St Thomas 3 days pre-sailing

sparklplenty

Hi!

My husband and I will be spending 3 days on St. Thomas (Sapphire Bay) prior to boarding SDI on our first SeaDream voyage. We're pretty laid back, outdoorsy folks who'd rather walk a beach or go diving than go shopping.  We've lived abroad and love finding local-frequented, hole-in-the-wall places to eat.  Plus, we figure we'll be getting crazy fabulous fine dining aboard ship 😁🍾🥂🍸, so we're hoping for some laid back local cuisine on the island. Any suggestions for places we should see or great little places we should eat in St. Thomas?   

Many thanks in advance!

You’re going to love SeaDream!! When we were precruise on St Thomas we had a great time night kayaking. The kayaks light the dark waters and you see the big tarpon and other fish. I think the kayaks have clear bottoms if I remember correctly. They offer it thru Frenchman’s Reef but I’m pretty sure you don’t have to stay there to buy the event.  

Welcome aboard!  We sailed out of St. Thomas January 2018, right after the hurricane.  The island was pretty devastated and we were forced to change our plan from staying there a couple of days pre-sail to flying in the morning of sailing.  Hopefully, much has been restored.  One thing we enjoyed and know is still in business is Captain Max.  She has a beautiful sailboat for snorkeling trips.  If that is something you enjoy, I highly recommend it.  She has a website and I would advise booking in advance because of her popularity.

On 10/31/2019 at 12:52 PM, JSADesigns said:

You’re going to love SeaDream!! When we were precruise on St Thomas we had a great time night kayaking. The kayaks light the dark waters and you see the big tarpon and other fish. I think the kayaks have clear bottoms if I remember correctly. They offer it thru Frenchman’s Reef but I’m pretty sure you don’t have to stay there to buy the event.  

Thanks for this tip, JSADesigns!  Night kayaking sounds incredible!  Folks do it up here in the Pacific NorthWest for the bioluminescence, but to be able to actually look down and see all the critters would be amazing.  I know how we're spending one evening now!

On 11/1/2019 at 6:34 AM, TrapperZimmy said:

Welcome aboard!  We sailed out of St. Thomas January 2018, right after the hurricane.  The island was pretty devastated and we were forced to change our plan from staying there a couple of days pre-sail to flying in the morning of sailing.  Hopefully, much has been restored.  One thing we enjoyed and know is still in business is Captain Max.  She has a beautiful sailboat for snorkeling trips.  If that is something you enjoy, I highly recommend it.  She has a website and I would advise booking in advance because of her popularity.

Thanks for the welcome and for the tip!  We love to snorkel and dive, so this sounds perfect. Can't wait to experience the SeaDream life 😁🍸🥂😎

On 11/13/2019 at 5:45 AM, Piaa said:

Definitely try eating at Gladys' in St Thomas and do take a day to visit St John (I live there) a very short ferry ride away (they run on the hour) and eat at many of our fabulous restaurants.

Thank you, Piaa!  We definitely will try St. Gladys on St.T  Any beach or restaurant recommendations for St. John?

I would make a day of it on St John for sure .. depending when you are there I would try to rent a car (a car for 1 day is not possible to reserve you just need to call the morning you wish to reserve - maybe the day before) then drive the island and head to Francis - you will need to take your own cooler as there is nothing there.  Stop by Trunk (the most famous beach) and go around 4pm as the crowds will be less (and it will be free to get in)  Hit one of the happy hours in Cruz Bay - Cruz Bay Landing is great and then have a great dinner at Extra Virgin (make a reservation) and then get the ferry back to STT (last one leaves at 11pm)  or ... change your reservation and just stay over here LOL

Have fun 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 4:52 AM, Piaa said:

I would make a day of it on St John for sure .. depending when you are there I would try to rent a car (a car for 1 day is not possible to reserve you just need to call the morning you wish to reserve - maybe the day before) then drive the island and head to Francis - you will need to take your own cooler as there is nothing there.  Stop by Trunk (the most famous beach) and go around 4pm as the crowds will be less (and it will be free to get in)  Hit one of the happy hours in Cruz Bay - Cruz Bay Landing is great and then have a great dinner at Extra Virgin (make a reservation) and then get the ferry back to STT (last one leaves at 11pm)  or ... change your reservation and just stay over here LOL

Have fun 

Thank you SO much!  Now I wish we could change our reservation, but sadly we can't.  Next time!