Boarded Edge Yesterday—First Impressions

GeorgiaPeach51

21 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Hcat and LEESRE, thanks for the info on Cunard!    Very encouraging.  I shared your comments with my husband and he is encouraged!  We have been Celebrity fans for so long that it feels very audacious to suddenly wander over to Cunard and Oceania next year!

BTW, if you are a Bingo fan, unless it pops up in the next 6 days, it is totally missing in action. I don’t miss it, but in case YOU do, I’ll report back if it appears. 🤔

Today was a relaxing day. I hope yours was a good one, too. 

Thanks......we are counting down.  Weather has turned bitter cold here (  L.I NY..) ..can't wait to get some sunshine!   

Someone  on  our roll call received an e mail from Celeb saying there will be full customs and immig review ( mostly crew?)  Plus a Coast Guard Inspection.  Told to come at 12:30 thru 2:30 ....Sailaway at 3:30.....seems tight to  me.  We'll go a bit early...hoping to get a seat ..bringing snacks.  Gen waiting area is small and  uncomfortable seats...no food.

Here's where having a suite is helpful...nicer area plus food and drink!  Maybe next time!

Thank you so much for sharing you wonderful pictures and experiences with us and taking the time to post them for all of us!

All those Edge pictures have underlined my aversion  against  X- s new offspring! Those balcony´s are more like little- LITERALY LITTLE wintergardens. An outside cabin with the possibilty to open the window- nothing more nothing less!

So many lounges with now view out to the sea- except for Eden- which looks stunning!

I fear i have to stick with Cunard for the time beeing! I dout they will change Apex to my liking!

I was a huge huge X- fan and sailed them for almost 15 years exclusivly. The Elite Plus perks are nice- but do not lure me back anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Hcat and LEESRE, thanks for the info on Cunard!    Very encouraging.  I shared your comments with my husband and he is encouraged!  We have been Celebrity fans for so long that it feels very audacious to suddenly wander over to Cunard and Oceania next year!

I hope you will do some comparison reviews of all three lines. We are also thinking of branching out. Thank you.

Mike981, I will do that for sure. I’ve jotted notes about what I do and don’t like on this one so I will be interested myself in seeing what the differences are, and will share when it’s all done. 

Below is a photo from the Martini Bar last night. One is a 25 year, one is passion fruit or flower...can’t remember.  

BTW, I wish Celebrity had updated or changed those old, stale tasting bar snacks, the one with wasabi peas. 

Also, BTW, I took a look at the menu for the Eden restaurant. It appears to be a four course deal. You choose either Raindrops or Descending Frost. Then between Enlightening or Namaste. Then between Tidal Pool and Cove. Then between Life After Death and Mangalitsa.  Ugh. Between the smell and all this foo-foo stuff it makes me annoyed for some reason. Just not my thing!  The space itself is very appealing. I’m just not a fan of the theme, but by golly, they followed through with it across the board. Have not seen the interactive performers yet since the smell makes me want to walk away. 

34FFE949-B69B-4322-BA84-9383E61E2F88.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I hope you will do some comparison reviews of all three lines. We are also thinking of branching out. Thank you.

Our cruise on Cunard was a short July 4th holiday cruise   to Canada from NY and catered quite a bit to the US  clientele on board...Not a long enough time on board to make a comparison other than what I mentioned above,  and knowing we hope to do a QM 2 crossing sometime .. And while it has  nice outdoor areas & pools,  it seemed more suited to our itin or  a crossing than a Carib itin.  A friend took one of those and agreed

I forgot to mention that we also enjoyed the spa and thermal suites by Canyon Ranch and the true T pool!

Edited by hcat

Do they still have the Saganaki (melted cheese) appetizer in Cyprus? I've seen it on some sample menus but not others. Was the sea bass quite good - I was hoping for a whole roasted fish (like in Greece😉) but I guess it's filets. Have they happened to have the whole roasted fish in the OV cafe that you know of? They did that one day on our last cruise - I think the day after we left the Azores? and it was delicious.

Thanks for all the info - we board next Friday.

59 minutes ago, suec12 said:

Do they still have the Saganaki (melted cheese) appetizer in Cyprus? I've seen it on some sample menus but not others. Was the sea bass quite good - I was hoping for a whole roasted fish (like in Greece😉) but I guess it's filets. Have they happened to have the whole roasted fish in the OV cafe that you know of? They did that one day on our last cruise - I think the day after we left the Azores? and it was delicious.

Thanks for all the info - we board next Friday.

No saganaki last night. The sea bass was very good. The table next to us also got it and liked it. It is thin filets, not a whole fish, but they did have whole fish in Oceanview the other day. I didn’t partake but it seemed to be a hit. They also had fried sardines which I tried but after one curious bite I decided it was an acquired taste. 😘

15 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Thank you so much for sharing you wonderful pictures and experiences with us and taking the time to post them for all of us!

All those Edge pictures have underlined my aversion  against  X- s new offspring! Those balcony´s are more like little- LITERALY LITTLE wintergardens. An outside cabin with the possibilty to open the window- nothing more nothing less!

So many lounges with now view out to the sea- except for Eden- which looks stunning!

I fear i have to stick with Cunard for the time beeing! I dout they will change Apex to my liking!

I was a huge huge X- fan and sailed them for almost 15 years exclusivly. The Elite Plus perks are nice- but do not lure me back anytime soon.

