Shadowmeboy helps close down Alaska on the Bliss!

shadowmeboy

Hey all! Shadowmeboy here! Normally, I start out by saying that Susan and I just got back from x ship to y destination. Well... Susan had to work, Matthew needed a vacation, so Matthew booked a steal of a deal on a late season cruise out of Seattle on the Norwegian Bliss. I know, Shadowmeboy does another Alaska review, yada yada yada. Well, I went, I sailed, and I am here to share what I saw! Who wants Pictures????

Let's get this trip aboard the Norwegian Bliss started!

My wife, Susan, and I love to cruise and do it any chance we can. 

This time was different!

Scan_0060-L.jpg

It was me, myself, and I!

In 2016 we sailed the Norwegian Sun on a Southbound Cruise from Seward, Alaska to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. You can read the review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2529761

The Norwegian Sun is pictured below in Sitka, AK.

i-K5LXBCp-L.jpg

In June of 2017, We sailed the Norwegian Escape to the Western Caribbean. Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2516206

The Norwegian Escape pictured below in Costa Maya, Mexico.

i-hvhzqXD-L.jpg

In December 2017, We sailed the Norwegian Star to the Mexican Riviera over Christmas. Review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2581330

The Norwegian Star pictured below in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

DSCF0515-L.jpg

In June 2018, We sailed the Norwegian Jewel Northbound Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada to Seward, Alaska. Review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2557365-north-to-alaska-shadowmeboys-jewel-shimmering-pictorial-review/

The Norwegian Jewel pictured below in Juneau, AK from the Mount Roberts Tram

IMG_3360-L.jpg

In November 2018, We sailed the Norwegian Bliss on a Eastern Caribbean Cruise out of Miami. Review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2614687-shadowmeboys-blissful-eastern-caribbean-pictorial-cruise-review/

The Bliss docked in Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin islands

IMG_7013-L.jpg

In June 2019, we sailed the Norwegian Dawn on a Canada/New England Cruise out New York City. Review: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2678378-shadowmeboys-norwegian-dawn-canadanew-england-pictorial-review/

IMG_1147-L.jpg

The Norwegian Dawn anchored just outside the harbor of Newport, Rhode Island.

About us: My wife, Susan, is a school teacher and I work for a grocery store. Susan and I have been married 12 years (June 30th)! Due to her school schedule, we cannot sail as much as we would like. Also due to school, she couldn't go on this cruise.

We live in the Pacific Northwest, along the Columbia River on the "dry" side of Washington State among the Apple and Cherry Orchards.

washingtonmap-L.jpg

Most of the pictures in this review are taken with my Canon Rebel T5 DSLR, My iPhone 10R, or a canon g7x.

So Susan said I could go on this cruise under a couple of conditions: 

1. I had to sail a ship we had already sailed together. So that eliminated the Joy. 

2. It had to be an itinerary we have sailed before. We have sailed Alaska 4x before so I got that covered. 

3. I had to leave her the car. No problem!!

4. I had to bring home a 2020 Alaska calendar. OK!

So, I did some research and found a deal on the Bliss, in a studio, on the final Alaska sailing of 2019.

IMG_1983-L.jpg

The Norwegian Bliss docked in Ketchikan, Alaska.

Please feel free to ask questions along the way! I will try to answer them as quickly as I can. This review will be very picture heavy, but I love to relive my journeys through my pictures! I hope you enjoy them as well!

- Matthew

Edited by shadowmeboy
  • Like 9

As all our journeys do, we had to travel to get to the cruise. Susan took me to Wenatchee to catch the train to Seattle. Unfortunately, the train arrives in Seattle at 5:30 in the morning, so we headed down the night before to spend the night. 

IMG_0201-L.jpg

Heading towards Wenatchee

IMG_0202-L.jpg

Crossing the Columbia River

IMG_0203-L.jpg

IMG_0204-L.jpg

IMG_0205-L.jpg

IMG_0210-L.jpg

IMG_0212-L.jpg

IMG_0213-L.jpg

IMG_0214-L.jpg

IMG_0215-L.jpg

IMG_0216-L.jpg

• Like 2

I took Susan out to Olive Garden for Dinner!

IMG_2026-L.jpg

She got soup.

IMG_2027-L.jpg

I had the salad.

IMG_2029-L.jpg

We shared fried pasta with meaty cheese sauce.

IMG_2033-L.jpg

Susan had the Chicken Giardino

IMG_2034-L.jpg

I had the Chicken Parmesan

On our way back to the hotel in Wenatchee, we stopped by the Amtrak station. Amtrak 8 the eastbound Empire Builder was running late, because its head engine had hit a car in Sandpoint, ID that morning. It was late into Seattle, and then it was late coming out of Seattle eastward. So, we got done with dinner right before it was to arrive. We went down to see how bad the damage was on the engine.

IMG_1940-L.jpg

BNSF engines in the BNSF house here in Wenatchee.

Here is Amtrak 8 arriving into Wenatchee with BNSF 4637 leading.

IMG_1943-L.jpg

Amtrak 8 at Wenatchee with a BNSF engine on the front.

