NCL Free at Sea drinks question

Jerda

We usually cruise with Royal, but I am considering an Alaskan cruise with NCL in 2021 and have a question about the "Open Bar" offer.   

We will be sailing with our 2 children, and while I understand that the open bar offer is for guests 1 & 2, does that mean I have to purchase the soda package for my kids?  Or are they covered with the free at sea deal?  

Thanks! 

We just booked June 2021 Alaska cruise yesterday.   I asked about the drink package. The price you pay is $138 per person for bartender gratuity. Our 16-year-old son cannot use the drink package but we can buy an $8 plus 20% gratuity a day drink package for him. ($67.20).  

6 hours ago, Rsavtechcruise said:

Package perk covers only guest one and two when taken as a perk you are not required to buy for all in room but if they are soda drinkers and are going to drink more than like 2 sodas a day recommendation then would be to purchase the soda package for each of them

Depending upon the age of the kids it is also very convenient for them to be able to get their sodas without the parent going and purchasing them one at a time.Depending upon the age of the kids it is also very convenient for them to be able to get their sodas without the parent going and purchasing them one at a time.

1 hour ago, waterjock said:

Just a note a soda package for one. A allows you to order 2 sodas at  a time. At dinner and at bars I have ordered 2 sodas and  given the other to someone in my group.

Folks need to be careful. The drinks package is not transferable and if you are caught defrauding the cruise line by ordering drinks and giving them away, your package will be cancelled without refund. 

• Like 1

The NCL cruise line is known as the nickel and dime line. Can you see some one coming over to you and saying i saw you handing that 2nd soda to your friend and say where taking away your soda package. We charge 4 dollars for that soda even thought it cost us pennies So where going to ruin your vacation that you payed thousands for by calling you out, Of cause are rules say beverage package must be bought by both people in the cabin but soda package can be sold as a single..But i understand Bird Travels point of view you are bending the rules but i do not think this is something the cruise line has any problem with.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:13 AM, BirdTravels said:

Folks need to be careful. The drinks package is not transferable and if you are caught defrauding the cruise line by ordering drinks and giving them away, your package will be cancelled without refund. 

I have seen this happen.  The guests were not happy but thats a risk you take

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I try to warn people who think/post about sharing. Hopefully, someone will record what happens when someone is caught and post the video on YouTube. 

You are allowed to get 2 drinks at a time using just one card. We always take the drink package for both of us. So if my husband orders 2 drinks at the bar and gives one to me back at our table should I expect someone to come up to me and demand to see my card? I wouldn't be very happy to be challenged like that. Has this happened to anyone?

You can get two drinks per trip to the bar, or per request from the waiter. They do NOT care if it is your card or not. Several times I mixed up the card and went out with my wife's card, and they just called me by my wife's name.

Every time at a meal when I ordered drinks for two they asked for a card but they could not care less which card was handed to them. Nor could I. It is a great policy.

17 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

In that case, you both have a package. 

The problem comes when giving drinks to those who do not have a package. 

Just decide how much soda the kids will drink. They are kids and they will do what you say, so if you limit them to a soda at dinner then pay a la carte, and if you want them to enjoy it all day long get the package.

You can also just bring them sodas to the cabin with your package... nobody will know or care. The problem with that is 1) they have to consume in the cabin and 2) you could be bringing yourself alcohol so why waste time and energy with soda? Not worth the effort most likely.

I have cruise over 150 days at sea all with NCL. After years of reading all the helpful tips and reviews i decided to give my thoughts on cruises with NCL. I have read many negative reviews  on ships that i have been on 5 times and had a great vacation.Now in retirement i thought i could give my thoughts on cruises with NCL.I have seen dozens of people take two alcohol drinks from the bar and give one to another person i do not think that right, But come on sharing a soda that cost them pennies is not something they want to address.If they wanted too they could say 2nd  3rd and 4th person in the cabin must also take the soda package as they do with the beverage  package.

43 minutes ago, waterjock said:

I have seen dozens of people take two alcohol drinks from the bar and give one to another person i do not think that right, But come on sharing a soda that cost them pennies is not something they want to address.If they wanted too they could say 2nd  3rd and 4th person in the cabin must also take the soda package as they do with the beverage  package.

For soda, NCL probably doesn't care. Sharing  does prevent them from making about $4 profit per soda, though.

Yes, many people do "gift" alcohol without getting caught.

However, as reported above, people have been caught gifting alcohol and have had their package revoked. It does happen. To avoid it happening, it's best to advise people to not do it.

Imagine posting "...sure, go ahead and share..." and the person reading the post ends up getting caught. I wouldn't want to knowingly give someone bad advice.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.  My kids are young, so less worried about soda, but they may want some sort of fancy non-alcoholic slushy drinks or chocolate milk etc. Sounds like its best to limit them to 1 a day and just pay for it.  

Thanks! 

22 minutes ago, Jerda said:

Thanks everyone.  My kids are young, so less worried about soda, but they may want some sort of fancy non-alcoholic slushy drinks or chocolate milk etc. Sounds like its best to limit them to 1 a day and just pay for it.  

Thanks! 

They couldn't get that with the package anyways - soda package is just soda. Chocolate milk should be found for free in the buffet though, I think (don't drink it).