We enjoyed our Inf Veranda.  Kept the  bi fold doors open and faced the veranda chairs inward.  We described it as a Sunroom  or Florida room but now I love  the Little Wintergarden  term....seems perfect! 

Maybe X will take your idea... much better term  than Infinite Veranda.....which is def not infinite!

Trying an EDGE Sunset Veranda..(real balc ) next week 

4 hours ago, hcat said:

We enjoyed our Inf Veranda.  Kept the  bi fold doors open and faced the veranda chairs inward.  We described it as a Sunroom  or Florida room but now I love  the Little Wintergarden  term....seems perfect! 

Maybe X will take your idea... much better term  than Infinite Veranda.....which is def not infinite!

Trying an EDGE Sunset Veranda..(real balc ) next week 

You could go further in your statement....it's neither infinite nor a veranda! I also don't get the point of turning the chairs inward (whether they be heavy, small and uncomfortable or lighter weight, small and uncomfortable) to face into the room. Doing that you can't even see the sea or passing scenery, you can just not be inconvenienced by having to move them to close the annoying bi-fold doors (whether they be frosted or clear). 😢

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Turning them inward makes the cabin feel bigger. 

I understand that, but when booking a cabin advertised as having an Infinite Verandah my minimum requirement is an actual verandah, not a picture window that may or may not partially open. Just my personal preference, no judgement about what may or may not please others. Also, when booking a cruise cabin or hotel room I prefer not to be rearranging the furniture and to be provided with the type of accommodations for which I've paid. This review of perception by OP has been very open minded and fair. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Turning them inward makes the cabin feel bigger. 

Correct,  It  made the cabin area a bit larger ( extended) , and provided a  nice little seating area .  The  reg  couch was near the closet and is  an armless setee, very low to the ground...useless. Can't see the tv from there.

We could turn a chair around to look out  of the closed window, or stand with the window down to look out or  to take photos.  Mostly kept the  window up..fear of a bird flying in with the bifolds kept  open.

It worked  well for us but we are  excited about the Sunset Veranda room,

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

I understand that, but when booking a cabin advertised as having an Infinite Verandah my minimum requirement is an actual verandah, not a picture window that may or may not partially open. Just my personal preference, no judgement about what may or may not please others. Also, when booking a cruise cabin or hotel room I prefer not to be rearranging the furniture and to be provided with the type of accommodations for which I've paid. This review of perception by OP has been very open minded and fair. 

I didn’t say I liked the IV, just that it made the cabin “feel” a little larger.  I didn’t want to expand on that since this is Georgia Peach’s thread and don’t want to hijack it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

I didn’t say I liked the IV, just that it made the cabin “feel” a little larger.  I didn’t want to expand on that since this is Georgia Peach’s thread and don’t want to hijack it. 

I’m not troubled by any discussions you might want to start!  Carry on!  

As we walked around yesterday in the great weather  I found myself very impressed by the ship. As Jim has noted there were ample places to find shade outside. Just not at the Sunset Bar. Very sunny. Can’t imagine a June cruise.  

The only thing thing I don’t like about our cabin is the IV seating. That’s it!  The bathroom is a 10. The storage is a 10. The closet is the same as every other cabin closet. We love the charging station and keeping all those wires hidden. The bed is super comfy. 

I was pondering GermanCruiser’s comments. First, the Future Cruises presentation very clearly stated that Apex will essentially be a clone of Edge. More single passenger cabins and a few passenger facing operations being moved—places like the I-lounge. 

Second, I really don’t recall that many  lounges or bars on S class that had a great sea view. I guess the MB did on one side. A sea view was not a priority in a bar for us. The Sky lounge is replaced by Eden, which I think is fantastic but for the smell. We do miss having places to dance. 

Maybe it is the nature of those of us who cruise to seek perfection!  (Even though we know it doesn’t exist!). With 4 days to go I’m thinking that if the IV is absolutely wrong for you maybe hold out for a suite, if you can afford it, but don’t miss trying this ship.  I’m sure Jim’s experience in a suite and ours in an IV have been very different. But the ship?  It is magnificent IMO.  You will miss out on some wonderful changes. The four dining rooms are a big hit for everyone I’ve spoken with. The app is wonderful. The hand washing stations in the OV are great, and they still have people offering the sanitizer. The auto open bathroom doors are a great improvement and the bathrooms are beautiful. 

Love the the multi level track. We like the Magic Carpet. Especially now that there are wind breaks. I think those who go on Apex are in for a treat since so many quirks and oddities will be worked out from the beginning. But it will be the same ship.

I will gladly go on Edge again. But I would try to swing a suite. Just because we enjoyed it so much. Edge in a suite?  What could be better?!  I can hear some responses already—what about those of us who can’t do a suite?  I know. MAYBE the perfect ship would have been to just leave the balconies alone!  But keep everything else the same. 

Looking forward to reading reviews from those who are boarding soon!

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Thanks 1

The place is always full of people so I’m guessing that the smell doesn’t bother them in the least!  

A few odds and ends.  Ordered a Diet Coke for the first time in OV. See photo. 

For fans of the affogato, not on the menu any more in al bacio. The gelato for a fee is in with the ice cream in the OV. So al Bacio has no source for the gelato for the affogato. 

The food in the OV is better, in our opinion, than our last cruise. As are the desserts. 

800C1C4B-BDDD-49DD-8608-053BAE3CC5E2.jpeg