IMG_1944-L.jpg

Wenatchee is a engineer change point and a "fresh air stop." Passengers can get off and stretch their legs and get fresh air.

After 8 left, we headed to the hotel and went to bed. 4am was going to come really early!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

Love your reviews. 

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Nclgetawaymenhoney said:

Thank you again for taking time out of your busy schedule to post your review.  Looking forward to it, after back to back Escape cruises we are excited about going on bliss next month!

The Bliss is a lot of fun. Plus, I enjoy doing these reviews!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

I'm looking forward to another of your reviews and some excellent pictures of Alaska, too!

Heather

Well, I hope you enjoy!

6 hours ago, Mira28 said:

Looks like an enjoyable review coming, and love the pictures!

Thank you

September 21st, 2019 - Wenatchee to Seattle

IMG_1946-L.jpg

Downtown Wenatchee at 5am

IMG_0229-L.jpg

on the Amtrak platform waiting for Amtrak 7 - the Empire Builder (looking North)

IMG_0230-L.jpg

Looking South

IMG_0231-L.jpg

Amtrak approaching

IMG_0232-L.jpg

it dims its lights coming into the Station

IMG_0233-L.jpg

IMG_0234-L.jpg

IMG_0235-L.jpg

IMG_0236-L.jpg

IMG_0238-L.jpg

IMG_0239-L.jpg

IMG_0241-L.jpg

Here is the video of Amtrak 8's arrival into Wenatchee

• Like 1

The Empire Builder starts in Chicago (left on the 19th) and goes through Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, and Northern Idaho before arriving in Spokane, WA. In Spokane, the train splits with part heading to Portland, OR and the other part to Seattle.

Since its only 4 hours, I book a coach seat. If you are traveling the full length, I recommend a sleeper compartment. Susan and I have gone Seattle to Chicago on the train. It was a lot of fun.

IMG_0242-L.jpg

pulling out of Wenatchee

IMG_0245-L.jpg

Nason Creek area

IMG_1950-L.jpg

trying to get the fall color from the train

IMG_1951-L.jpg

IMG_1952-L.jpg

The rail line climbs up Stevens Pass paralleling US highway 2

• Like 3

At the top of Stevens Pass, the rail line goes into a 7.3 mile tunnel called the Cascade Tunnel.

Here is a video I shot of the train exiting the Cascade Tunnel, shot from the back window of the coach car.

IMG_1960-L.jpg

We are traveling along the BNSF Scenic Subdivision from Wenatchee to King Street Station in Seattle. This portion of the track is called Scenic, and is what the subdivision name comes from. You can see the views are very scenic!

IMG_0247-L.jpg

IMG_0248-L.jpg

IMG_0249-L.jpg

IMG_0250-L.jpg

IMG_0251-L.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_0252-L.jpg

The changing leaves are cool to see.

IMG_0253-L.jpg

IMG_0254-L.jpg

This rail line was put in by the Great Northern Railway. Great Northern became a part of Burlington Northern which merged with Santa Fe in like 1995 to become the BNSF.

Skykomish is a little town that used to be a huge resource for the Great Northern Railroad. It was a crew change point and when the line was electrified, a power producing plant. Now its a great town to visit and watch trains. I filmed traveling through it on the train.

IMG_0255-L.jpg

IMG_0256-L.jpg

The rail line follows several of the rivers down the mountain.

My friend lives along the rail line, so I filmed passing his house.

IMG_0257-L.jpg

Finally out of the Mountains and Foothills, the land opens up to farms.

Edited by shadowmeboy
  • Like 2

I caught an Uber from King Street to the hotel I was staying at for the night near SeaTac. We always stay there, I know the staff, and its really comfortable.

IMG_1962-L.jpg

West Seattle Bridge

IMG_1963-L.jpg

Highway 509

IMG_1964-L.jpg

IMG_1965-L.jpg

Passing SeaTac Airport

I arrive to the hotel and check in. I get my stuff settled, pack my day bag, and head off to explore!

(I will pick it up tomorrow!)

• Like 3

Shadowmeboy

I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your reviews on your various trips.    I have not yet completed them all but will do so.  I also wanted to say I appreciate your pictures especially those around Wenatchee.   I grew up in Wenatchee/East Wenatchee and currently live in FLorida so when I see pictures from the Northwest, I am thrilled.  The photo of entering Wenatchee certainly brought memories of the hours that as a teenager, we would drive up and down the Avenue to see who was out and what they were doing.  The pictures of Turtle Rock and Columbia River bring back the memories of when Rocky Reach Dam was built and Turtle Rock became the island it is today and Stevens Pass and the Cascade Tunnel (been through it several times)

As a child, my family boated and waterskied around Turtle rock as well as picked huckleberries near both the old Cascade Tunnel as well as the new one.

Anyway, I just wanted to say your pictures bring bac fond memories and I appreciate you showing them.  I left Wenatchee in 1966 but have managed to get back every few years.  Each time there has been so many changes that the Wenatchee, I knew really does not exist any more.

Thanks again for sharing .

Sharon

s_cruiser

Ocala, FL

• Like 2