car rental in Honolulu

autumncruiser

2 hours ago, autumncruiser said:

Can anyone suggest a good car rental company near the port? We are travelling on Azamara in January so not sure where we dock and many of the car rental companies don't seem to run shuttle busses. Thanks

Car rental rates across the Hawaiian Islands can vary significantly from day to day and company to company. That said, we have regularly found Alamo to be the standard bearer for many many years of vacationing there.

BTW, do check Costco's car rental rates as well as the rates available via United Airlines.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:01 AM, Aquahound said:

I'm pretty sure there's an Enterprise a couple blocks from the pier.  

Yes, it's called Kakaako Alamoana location, not to be confused with the Alamoana location. We returned our rental there last month. It's a short few blocks to the port (I could easily walk it) but they do have a shuttle. I think they are closed Sundays and only open until noon on Saturday. Call them for directions, they are kind of hard to find, in the middle of a construction zone and they told us they weren't allowed to have signage on the building.

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, Firepath said:

Yes, it's called Kakaako Alamoana location, not to be confused with the Alamoana location. We returned our rental there last month. It's a short few blocks to the port (I could easily walk it) but they do have a shuttle. I think they are closed Sundays and only open until noon on Saturday. Call them for directions, they are kind of hard to find, in the middle of a construction zone and they told us they weren't allowed to have signage on the building.

Do you know if they have any provision for after hours drop-off , as they shut at 5pm

Have you looked at discounthawaiicarrental.com?  They give you a pretty good idea of what the options are.  I like using them because they usually give you a 2nd driver free of charge.  I use them all the time.  And, no matter what you do, be sure to join the rental car company frequent renter program so that you have access to the expedited lines.  Have fun,  Cherie

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cccole said:

Have you looked at discounthawaiicarrental.com?  They give you a pretty good idea of what the options are.  I like using them because they usually give you a 2nd driver free of charge.  I use them all the time.  And, no matter what you do, be sure to join the rental car company frequent renter program so that you have access to the expedited lines.  Have fun,  Cherie

Thank you, I did look at them, but they are only show Dollar for Honolulu for some reason

44 minutes ago, debsjc said:

Thank you, I did look at them, but they are only show Dollar for Honolulu for some reason

That's too bad.  I did a search for waikiki in March and all the companies they deal with came up.  Cherie

• Like 1

We will be in Hawaii in early April. We booked Alamo for Hilo, Honolulu & Nawilwili airport locations through our TA. I contacted Alamo to  find out about shuttle service at the ports mentioned. I was informed there is shuttle service for Hilo and Nawilwili, but not Honolulu. So, we'll be using UBER for Honolulu unless someone has a better idea.

1 hour ago, Northumberland said:

We will be in Hawaii in early April. We booked Alamo for Hilo, Honolulu & Nawilwili airport locations through our TA. I contacted Alamo to  find out about shuttle service at the ports mentioned. I was informed there is shuttle service for Hilo and Nawilwili, but not Honolulu. So, we'll be using UBER for Honolulu unless someone has a better idea.

See my entry above. Enterprise Kakaako Alamoana has a location right near the port (2-3 blocks away) and had a shuttle the end of October. It would be an easy walk as well. 

39 minutes ago, Firepath said:

See my entry above. Enterprise Kakaako Alamoana has a location right near the port (2-3 blocks away) and had a shuttle the end of October. It would be an easy walk as well. 

Unfortunately, we are arriving on Sunday and that location is closed Sunday's. However, if there are any other car rental locations that are walking distance from the port, I'm all ears. Otherwise, UBER it is.

3 hours ago, Northumberland said:

Unfortunately, we are arriving on Sunday and that location is closed Sunday's. However, if there are any other car rental locations that are walking distance from the port, I'm all ears. Otherwise, UBER it is.

Well, that's unfortunate. I guess it's Uber then.

• Like 1