One Ocean Expeditions- restructuring

schnapperin

Hi,

anyone booked on One Ocean Expeditions should check out their current Facebook post, it seems that the company is in trouble.

According to Posts the last trip could‘t start because of not paid fuel bill, passengers are waiting for over 100 days for refunds and so on.

The company has been in trouble.  Rumor is that it started when they ran the Ioffe aground (accidentally, sure) and then they lost off of those bookings.  Then Russia took the ships back.  The word on the street from One Ocean is "we signed a contract" but the rumors involve not paying.  Apparently the RCMP "arrested" the boat in port this summer for some non payment.  I've heard of a tour agent who is out $1 million (CAD) due to the One ocean mess.

I loved LOVED my trip on One Ocean last year.  I thought the staff was great, the boat was amazing, and that I picked the perfect trip for me.  But, it was cheaper than other boats, and still small.  The Resolute would not have been the boat that I picked because it was >100 passengers.  Most of my friends from the sailing wanted to do the Arctic with One Ocean, but don't feel like we can right now.  Maybe in a couple years everything will be fixed, but I doubt it.  I wish them, and their employees good luck.

One Ocean was a charterer of the Russian SHIPS & would have had little or no control of the SHIP'S staff.

As for RCGS Resolute they would only be an agent for passengers.

WHY do you call these vessels - BOATS???

RCGS Resolute.jpg

14 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

One Ocean was a charterer of the Russian SHIPS & would have had little or no control of the SHIP'S staff.

As for RCGS Resolute they would only be an agent for passengers.

WHY do you call these vessels - BOATS???

RCGS Resolute.jpg

Hi!

Clearly you haven't been on One Ocean.  They distinguished on our voyage between the "crew"- the Russians- and the "staff"- the naturalists and photographer and doctor hired by One Ocean.  

Also, as for the pedantic comment about boat vs ship, we are on cruise critic.  Normally I sail on the Royal Carribbean ships.  They're ~20-35x larger by gross weight than the cute little Vavilov.  There's no definitive break between the boats and ships, it's all about perspective.  From wikipedia "Historically, a "ship" was a sailing vessel with at least three square-rigged masts and a full bowsprit. Ships are generally distinguished from boats, based on size, shape, load capacity, and tradition." I see no masts on the Resolute.

Do you have anything to add other than misusing words?

• Like 1

I worked in the Merchant Marine for 45 years & I can tell you that a vessel that carries cargo or passengers over the worlds oceans is a SHIP & part of the world wide SHIPPING industry fleet that moves 95% of the world's freight.

There is a break between boats & ships - one is above, size has nothing to do with it.  

Ships are measured in Gross Tonnage that is a measurement of VOLUME & has nothing to do with weight.

Why are you on about ship rigged sailing vessels - they have nothing to do with merchant ships today.

As one Princess master said at his cocktail party "you can put a boat on a ship - but you can't put a ship on a boat.

Captains & ships officers react negatively to passengers that ask about the boat!  See attached - the lady master is from USA. 

Do not call it a Boat says Capt. Kate McCue [38] [USA].jpg

• Like 1

Meanwhile, passengers on the next OOE trip supposed to leave Ushuaia on Nov6th are starting to get notice that their trip is cancelled. This really does not bode well for OOE, and their staff, crew, ships, boats, and passengers.

I read today that One Ocean lost their IAATO accreditation due to not paying dues.  This is really not good, and my heart goes out to anyone who is supposed to be on one of their ships.  I hope that they can find space on another ship at this late date, and that travel insurance helps them do that.  I know when I went last year I was in such a narrow window, that I don't think I could have found another trip.  

Unfortunately, at least for upcoming trips, travel insurance cannot do much unless One Ocean officially cancels the trip (which so far they do not do apart from the Nov 6th departure) or declares bankrupcy/insolvency, which they do not do either. This is a real mess.

No idea if links to facebook are allowed here but if anyone knows anyone affected by this a group has been set up for people to share information. The group is called Updates on One Ocean Expeditions. Over 400 members in just a few days. Not just passengers, but also travel agents, staff, suppliers etc

On 11/8/2019 at 4:25 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

Their ship RCGS Resolute is in BA since 27th October.

The Resolute itself is 'under arrest' (Argentine term). Per a series of articles in Argentine newspapers the past few days. 

www.infobae.com/sociedad/2019/11/01/un-viaje-de-20-mil-dolares-y-cientos-de-turistas-varados-la-historia-del-crucero-que-iba-a-la-antartida-y-aun-no-partio-de-buenos-aires/?fbclid=IwAR2zZG3Qojmx7dQSLHP-K3XJStZBKbdvyTlkLAtfhxuDbOJDZsJnhxPLYvw

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

One Ocean (...) has gone into administration.

I actually don't think they already have (although I'm pretty sure it's going to happen). All the information we have is their latest communication towards their clients, which says they will shortly take such step, but so far there is no proof that has happened (and especially no name of a trustee, which is what affected passengers really need to go forward).  The recent news releases are only based on this latest communication (sometimes wrongly interpreted). You can see the group referenced by Perfectly Perth above for the latest information.

• 1 month later...

RCGS Resolute has left BA & heading north along the coast of Brasil.

Unkown eta of 15th March - for orders.

The owners of the ship may have cleared the depts in BA & have control of the vessel again.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...