Norwegian Star misses Dubrovnik on 2/11 with technical issues

ajd1969

57 minutes ago, BaWBarmy said:

There was no access to I95 at the time we were doing the tour, something to do with it being blocked off by engineering temporarily.

This kind of lends more credence to there being an ongoing overhaul when the incident happened, as I-95 would be where the vast quantities of spare parts, or parts removed from the engine for reconditioning ashore, would be staged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Why do Princess and HAL include the Engine Control Room and the Bridge on their Behind the Scenes tours yet NCL does not? 

Differences in each line's ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) plans, based on what corporate, class, and the P&I club decide as being prudent security measures in these "restricted areas".   Each company has its own risk tolerance, so each makes their own plans.

• Like 2

There is a tight schedule with only a few hours break between the end and beginning of scheduled cruises.

It will be a momentous decision by NCL to take the Star out of action for even a few days for repairs.

The ripple effect down the road would encompass at least canceling one cruise.

• 2 months later...

NCL travel agents denies anything wrong with Star and tells me not to believe what I read on the Internet.  HA!  Why won't NCL come clean with the truth about the Star's problems and save her passengers a lot of heartache and anger by missing ports that are much anticipated.  I am very disappointed with NCL.  We are thinking of cancelling our September cruise around United Kingdom, a buckle list item of mine.   

30 minutes ago, Gaterp53 said:

NCL travel agents denies anything wrong with Star and tells me not to believe what I read on the Internet.  HA!  Why won't NCL come clean with the truth about the Star's problems and save her passengers a lot of heartache and anger by missing ports that are much anticipated.  I am very disappointed with NCL.  We are thinking of cancelling our September cruise around United Kingdom, a buckle list item of mine.   

We have booked a September cruise on the Star also. I will be watching reports as we get closer to the final payment date. It would be a bummer to have to cancel.

7 hours ago, Gaterp53 said:

We are thinking of cancelling our September cruise around United Kingdom, a buckle list item of mine.   

How long ago did you book this cruise?  Did you not read about the Pacific disaster of 2017 and the more recent problems?  Sorry to hear it is on your buckle list.

7 hours ago, Gaterp53 said:

Welcome to CC.

There are several threads on this site regarding the Star. I am hoping to go on a bucket list cruise thats scheduled on the Star as well, but I am taking a wait and see approach to it. Your cruise is not until September. There is plenty time to make an informed decision about that cruise. Happy planning! 

42 minutes ago, mugtech said:

How long ago did you book this cruise?  Did you not read about the Pacific disaster of 2017 and the more recent problems?  Sorry to hear it is on your buckle list.

Unfortunately I did not know of the problems before booking and my non NCL reservationist did not warn me of any issues.   The NCL Star is not on my  bucket list but the cruise around the UK is.  

19 hours ago, RNRcruisers said:

We have booked a September cruise on the Star also. I will be watching reports as we get closer to the final payment date. It would be a bummer to have to cancel.

Pretty sure you'll be in the clear, there's a dry-dock scheduled for April to resolve these issues.

7 minutes ago, hallux said:

Pretty sure you'll be in the clear, there's a dry-dock scheduled for April to resolve these issues.

Hallux ... Do you mind my asking where you got the information about the dry dock?  NCL has the Star listed as traveling transatlantic in April, in fact from April 9 thru April 23.  I know they told us on our cruise in November 2019 that the issues would be repaired by the time we docked in Barcelona, before they set sail across the Atlantic ... that did not happen.  So just wondering since they are taking bookings for that cruise in April.  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, hallux said:

@AZ Lady in one of the other threads going on regarding the ship.  In fact - that April 9 TA was supposed to be April 19, but they canceled at least one cruise and shifted the TA to earlier.

Thanks, Hallux.  There are quite a few threads and I missed that post.  I am a loyal NCL cruiser but with all this that happened and the obvious non-transparency to passengers that are booked I am actually looking at other cruise lines.  Perhaps their cancelling of at least one cruise and shifting the TA cruise came from the backlash they are getting not only online but through passengers emailing/writing to them.  I hope they are taking note because I do like NCL.  Thanks again!  

Paula

The Star will go in for 60 days of maintenance in April.

Have been notified that the ship will not be cruising at full speed when repairs are completed so our 85 hours of shore time in the Norway fjords (June 2020) will be reduced by 21%.............

On 11/9/2019 at 10:12 PM, The Wanderer_112358 said:

Well, sooner or later the ship will have to come out of service to replace the dead engine and I believe from what I have read that means cutting the hull to remove and replace that bad engine. No quick turn around.

The question is, do you do it now while in Europe or later while in the U.S.

will be out of service for 60 days starting April 2020.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:29 AM, AZ Lady said:

Thanks, Hallux.  There are quite a few threads and I missed that post.  I am a loyal NCL cruiser but with all this that happened and the obvious non-transparency to passengers that are booked I am actually looking at other cruise lines.  Perhaps their cancelling of at least one cruise and shifting the TA cruise came from the backlash they are getting not only online but through passengers emailing/writing to them.  I hope they are taking note because I do like NCL.  Thanks again!  

Paula

The reason for the date change is documented in the other recent threads about the Star as well as information about the work on the ship coming up in April.