Suggestions please?

seagazer

Just booked a last minute holiday cruise, then realized my challenge. 10 days, 3 formal nights, 40 lb weight limit on luggage for each of us. It's Caribbean, so daytime bathing suits are easy, but what about formal nights? We aren't buffet fans and like to have a chance to dress up. If hubs takes tux or suit and shoes, he's going to hit 40 lbs without clothes for other nights. I've done black slacks with dressy tops before, but isn't a Christmas cruise going to be more sparkly? Christmas Day is a sea day, so could be a formal night, right? I've read of people wearing holiday finery the entire cruise, even decorating cabins with wreath or tree. What experiences have you had with holiday cruising, feeling and looking festive within luggage restraints? Thanks so much for any ideas!

24 minutes ago, seagazer said:

Just booked a last minute holiday cruise, then realized my challenge. 10 days, 3 formal nights, 40 lb weight limit on luggage for each of us. It's Caribbean, so daytime bathing suits are easy, but what about formal nights? We aren't buffet fans and like to have a chance to dress up. If hubs takes tux or suit and shoes, he's going to hit 40 lbs without clothes for other nights. I've done black slacks with dressy tops before, but isn't a Christmas cruise going to be more sparkly? Christmas Day is a sea day, so could be a formal night, right? I've read of people wearing holiday finery the entire cruise, even decorating cabins with wreath or tree. What experiences have you had with holiday cruising, feeling and looking festive within luggage restraints? Thanks so much for any ideas!

I have posted for years about my cruise wardrobe, with pictures.  I wear chiffon tops in the Caribbean, both during the day and evening.  I have a wardrobe of chiffon jackets for evening, and my dress clothes are crepe pants (for a dressier fabric).  I have black, aqua, and navy for the pants.  You can also buy chiffon skirts, and add the tops to them.Then, I shop online at ebay for chiffon tops.  If you don't sew, then try to buy a brand that you know your size, or you can go to a local store to try on.  Lots and lots of choices, especially in black crepe or chiffon.

This gives you an option for several formal nights with 1 or 2 pairs of pants.

Liz n Me floral jacket.JPG

Seafoam sheer jkt.jpg

Aqua blouse and brown chiffon jacket.JPG

Flowered jacket.JPG

Beige crepe 3 piece with long duster jacket.JPG

• Like 1

First, pack clothes for 5 days and plan to do laundry. That cuts down on a lot of bulk.

Second, a basic black dress can be styled lots of different ways. Dressy toppers, scarves, belts, jewelry...  You can easily wear the same black dress all 3 nights with just a change of accessories.

Third, wear your heaviest stuff on the plane. Don't pack it in your luggage.  If you look around, lots of other people are doing the exact same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

wear the same black dress all 3 nights with just a change of accessories.

Back when we did a few formal I did that.  My mother's vintage rhinestones, a couple of scarves.  Weighed and took up almost no space.

An amusing story.  We were flying from Oakland to Bergen, Norway.  I have a knee length The North Face down coat.  When I was ready to sleep, I put the coat in a pillow case and had the very best pillow 🙂

• Like 3

I'm actually packing this weekend for 1 night pre-cruise, a 24 night cruise, plus 3 nights after.  I'll get everything I need for all of this in a checked bag that will weigh in around 49 lbs.  And, I take a LOT of clothes!  I don't like to take a few things and re-wear them a bunch of times.  I like choices.

Packing with these super lightweight tops lets me take what I need, AND what I want!

We are cruising Princess, so not strictly formal. We just prefer to dress up, as we don't get to in real life. I will try the one dress with accessories idea, just thought Christmas cruises would have a lot of holiday apparel so black would look somber?

i live in the country of Panama, so shopping is very limited. I may have to give up my preferences for reality. But I will be cruising, so why worry!

• Like 1