Best way to get to and from Vigie Beach

allentownahoy

How easy is it to get a taxi to and from Vigie. I have heard some taxi drivers try to get you to go somewhere else, perhaps to get a larger fare. I am also wondering if taxis are readily available at Vigie.

Or should I book through Viator or a local company that gets good reviews. Thanks in advance.

14 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

How easy is it to get a taxi to and from Vigie. I have heard some taxi drivers try to get you to go somewhere else, perhaps to get a larger fare. I am also wondering if taxis are readily available at Vigie.

Or should I book through Viator or a local company that gets good reviews. Thanks in advance.

Depending on where you are docked, all you need to do is walk out of the terminal building and there are plenty of government regulated taxis waiting. You can arrange for them to do the return or simply arrange for another near the Vigie airport. It is a stone throw away from the beach. There are plenty of drivers to choose from, if one is giving you a hard time to upgrade just move on to the next. No one controls your pockets.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:18 PM, allentownahoy said:

It's super easy to get a cab, fare is $10 one way for up to four people. 5-7 minute ride. Cabs readily available for return or arrange time for driver to return and pick you up. 

Or, walk. Free, takes about 20-30 minutes, flat, virtually impossible to get lost, etc.  

You absolutely do not need a tour operator or anything like that.  

• 1 month later...

Ugh, I had all the info for Vigie Beach in a spreadsheet, but it's corrupted.  I see that it's $10 each way for taxi up to 4 pax.  Can anyone remind me the prices to rent chairs, buy a bucket of beer, food, etc?  I really appreciate the help!!  Also, when we went a couple of years ago, there were 3 gentlemen who were there and took care of us--are they still there? 

On 1/1/2020 at 4:55 PM, lenetere said:

Ugh, I had all the info for Vigie Beach in a spreadsheet, but it's corrupted.  I see that it's $10 each way for taxi up to 4 pax.  Can anyone remind me the prices to rent chairs, buy a bucket of beer, food, etc?  I really appreciate the help!!  Also, when we went a couple of years ago, there were 3 gentlemen who were there and took care of us--are they still there? 

Beers run $5-6 depending on type, not sure anyone does actual buckets or deals like that, they're just small local vebdors. Chairs run $5. Food rubs $1-20 or so, depending on what you order. Full plate fresh fish meal, $20. A bake (dried bread), $1. And points in between. 

As to whether the same 3 gents are there or not, anyone's guess. Without names or more details, tough to say 

Pricing in XCD, BTW. $2.50xcd to $1 at the street exchange rate. 

• Like 1

Our ship doesn't arrive until 2:00 in the afternoon (we will be there at the end of February). When we were in St. Lucia last year, we chartered a boat to the Pitons. For this visit, we just want to keep it simple -- especially since we do not arrive until later.

If we don't arrive at the beach until 2:30 or so, will chair rentals still be available or will they be wanting to close up? What about the places for food? We're trying to decide if it is going to be "worth it" to head to the beach or if we should just do something else.

10 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Our ship doesn't arrive until 2:00 in the afternoon (we will be there at the end of February). When we were in St. Lucia last year, we chartered a boat to the Pitons. For this visit, we just want to keep it simple -- especially since we do not arrive until later.

If we don't arrive at the beach until 2:30 or so, will chair rentals still be available or will they be wanting to close up? What about the places for food? We're trying to decide if it is going to be "worth it" to head to the beach or if we should just do something else.

The beach, boardwalk and chair vendors will all still be open. The boardwalk places generally are open till sunset, but they'll likely have run out of full meals by then (lunch is the big meal of the day, and lots of the airport staff patronized the boardwalk also for lunch). You'll be able to get drinks and more snack food type stuff though. 

Alternatively, head up to Reduit, full beach Experience, Spinnaker's, Sea Grapes, etc open all day and evening, etc. 

Or Pigeon Island.  

On 1/6/2020 at 11:43 PM, reedprincess said:

The beach, boardwalk and chair vendors will all still be open. The boardwalk places generally are open till sunset, but they'll likely have run out of full meals by then (lunch is the big meal of the day, and lots of the airport staff patronized the boardwalk also for lunch). You'll be able to get drinks and more snack food type stuff though. 

Alternatively, head up to Reduit, full beach Experience, Spinnaker's, Sea Grapes, etc open all day and evening, etc. 

Or Pigeon Island.  

Thanks for the information. We will definitely buy some food/drinks, but we won't need a full meal. I'll keep in mind your other suggestions. We'll probably decide what to do based on what time we do make it into port and the weather. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

Just looking at an aerial photo. Does Vigie beach also include the whole strip along the airport parking lot?

Vigie Beach is the entire beach, from the graveyard south all the way around the point. The boardwalk is across from the airport. The entire beach is public, enjoy whichever section you like.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 11:43 PM, reedprincess said:

Or Pigeon Island.  

I am wondering about what the boardwalk is you are speaking of?

On 2/25/2020 at 10:14 AM, reedprincess said:

Not sure what else to say? Small boardwalk area with restaurants, bars, seating, WiFi, etc.  Across from airport entrance, right on the beach. 

That helps-I was looking for how to get there -sounds like I just need to take a cab to the airprort. Sounds like we can visit local restaurants and store and spend some time on the beach

1 hour ago, happycrafter207 said:

That helps-I was looking for how to get there -sounds like I just need to take a cab to the airprort. Sounds like we can visit local restaurants and store and spend some time on the beach

As noted above, walk (20-30 minutes) or take a cab, $10 one way. You didn't ask that in your question/comment, so didn't provide the info (and it's also beeb answered above in depth  in other comments)..

The boardwalk doesn't have shops, it's a small setup, just some local restaurants/bars, seating, restrooms, etc. 

• 1 year later...

Debating between Pigeon Island and Vigie beach for a port day in November.  
I have taken Cosol’s tour twice (once when he was just starting his business and only owned his own van and lastly a month before he was killed) so just want to chill on a beach this time and reminisce. If we were to walk to Vigie what are the specific directions?

thank you

On 5/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, stunned said:

Debating between Pigeon Island and Vigie beach for a port day in November.  
I have taken Cosol’s tour twice (once when he was just starting his business and only owned his own van and lastly a month before he was killed) so just want to chill on a beach this time and reminisce. If we were to walk to Vigie what are the specific directions?

thank you

It's impossible to get lost. Turn left out of the port areas onto the highway, follow it to the airport, turn right, go around the airport and back down the side on the beach. Boardwalk with restaurants and bars is down by the airport entrance.  20-35 or so minutes walk, 10 minutes cab ride, tops. 

5 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

It's impossible to get lost. Turn left out of the port areas onto the highway, follow it to the airport, turn right, go around the airport and back down the side on the beach. Boardwalk with restaurants and bars is down by the airport entrance.  20-35 or so minutes walk, 10 minutes cab ride, tops. 

Thanks