Flying to Rome in May

hbennett56

We are getting ready for our first Med Cruise end of May 2020.  Leaving out of Tennessee.  I  can pretty much get a layover anywhere.  What have been your favorite airlines to fly into FCO with?  Also trying to figure out if we want to spend our 4 days BEFORE cruise departure or 4 days AFTER 9 days Med cruise.  Just looking to see what others experiences were like.

Have flown to FCO several times, and will again next May as well. We have flown UA and Air Canada out of SFO. We have connected in FRA, Toronto, and next May, at Dulles. There is no airline flying a non-stop from SFO.

You could do 4 days at one location (like Rome) before and 4 days at another (like Venice or Florence) after. Or in some other order. That is what  we would do. Venice and Florence are easy to get to by train.

With jet lag you need a few days to recover. So highly recommend at least a couple before.  We often feel ready to go home after a cruise.   

Not sure from Tennessee, but our friends recently got a great deal from SFO to Rome via Istanbul on Turkish airlines, and we’re able to upgrade to business.   

We prefer to fly via London or Frankfurt. 

1 hour ago, hbennett56 said:

What have been your favorite airlines to fly into FCO with? 

This is a very open ended question with lots of potential factors.

Tennessee is a big state so which airports are you looking to leave from? What class of travel are you looking at?

I recommend going in ahead of time for several reasons.  

First it's good to fly in ahead just in case something happens and the flight is delayed/cancelled.

As mentioned you get over the jet lag so when your cruise begins you are rested.  I think this is very important and on a Med cruise with so many ports you want to be rested and ready to go.

If this is your first time to Rome I would spend the four nights there. There is so much to see and often people go around way too fast and don't take the time to smell the roses.  

We enjoyed four nights in Rome before a cruise last September and this was not our first time to Rome.  So much to see and do.

Keith

Whatever you do, fly in at least 1 day before the cruise; too much risk of something going wrong and missing the ship if you fly in the day of.  That said, I'd spend more time pre-cruise than post-cruise.  Before the cruise you'll be excited and adrenaline will be pumping.  But after a 9 day cruise, likely full of sightseeing, you'll be getting tired and thinking of home.  I have always enjoyed our pre-cruise add-ons more than our post-cruise add-ons for that reason.  So I would either do all 4 nights pre-cruise, or 3 nights pre-cruise and 1 night post cruise if staying an extra day afterward gets you a better deal on airfare or means you can take advantage of an earlier morning flight.

If you've never been to Europe, definitely spend time in Rome as there is lots to see, and spending a few days there means you don't have to cram all your sightseeing into 1 day; you can spread it out and enjoy it more.  Alternatively, a few days in the Naples area would be my 2nd choice.  If your cruise stops there, you'll see all kinds of excursions that try to include everything...Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri for example.  But those mean some REALLY long tours and you get limited time everywhere you go.  You could easily spend 3 days pre-cruise in Sorrento for example, and visit Pompeii, Capri, Ischia, etc. from there.  The train from Naples to Rome is easily doable.

4 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Alternatively, a few days in the Naples area would be my 2nd choice.  If your cruise stops there, you'll see all kinds of excursions that try to include everything...Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri for example.  But those mean some REALLY long tours and you get limited time everywhere you go.  You could easily spend 3 days pre-cruise in Sorrento for example, and visit Pompeii, Capri, Ischia, etc. from there.  The train from Naples to Rome is easily doable.

This would absolutely be my choice. Honestly, despite my love of history, I am not a huge fan of Rome...but the Sorrento area is truly amazing, and I absolutely love it down there. 

• Like 1

Airlines - it's going to depend on where you are willing to do your Transatlantic section out of...  I've flown nonstop from JFK to Rome, on Delta and Alitalia.  Business class.  I've also done Air France to CDG then regional to Rome.  All have been just fine, and I'll give a little more to Alitalia for their cabin and in-flight service.  

I"m a little torn on when to spend your time.  I like 2 days on the front end to get used to the time and environment.  

I left Rome yesterday after a week there.  3rd time there this year   So much to see and do.  I’m in Barcelona now 3rd trip here too.  I will have done 5 med cruises this year.   They are port intensive.    I’d suggest the 4 days in Rome before your cruise.  

I am flying out his afternoon to Rome on Air France through Paris. I have also flown the NS Alitalia flight to Rome. Both in business and both were excellent flights. Always prefer stopovers in Paris before going to the med but do not fly on US airlines.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:31 AM, Budget Queen said:

I left Rome yesterday after a week there.  3rd time there this year   So much to see and do.  I’m in Barcelona now 3rd trip here too.  I will have done 5 med cruises this year.   They are port intensive.    I’d suggest the 4 days in Rome before your cruise.  

Budget Queen, did you do anything way out of the ordinary you would recommend? I  am flying to Rome today for four nights before a cruise and am looking around for something different since I have been to Rome at least 15-20 times. Not that I dont have my favorite sites and repeats to see, and shopping/wandering around is also fine, but just wondering If there is anything significant I have missed. I am going to Basilica San Clemente this time and taking a food tour of Trastevere but no explicit plans other than those.

Have you been to the catacombs?  I recently did Priscilla and Agnes.   ((less visited by massive tour groups).  Aqua duct?    I have multiple downloaded walking tour apps.   And really enjoy the details.   I’ve done a couple of Trastevere that were superb as well as across the River of the Jewish Quarter.     So much to see and do.    

6 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Have you been to the catacombs?  I recently did Priscilla and Agnes.   ((less visited by massive tour groups).  Aqua duct?    I have multiple downloaded walking tour apps.   And really enjoy the details.   I’ve done a couple of Trastevere that were superb as well as across the River of the Jewish Quarter.     So much to see and do.    

i have been to the catacombs, took a tour with a private guide to the Jewish Area, been to Trastevere many times including the flea market. I am mapping out a tour to take to some of the Byzantine churches I havent seen, after I visit St Clemente, so hopefully I can pull it off. unfortunately there is rain forecasted for every day but one, which does put a crimp in your style there as there arent as many museums there as some other cities. But like I said, I have my regular repeats I always visit, so wont be bored, thats for sure.

thanks for your help,

Anne