June 6, 2020 London (Greenwich) to Reykjavik

Elizaweaver

Thank you Mysty. Have another minor question for you.

if you wanted to have a picnic at one of the port cities, can the butler arrange for that? Something as simple as like a sandwich and a piece of fruit? A few of the places look so beautiful that just taking in the scenery might be a way to spend the time.

I think it depends on what port you are thinking about.  Some places do not allow food to be taken off the ship.  Australia, for example, is very strict about that.  I'm not sure if the ports on this itinerary will be more lenient.  If the port allows it, then yes, you could ask the butler to arrange something for you.  Give them advanced notice though.  🙂 

And the weather may not be the most promising for a picnic.  😞   These temps are for the month of June.

Average Temperature           Rainfall

June 8 Leith (Edinburgh), United Kingdom            17 C                                 9 days        

June 10 Invergordon, United Kingdom                   15 C                                9 days        

June 11 Lerwick, United Kingdom                          13 C                                 9 days        

June 12 Tórshavn, Faeroe Islands                          11 C                              11 days    

June 13 Day at sea

June 14 Seydisfjordur, Iceland                                 13 C                                8 days        

June 15 Djupivogur, Iceland                                     10 C                                7 days        

June 16 Heimaey, Iceland                                        11 C                                12 days    

June 17 Reykjavik, Iceland                                       12 C                                 9 days    

Edited by mysty

12 hours ago, Elizaweaver said:

If you wanted to have a picnic at one of the port cities, can the butler arrange for that? 

The short answer is yes, as long as food is allowed off the ship.  And, you’ll be amazed at what they will create for you.  Much, much more than a simple sandwich and piece of fruit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mysty said:

I think it depends on what port you are thinking about.  Some places do not allow food to be taken off the ship.  Australia, for example, is very strict about that.  I'm not sure if the ports on this itinerary will be more lenient.  If the port allows it, then yes, you could ask the butler to arrange something for you.  Give them advanced notice though.  🙂 

So true. Your comment brought back a memory of Australia and the time a very cute beagle sat on my feet in the inspection area because of a backpack I was wearing. My husband understood immediately and told me not to pet him because he’s working. When the agent came over to check it there was no food in it, but must have been a lunch from an earlier time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mysty said:

And the weather may not be the most promising for a picnic.  😞   These temps are for the month of June.

Average Temperature           Rainfall

June 8 Leith (Edinburgh), United Kingdom            17 C                                 9 days        

June 10 Invergordon, United Kingdom                   15 C                                9 days        

June 11 Lerwick, United Kingdom                          13 C                                 9 days        

June 12 Tórshavn, Faeroe Islands                          11 C                              11 days    

June 13 Day at sea

June 14 Seydisfjordur, Iceland                                 13 C                                8 days        

June 15 Djupivogur, Iceland                                     10 C                                7 days        

June 16 Heimaey, Iceland                                        11 C                                12 days    

June 17 Reykjavik, Iceland                                       12 C                                 9 days    

Yikes. That’s nippy. In that case maybe a flask of hot chocolate to go with a lap blanket.

These are averages. Yes it can be that cool in the Northern isles and Iceland in June. However 3 years ago my daughter and I sailed a very similar itinerary in late June and we had 24-27 degrees except for one day, when it rained and was only 12!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clodia said:

These are averages. Yes it can be that cool in the Northern isles and Iceland in June. However 3 years ago my daughter and I sailed a very similar itinerary in late June and we had 24-27 degrees except for one day, when it rained and was only 12!

Thanks Clodia!  Yes these are averages.....as is clearly mentioned.  In the absence of other data, averages provide an idea of what might be expected.  We all know that predicting the weather is much like reading goose entrails.  🙂  Glad that you and your daughter had great weather 3 years ago!  Here's hoping that we get lucky in 2020!

Edited by mysty

18 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

The short answer is yes, as long as food is allowed off the ship.  And, you’ll be amazed at what they will create for you.  Much, much more than a simple sandwich and piece of fruit.

I've been known to have my butler supply me with some fruits & veggies to take ashore as treats for the horses when I've gone riding.  Even after telling him nothing fancy, he would still come back with something impressively elegant!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pf778c said:

I've been known to have my butler supply me with some fruits & veggies to take ashore as treats for the horses when I've gone riding.  Even after telling him nothing fancy, he would still come back with something impressively elegant!

How cool!  It’s been a couple of years since I road regularly. Was thinking about it for upcoming trip. Have you ever gone riding in Iceland, Shetland Island, etc?

On 11/15/2019 at 2:22 PM, pf778c said:

How cool!  It’s been a couple of years since I rode regularly. Was thinking about it for upcoming trip. Have you ever gone riding in Iceland, Shetland Island, etc?

Edited by Elizaweaver
Typo

We will be staying in London for a few days before the cruise. We have been there many times and my husband could not find any major sites in the city guides that he hadn’t already seen. Does anyone have suggestions on unknown venues that would be fun to spend time visiting?

For sure we will go to the National Gallery and St Martin in the Field for a day, but is there some hidden gem you would recommend?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Elizaweaver said:

We will be staying in London for a few days before the cruise. We have been there many times and my husband could not find any major sites in the city guides that he hadn’t already seen. Does anyone have suggestions on unknown venues that would be fun to spend time visiting?

For sure we will go to the National Gallery and St Martin in the Field for a day, but is there some hidden gem you would recommend?

Thank you.

The British Museum is my favourite. I Could spend weeks in there! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elizaweaver said:

We will be staying in London for a few days before the cruise.

Thank you.

If the weather is kind, walk to the top of Primrose Hill for views of the City.  A short stroll from there is Camden, always an interesting spot.

Marylebone High Street is also worth a visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Elizaweaver said:

How cool!  It’s been a couple of years since I rode regularly. Was thinking about it for upcoming trip. Have you ever gone riding in Iceland, Shetland Island, etc?

No, but I'd love to!  I've always wanted to do an inn to inn riding vacation through Scotland someday, but mainly just a few hours of trail riding here and there whilst on cruises.  I did however, do a ride through Rajasthan with Relief Riders International years ago, which was pretty grueling at times!  It was a new route, so we often found ourselves getting lost and not finding our way to the next camp until after dark.  I also did a trail ride in Vermont on Icelandics a few years ago which was fantastic.  Love that tolt!

While cruising, I've managed to find reputable stables in the UAE and Greece, Central America, and throughout the Caribbean.  That's the tough part; vetting outfitters sight unseen and making suitable arrangements.  *Once*, I went on a Silversea-sponsored riding excursion, which spawned the horrifying realization that the term "nose to tail" is not mere sarcasm.  I was falling asleep, my horse was falling asleep.  I'm just glad it was one of the "included" excursions Silversea was offering shortly after Hurricane Maria in order to sponsor tourism in the area.  To be fair, they did take pity on me and took me for a gallop down the beach once we finally plodded back to the stable, although I did find it unnerving to be galloping on a horse trained to ignore all commands from its rider and blindly follow the "lead" horse.

Usually I'm the only riding nut, but I did meet up with a woman on the Whisper not too long ago who hadn't ridden since she was young, but was game to join me, and we had a lot of fun!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing those great experiences.  Am going to try to find opportunities at least once to ride on our upcoming trip. Found some wonderful videos on YouTube of a riding school outside of Reykjavik that would be the best way to experience the countryside and see waterfalls.

Happy Trails!