as platinum or elite? I thought so. Which means attaining elite status for that was for naught.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Don't you get the same internet minutes as platinum or elite? I thought so. Which means attaining elite status for that was for naught.

I will also add that I booked the chef's table when we were only gold. The only people who know to book on arrival are those who follow Cruise Critic which is only 2% of the entire cruise population. The price is so high now that it's just not worth it to us anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

Yes.  It is based on the length of the cruise regardless of whether you are platinum or elite.

24 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I agree that the Chef's Table isn't worth it to us after it went up in price. I did it three times. I don't need another copy of the cookbook. 

Did you ever make a recipe from the cookbook?  We made the Fettuccine Alfredo once.

13 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

Paint it with white-out, or pick a color of your favorite nail polish, the bottle has that ever so handy brush. Co-ordinate medallion colors to match your outfit or nails and toes.

Be your own Rembrandt.

Crud. 

Re: internet minutes. Yup, you are right. I forgot . In any event, we had fun racking up the credits and seeing friends in Seattle at the same time. And it is the only suite I will ever be able to afford (we are frugal interior types) And we still enjoy Chef’s Table. Always a hoot. Each to his own!  

On 10/31/2019 at 9:51 AM, steelers36 said:

What do you mean?  This can only refer to the time when boarding has already commenced. 

AFAIK, Elites & Suites are still grouped to board first in the waiting area.  Platinums still grouped to follow.  And then the rest of the crowd.  After boarding has commenced, passengers checking in simply board when processed.

Not what we observed on our recent Caribbean Princess cruise.  The MedallionNet stuff was a mess for some, easy peezy for others.  We had a super easy check in despite not getting our medallions until embarkation day and the app only half way working and that half very glitchy.  After check in you were handed a card with a group number on it and it didn't matter what your "color" was.  

I'm sure some of it was due to other factors, but the MedallionNet hot mess certainly played a part in it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mamkmm2 said:

Not what we observed on our recent Caribbean Princess cruise.  The MedallionNet stuff was a mess for some, easy peezy for others.  We had a super easy check in despite not getting our medallions until embarkation day and the app only half way working and that half very glitchy.  After check in you were handed a card with a group number on it and it didn't matter what your "color" was.  

I'm sure some of it was due to other factors, but the MedallionNet hot mess certainly played a part in it.

Sorry but does not compute as group cards are for regular passengers.  They may have group cards for late Platinum arrivers.  When we were there last as Platinums we were upstairs but had arrived early and I know not all Platinums may fit up there and others may have to wait downstairs.  This is Terminal 2 I mean at Port Everglades.  

What Terminal were you in?  They still have Elite and Suites room upstairs.  Someone was doing something wrong if what you say is true.  And passenger with priority should say something on own behalf.

Will see it all for myself next Thursday.

BTW, Medallion Net is the ship's internet.  Nothing to do with check-in.

Edited by steelers36

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Sorry but does not compute as group cards are for regular passengers.  They may have group cards for late Platinum arrivers.  When we were there last as Platinums we were upstairs but had arrived early and I know not all Platinums may fit up there and others may have to wait downstairs.  This is Terminal 2 I mean at Port Everglades.  

What Terminal were you in?  They still have Elite and Suites room upstairs.  Someone was doing something wrong if what you say is true.  And passenger with priority should say something on own behalf.

Will see it all for myself next Thursday.

BTW, Medallion Net is the ship's internet.  Nothing to do with check-in.

You can say the cards are for regular passengers but that's not what happened.  You went through sign in and then you went down the hall and were met by someone handing out group cards and you were told where to sit.  No biggie as they were moving people on the ship quickly.  No one really cared one way or the other from what I observed although some elites may have gotten their nose out of joint.  As I was getting on the ship (they called my group number), they added if there were any elites they could get in line as well.  But their status was checked and most of them didn't file on until our group (14) had already gotten on.  The only people that got preferential treatment were those that needed assistance getting on board and they still didn't go in until their group number was called.

As I mentioned this may have been due to various factors including the fact that the terminal was closed for disinfection and we all had to wait until they opened it.  Caught a lot of people off guard.  This was NYC (Brooklyn).  I heard from other cruisers that there were some complaints but that terminal staff "managed" them and basically they were ignored in a polite and professional way and were told that this was the way embarkation was going that day.  Period.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mamkmm2 said:

You can say the cards are for regular passengers but that's not what happened.  You went through sign in and then you went down the hall and were met by someone handing out group cards and you were told where to sit.  No biggie as they were moving people on the ship quickly.  No one really cared one way or the other from what I observed although some elites may have gotten their nose out of joint.  As I was getting on the ship (they called my group number), they added if there were any elites they could get in line as well.  But their status was checked and most of them didn't file on until our group (14) had already gotten on.  The only people that got preferential treatment were those that needed assistance getting on board and they still didn't go in until their group number was called.

As I mentioned this may have been due to various factors including the fact that the terminal was closed for disinfection and we all had to wait until they opened it.  Caught a lot of people off guard.  This was NYC (Brooklyn).  I heard from other cruisers that there were some complaints but that terminal staff "managed" them and basically they were ignored in a polite and professional way and were told that this was the way embarkation was going that day.  Period.

Thank you for clarifying that it was an exceptional situation.  I am not familiar with NYC terminals, but Princess should maintain normal boarding order as much as possible IMO.  We were in Port Everglades once (T2 actually) when Island was having a deep clean and although we were all held up for a later boarding, they did have passengers grouped and certainly the initial boardings followed normal protocol. 

