Formal night

envy4u

It is rare that you will have a formal night now, as they now call it Gala which is roughly the same, about 25% wear a Tux if that, the Ladies always look very nice, shame about some of the men not.

You also could have a white night or an Italian night in a ten day cruise.

1 hour ago, envy4u said:

Does Costa inform us? How many people will board with an all white outfit if we are not told ahead of time. Hmmmmm

The Italians all come prepared for white night and most for Italian night too.  I would say this was the least formal cruise we have been on  Costa in the Med 10 nights - had 1 Gala night and one other elegant night (better food that night) as well as white night and Italian night.  However, there were only a few very dressed people for gala night.  one or 2 tux an another few in smoking jackets - a few it suits with tie but the vast were in trousers and open neck shirts.  A few woman in long dresses. the rest in stuff you would wear to a nice dressier evening meal in the UK.

2 hours ago, MrCoachRentz said:

Costa used to have a toga night on the ship.  Do they still?  Was so much fun...

Sadly this was dropped some years ago, was only in the Caribbean and TA back to Europe. As you said was great fun wearing the bed sheets as a toga, as the CD used to say "send him to the lions".

Those days are gone forever.

They are called elegant evenings and there will likely be one plus a gala evening on your cruise. You will only know the evening before when you get your diario di bordo. It will have a suggested dress code. Fragilek that might be why you missed it.

I pack 2 smart frocks and hubby usually takes a smart blazer and trousers. However he now has a suit due to DD getting married recently. I bet he takes that to get his moneys worth🤣.

Most people dress fairly smartly on those evening but I cannot remember when last I saw anyone in a tux. The same applied when we cruised in hotter climates:India, South America and Far East. I cannot believe they would have changed anything from early this year. Europeans love to dress up. I think they spend more money on gorgeous clothes than food sometimes. Lots of really svelte people.

Ron, thank god they dropped the toga parties. Heaven forfend, just imagine running around in sheets at my advanced age.

Riana

1 hour ago, alicat58 said:

Ron, thank god they dropped the toga parties. Heaven forfend, just imagine running around in sheets at my advanced age.

Riana

Riana, beauty is in the eye of the beholder- I'm a great beholder.🙈💥🍻

2 hours ago, alicat58 said:

To this day I can't hear the words Toga Party without being reminded of the movie Animal House.

On a side note my Mother was so glad when I finished university- her sheets were now safe!

I would love to see the Toga party reinstated as it looks and sounds like great fun. Does make me think about Carry On films though - showing my age! I would probably be a dead ringer for Frankie Howard but it would give my wife a great laugh.

I do take a tux usually (it is quite old and pretty tight these days) but I also feel it is getting a bit more unexpected use. I would say it does seem to be appreciated if you do dress up and the Italians always eye up my wife’s evening dresses (probably trying to work out where they have come from!).

I would therefore say, if you have formal attire and can fit it in you luggage, take it and enjoy yourself. If not, do try and at least wear something you’d wear to a smart restaurant.