Any Stores at Pan Am Pier - San Juan

CarolRoy

The duty free store is located after security, across the hall from the check-in counter. But just as you leave this area, there's NCL personnel watching for people coming out of the store to confiscate liquor or beverages other than wine. Remember you're only allowed 1 bottle of wine 750mL or smaller per adult and can be subject to a corkage fee imposed by NCL even if you never take your bottle out of your room.

2 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

Remember you're only allowed 1 bottle of wine 750mL or smaller per adult and can be subject to a corkage fee imposed by NCL even if you never take your bottle out of your room.

NCL permits an unlimited number of bottles of wine to be brought on board, subject to the corkage fee of $15 to be paid for each 750 ml bottle. Here's their policy:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#can-i-bring-alcohol-board

Can I bring alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Bleueyes44,  RCCL does not necessarily use the PAN AM Pier, we were on the Allure last December 2018 and when we arrived for our port day we were docked right downtown across from the Sheraton Hotel. 

The PAN AM pier is quite a hike  to the right and in what I call no man's land.  Not touristy at all over there.  While the downtown pier is right in the thick of it all and if memory serves me the CVS on the main drag there had wine for sale as well as spirits but you cannot bring liquor on board however, wine was fine as long as you pay the $15 corkage fee if it is a port day and not embarkation day.

3 hours ago, pink845 said:

Bleueyes44,  RCCL does not necessarily use the PAN AM Pier, we were on the Allure last December 2018 and when we arrived for our port day we were docked right downtown across from the Sheraton Hotel. 

The PAN AM pier is quite a hike  to the right and in what I call no man's land.  Not touristy at all over there.  While the downtown pier is right in the thick of it all and if memory serves me the CVS on the main drag there had wine for sale as well as spirits but you cannot bring liquor on board however, wine was fine as long as you pay the $15 corkage fee if it is a port day and not embarkation day.

RCCL always uses the Pan Am pier for embarkation of ships that sail from San Juan. That terminal was basically built for them years ago and they are going to remodel it very soon. Those docking just for a port stop use the docks in Old SJ.

I'm not sure why the Pan Am pier would be in "no man's land", though. No, it's not in the center of "touristy" SJ but it's besides a Municipal and cargo airport, the PR Convention center, a Sheraton and two Hyatt hotels (and an Aloft currently under construction), a Longhorn Steakhouse, an Olive Garden and a Sizzler. Not bad for the "no man's land" part of town!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

RCCL always uses the Pan Am pier for embarkation of ships that sail from San Juan. That terminal was basically built for them years ago and they are going to remodel it very soon. Those docking just for a port stop use the docks in Old SJ.

I'm not sure why the Pan Am pier would be in "no man's land", though. No, it's not in the center of "touristy" SJ but it's besides a Municipal and cargo airport, the PR Convention center, a Sheraton and two Hyatt hotels (and an Aloft currently under construction), a Longhorn Steakhouse, an Olive Garden and a Sizzler. Not bad for the "no man's land" part of town!

Stinger,

Looking for restaurant recommendations from "a local" in the Condado area?  We have been to OSJ and sort of know which one''s to go to there.  this trip, we are staying in the Condado area.

18 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

I'm not sure why the Pan Am pier would be in "no man's land", though. 

Some Americans are more delicate than others.  I have walked several times from Pan Am to Old San Juan.  I do not recommend it because it's long and hot but I find the paranoia overripe.  

On 11/4/2019 at 7:08 PM, hrmkr said:

Stinger,

Looking for restaurant recommendations from "a local" in the Condado area?  We have been to OSJ and sort of know which one''s to go to there.  this trip, we are staying in the Condado area.

What type of food are you looking for?

1 hour ago, hrmkr said:

Authentic local cuisine.  Not tourist traps

Three restaurants come to mind, all near each other on Ashford Ave. in the Condado area: Ropa Vieja, 1950 Puerto Rican Cuisine and Yerba Buena. They're all located across the street from the Marriott Stellaris. Ropa Vieja is actually right in front of the hotel, the other two a short walk left of Ropa Vieja.

22 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

Three restaurants come to mind, all near each other on Ashford Ave. in the Condado area: Ropa Vieja, 1950 Puerto Rican Cuisine and Yerba Buena. They're all located across the street from the Marriott Stellaris. Ropa Vieja is actually right in front of the hotel, the other two a short walk left of Ropa Vieja.

22 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

Thank you.

How far are these from the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel?  We are staying in an airbnb right across the street

15 hours ago, hrmkr said:

Thank you.

How far are these from the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel?  We are staying in an airbnb right across the street

Not far at all. All are within walking distance from the Vanderbilt. If you're facing the hotel, you'll be walking to the right along Ashford Ave.