It also reads as though you did not arrive very early as you mentioned people moving onto the ship fairly quickly after you checked in and reached the seating area.  I suspect that earlier arrivers who were Elite or Suite were on board first.  At least that is what I would expect.

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

Thank you for clarifying that it was an exceptional situation.  I am not familiar with NYC terminals, but Princess should maintain normal boarding order as much as possible IMO.  We were in Port Everglades once (T2 actually) when Island was having a deep clean and although we were all held up for a later boarding, they did have passengers grouped and certainly the initial boardings followed normal protocol. 

It also reads as though you did not arrive very early as you mentioned people moving onto the ship fairly quickly after you checked in and reached the seating area.  I suspect that earlier arrivers who were Elite or Suite were on board first.  At least that is what I would expect.

Here's another example for you.  Our Alaska cruise this year … yes they had a platinum/elite seating area but it wasn't a "lounge" but chairs in a section right next to everyone else.  And because they needed the space they told passengers to go ahead and sit wherever they could find a chair.  Platinum/Elite did not have any kind of group card/number identifying them.  So when they called the next group of platinum/elites after the area had filled up (again), they simply dumped everyone in that section regardless of captain level into the boarding line.

It happens.  It really is no big deal from my observations except to some elites with a gazillion cruises that feel like it is a big deal, that their loyalty entitles them to the above and beyond and all that.

I expect to see this happen more and more.  It is inevitable from a logistics stand point.  Cruise lines are trying to embark more and more people during the same amount of time.  They don't enforce embarkation times in the terminal.  Everyone shows up when embarkation starts and the terminal staff have to flush everyone through as quickly as possible to prevent long lines from building up.  It's just gonna happen that the soft handling of the elites is going to fall by the way side as an absolute.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 1:44 PM, voljeep said:

on a typical 7 day cruise  the jump to the highest level might be worth around $ 200 ( 50 minibar, 2@75 laundry)

but prestige wise ... priceless ( at least to some ) :classic_ninja:

Personally, one of the less financially tangible benefits that I find pretty valuable is the use the much shorter "Elite & Suite Passengers" line at Passenger Services. If I need to use it, it is particularly excellent the night before disembarkation! Gotta say that not spending 30-45 minutes+ standing in line is a pretty nice benefit! That's not about status for me, but rather a much more efficient use of time. 😉

And hey, the mini-bar and the laundry doesn't stink either.  😁

On 10/29/2019 at 12:23 PM, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

now if only they could make it priority tendering to return to the ship THAT would be a real benefit!

otherwise ... meh

Don't need priority, just need to know the tricks. Such as in Lahaina, you go to Pioneer Inn grill and bar, have a cold one and wait for the end of the line. Wait staff know the game and have your tab ready about ten minutes before the last tender. Pay your bill and walk right on, No Waiting!

• Like 1

We were just in Lahaina last week.  We were told to go to the Explorers Lounge (bar was closed) while other pax were sent to the midship MDR to get tender tickets.  It is useful if one needs to get off the ship quickly to catch a private tour.  

We were on the CB in November 2018 when they first started to use the OM.  We received ours at checkin and all they needed to do was scan in our passports.  We were given a card (black I believe) and sent upstairs to join the other elites waiting to board.  We like to be among the first to board and get our vacation under way.  We used the OM to leave and return to the ship, buy items in the gift shops and of course enter our stateroom.  Bars were still using the card.  Internet worked great entire trip to Caribbean.  I was getting 100 mbps up and down on the internet service.  

• Like 1

Interestingly, I don't see the point of rushing to Elite... Platinum, give you most things.....

and the other thing which works.... is get a suite.... and short circuit the whole thing.....

So you get everything that elite get minus the internet minutes.... but you get a great breakfast which elites don't get........... and you can do it on a Blue Card......

Cheers Don   

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 9:06 PM, getting older slowly said:

I was only joking about the white card or medallion   ( post 20 )

was about this for an idea

Rainbow status163387401_CAPTAINCIRCLELOGO_1_coloured.jpg.8de3eaa7264ace9f3bc1fa714deaf473.jpg

Also really not care about the colour, as long as I am on a cruise

Cheers Don

Ps If being in front is so important get a suite.

Would this be for everybody or just LGBT cruisers. Simply love the idea Don, imagine pulling your specially requested rainbow card and trumping everybody unless someone else did too.  You could both shout snap!

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 10:04 AM, skynight said:

As one that has been Elite for 10 years I would suggest you look at the financials. Other than laundry and a mini bar very little $$ benefit.

There is a 10% store discount which can be a lot on jewelry and watches.

In my experience, the one-day cruises aren't generally worth the hassle, even if you are looking for the status boost.  I've been on two of them (Vancouver to Seattle) and they were both on days when Vancouver had 3 or 4 ships in port.  Canada Place is notoriously bad at handling high-volume turnaround days, and both of those involved several hours of waiting in various lines (security line, check-in line, customs) to board.  On the first one the ship left two hours later than scheduled because there were still over 400 passengers in the lines a half hour before the scheduled time for muster (I heard some passengers had waits of as much as 4 hours.)   The second one wasn't nearly as bad (at least most of the waiting was in an area with seating) but still took us over 2 hours from arrival at the pier to the gangplank.  My wife and her sister did another one this year (I sat it out, no particular need to go) and this time were able to skip the wait at security with NEXUS cards,. and boarded much quicker than on the previous ones.

Never done a suite (our budget generally puts us in interiors) but I think the best suite perk would be the ability to order MDR food for room service.

Edited by Vexorg