Mr Sancho's or Playa Mia?

mvh

Unless you have toddlers who will love the kiddie splash area at Playa Mia, Sanchos is tied or the winner in every category (especially food!).  I would also look at Paradise Beach, especially if you do not need the AI option for food/drinks - better facilities, HUGE pool, and IMHO better food/drinks/service than Sanchos.

On 10/29/2019 at 3:56 PM, mvh said:

Which do you prefer?  Which is better for the following?

beach

crowd

food

drinks

pool

atmosphere

service

anything I may have missed

Thanks,

Any particular reason you're only looking at those two and not Nachi Cocom? Because, it's either just as good or better in every area that you asked about, unless you're looking for a spring break type of atmosphere. If you want a laid back atmosphere, it's Nachi Cocom. If you want more of a party vibe, it's Sancho's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

Any particular reason you're only looking at those two and not Nachi Cocom? Because, it's either just as good or better in every area that you asked about, unless you're looking for a spring break type of atmosphere. If you want a laid back atmosphere, it's Nachi Cocom. If you want more of a party vibe, it's Sancho's.

8 minutes ago, MisterOJ2 said:

That was my first choice.  However, most everything I have read is says the food is poor and the drinks are weak at Nachi Cocom.  Are you saying that is not true?   I don't mind a party atmosphere as long it's not packed with little kids, which I doubt it will be in the middle of January.

Nachi attracts very few kids because they offer no water toys.  IMHO the service, food and drinks at Nachi are much better than what's offered at Sanchos and MUCH better than Playa Mia.  Sanchos offers a lively atmosphere if that is what you want. Nachi is quiet, relaxing and never crowded.  

Your call!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mvh said:

That was my first choice.  However, most everything I have read is says the food is poor and the drinks are weak at Nachi Cocom.  Are you saying that is not true?   I don't mind a party atmosphere as long it's not packed with little kids, which I doubt it will be in the middle of January.

People's preference when it comes to food and drink is subjective. I get that. But, IMO, the food at Nachi Cocom is really good. Not amazing or anything. But, really good. As far as the drinks being weak? I've NEVER heard or experienced that in 8 trips there. Once my brother was with me on a trip there. He asked for a glass of tequila on ice. He though they would give him a little cup with 3-4 ounces poured over ice. Nope! They took out a tumbler, filled it with ice and then filled it to the top with tequila. The mixed drinks are really good too, and if you ask them to make it strong - they will. And you don't have to order off a menu. You just tell them what you want, and if they have the stuff to make it for you, they will.

Mr. Sancho's, on the other hand... I was really disappointed with their drinks. The mixed drinks were weak and they used a weird brand of mixers for all of them that tasted... odd. Everything had a weird artificial sweetener taste to it. And the beer selection was lame. You could pick from two kinds of beer - Sol and something else. I think XX maybe. I can't remember. And they just poured the beer into little plastic cups from 40-ounce bottles. At Nachi Cocom, they have about 7-8 different beers to choose from (all Mexican, btw) and they just bring them to you in a normal 12-ounce bottle.

The food at Sancho's was fine. Not as good as Nachi Cocom, but not bad either. I thought the service was the about the same at both places. Nachi Cocom is a lot less crowded and you get your own spot under a palapa on the beach, which was much nicer than the way they cram everyone together on the beach at Sancho's. The beaches are identical. I really like the pool at Nachi. It's not quite as nice as the one at Sancho's, but it is a lot less crowded.

Clearly, Sancho's isn't for me. But, some people really like it for the lively atmosphere. And some people really rave about the food and drinks there. But, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that has been to both Sancho's and Nachi say that the food, drinks and crowds were better at Sancho's.

Edited by MisterOJ2
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with avoiding Playa Mia—we went last cruise and would never go back.  Drinks were watered down, non-existent beach service and no paddle boards 😞. I haven’t been to Mr Sanchos or Nachi to compare but I think I prefer a place where you pay ala cart.  I love Chankanaab and Paradise Beach.

