Please Help Me Decide Which Offer Is Better

bvocruise

Which Promotion/Price Package Would You Select  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which Promotion/Price Package Would You Select

• Option A
    • Option B

My wife and I have a D5L Alaska Cruise/Tour booked for Jun of 2020.  

Option A:  We currently paid $6,850 for a balcony which includes:  $600 OBC, Pinacle dinner for two  and internet for two.

Option B:  The new promotion prices out at $7,125 and includes:  Drinks for two (does not specify which), a Denali meal Package (no details), and a White Pass Summit Scenic Rail Excursion (which we plan to take either way).

I am open to opinions and suggestions.  Either option come with about $500 back from the travel agent.  My TA called it a toss up.

Your OBC will more than cover the White Pass Summit Excursion.  You can see the prices on the Rail's page, the cruise lines don't usually add anything to the public price.  I don't drink so take that with a grain of salt.  If you have a decent cell data plan you will have internet in every port.  

2 hours ago, bvocruise said:

Option A:  We currently paid $6,850 for a balcony which includes:  $600 OBC, Pinacle dinner for two  and internet for two.

Option B:  The new promotion prices out at $7,125 and includes:  Drinks for two (does not specify which), a Denali meal Package (no details), and a White Pass Summit Scenic Rail Excursion (which we plan to take either way).

I am open to opinions and suggestions.  Either option come with about $500 back from the travel agent.  My TA called it a toss up.

Its "The Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per guest per day, including service charges, a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced at US$11.00 or lower. Guests must order beverages one at a time and must be 21 years or older for alcoholic beverages"

We are going in June, just for the cruise part and it would be 40 dollars more for us. 

I'm not sure what the value of Denali meal package is.  We are only there for a few day.  I'm thinking of keeping what we have and just purchasing a few drinks.  We originally had the Explore 4 with the drink package. The cruise went down quite a bit when the next Explore 4 came out.

I think we will just week what we have but am still undecided.

You still sound as though you can't make up your mind.  Are you losing the perks from Option A if you select Option B?  If you keep all perks from Option A plus get those in Option B, select B.  No brainer. 

If you lose those perks in Option A going with B, go with A because it carries $1100 onboard credit ($600 from HAL and $500 from TA) versus only $500 OBC from TA with Option B if I'm interpreting the offers correctly.  OBC to me always trumps other offers such as excursions because with that amount of OBC, you can purchase some excursions and drink packages.  

$600 OBC can be used for gratuities, shore excursions, and any expenditures during the cruise portion.  The $500 from your TA should be returned to you if you don’t spend it.   The Denali meal package for option B probably includes your meal on the train and vouchers to eat at the two restaurants at the McKinley Chalets...breakfast and dinner while you are there.  Option A is the better deal and keeps your options open for where you want to eat in Denali.  

36 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

$600 OBC can be used for gratuities, shore excursions, and any expenditures during the cruise portion.  The $500 from your TA should be returned to you if you don’t spend it.   The Denali meal package for option B probably includes your meal on the train and vouchers to eat at the two restaurants at the McKinley Chalets...breakfast and dinner while you are there.  Option A is the better deal and keeps your options open for where you want to eat in Denali.  

Thank you, I was kind of thinking the same thing. Plus it is $400 plus less expensive.  We are not heavy drinkers and will enjoy the internet being included, although I heard it does not work well in Alaska.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:01 PM, bvocruise said:

We are not heavy drinkers

Period.  That should take B off the table.  The drink package is only a perk if you plan to really utilize it.  Sure it can be used for specialty coffees etc but if you don't drink - that perk has no value to you.

More OBC and lower starting price... A all the way.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:55 PM, bvocruise said:

First thing I'd do is call HAL (or have TA call HAL) to get particulars on Option B.  Without that info, there's no way to determine which is the better financial offer.

On 11/1/2019 at 12:55 PM, bvocruise said:

I would pass on Option B.  That way you could book the White Pass Summit Excursion separately so you can book the Luxury Option.  We took the luxury option (yes it costs more $185PP extra) but it is well worth it.  Instead of bench seats like a school bus, you have upholstered swivel chairs with arm rest.  Only 16 passengers.  A dedicated tour guide for your car, not one shared by several other cars.  Plentiful refreshments including sandwiches, wine, beer, etc.  My son and his took the standard excursion, we did the luxury.  Plenty of room on the platform to take pictures.  Simply no comparison.

27 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would pass on Option B.  That way you could book the White Pass Summit Excursion separately so you can book the Luxury Option.  We took the luxury option (yes it costs more $185PP extra) but it is well worth it.  Instead of bench seats like a school bus, you have upholstered swivel chairs with arm rest.  Only 16 passengers.  A dedicated tour guide for your car, not one shared by several other cars.  Plentiful refreshments including sandwiches, wine, beer, etc.  My son and his took the standard excursion, we did the luxury.  Plenty of room on the platform to take pictures.  Simply no comparison.

The Luxury Option sounds great!

2 hours ago, bvocruise said:

The Luxury Option sounds great!

If you're having difficulty in choosing between A and B, option A allows you to take the Luxury Tour.  Seriously, best excursion we've been on.  Having a dedicated tour guide for the sixteen passengers in your car allows a much better interaction with the guide where you can ask questions as you go along.  Plus the seating is so much better.  The refreshments were very nice as well.