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions, but we have realized that no matter how hard you want to like something, sometimes you just can't.  There really are no nice beaches or anything else worth seeing  in Cozumel.  It really makes no sense to get off the ship and pay to drink and swim and eat pretty crappy food when we can have the ship to ourselves.  We have been to Playa Mia and I was hoping someone would say that the others blow it away, because Play Mia is an absolute dump in my opinion.  The others may be better, but I just don't think they are going to be exponentially better.  This port seems like a perfect port to take advantage of our drink package on the ship.  Plus, call it what you will, but Cozumel is still Mexico.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mvh said:

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions, but we have realized that no matter how hard you want to like something, sometimes you just can't.  There really are no nice beaches or anything else worth seeing  in Cozumel.  It really makes no sense to get off the ship and pay to drink and swim and eat pretty crappy food when we can have the ship to ourselves.  We have been to Playa Mia and I was hoping someone would say that the others blow it away, because Play Mia is an absolute dump in my opinion.  The others may be better, but I just don't think they are going to be exponentially better.  This port seems like a perfect port to take advantage of our drink package on the ship.  Plus, call it what you will, but Cozumel is still Mexico.

Enjoy your time on the ship. We cruise for the ports - I would choose Nachi Cocom, Paradise Beach or Money Bar any day over spending the day in the ship. It's your call! 😎

Have a great cruise.

3 hours ago, mvh said:

I personally think that Paradise is beautiful. I always love the beaches that have the palm trees closer to the water versus beaches that are just open. Check out my pictures of it on my website...just to see what you think and if it might meet your standards. If not, then have a wonderful time on the ship. :)

PARADISE

15 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Enjoy your time on the ship. We cruise for the ports - I would choose Nachi Cocom, Paradise Beach or Money Bar any day over spending the day in the ship. It's your call! 😎

Have a great cruise.

I agree with cruising for the ports in Europe, but not in the Caribbean.  Is there really any difference between islands?  Yes, there are some beautiful beaches, but other than that it's mostly poverty. After seeing all the islands once, there's really no need to see them again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mvh said:

I agree with cruising for the ports in Europe, but not in the Caribbean.  Is there really any difference between islands?  Yes, there are some beautiful beaches, but other than that it's mostly poverty. After seeing all the islands once, there's really no need to see them again.

Hey, it's your vacation but IMHO sitting around the pool on the ship is not much different than sitting around a standard hotel pool.  We enjoy snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, nature trails, tropical rain forest tours, sailing trips, Mayan ruins, old forts, etc. in addition to beautiful beaches.  After being on the ship with 1000's of others we especially enjoy going to an uncrowded, quiet and relaxing beach club like Nachi Cocom.  

Have a great cruise!  😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 9:10 AM, MisterOJ2 said:

People's preference when it comes to food and drink is subjective. I get that. But, IMO, the food at Nachi Cocom is really good. Not amazing or anything. But, really good. As far as the drinks being weak? I've NEVER heard or experienced that in 8 trips there. Once my brother was with me on a trip there. He asked for a glass of tequila on ice. He though they would give him a little cup with 3-4 ounces poured over ice. Nope! They took out a tumbler, filled it with ice and then filled it to the top with tequila. The mixed drinks are really good too, and if you ask them to make it strong - they will. And you don't have to order off a menu. You just tell them what you want, and if they have the stuff to make it for you, they will.

Mr. Sancho's, on the other hand... I was really disappointed with their drinks. The mixed drinks were weak and they used a weird brand of mixers for all of them that tasted... odd. Everything had a weird artificial sweetener taste to it. And the beer selection was lame. You could pick from two kinds of beer - Sol and something else. I think XX maybe. I can't remember. And they just poured the beer into little plastic cups from 40-ounce bottles. At Nachi Cocom, they have about 7-8 different beers to choose from (all Mexican, btw) and they just bring them to you in a normal 12-ounce bottle.

The food at Sancho's was fine. Not as good as Nachi Cocom, but not bad either. I thought the service was the about the same at both places. Nachi Cocom is a lot less crowded and you get your own spot under a palapa on the beach, which was much nicer than the way they cram everyone together on the beach at Sancho's. The beaches are identical. I really like the pool at Nachi. It's not quite as nice as the one at Sancho's, but it is a lot less crowded.

Clearly, Sancho's isn't for me. But, some people really like it for the lively atmosphere. And some people really rave about the food and drinks there. But, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that has been to both Sancho's and Nachi say that the food, drinks and crowds were better at Sancho's.

I agree with your points. We just did Mr Sanchos in October and enjoyed it, but we enjoy Nachi more.

One thing to remember that in January the water will be a tad chilly, regardless which one you choose.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Travel Mom said:

Sanchos was good. Jan. The pool was too cold. Food eh. Drinks good...make friends with a bartender

Food at Paradise Beach was good - love the "taco truck" they installed.  Food at Nachi is always amazing for a beach club.  Glad you had a good day! 😎

• Like 1