Carnival Cruise Insurance or Not, Don't Travel without it!

Shaded Lady

16 hours ago, JoSutt said:

Is there anywhere to check how far back the pre existing conditions are counted as.  I had a bleeding ulcer in May??  Would I be exempt?  Can’t seem to find that information.  Thanks 

from TripInsuranceStore  https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-condition-lookback-period/

The Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period is a period of time, usually the 60, 90, 180 days prior to the travel insurance policy’s coverage effective date, that defines a Pre-Existing Medical Condition

If the person with the condition has any symptoms, appointment or visit or consultation with a medical professional, test, diagnosis, medication adjustment or change, then this condition would be considered pre existing.

The Pre-Existing Medical Condition exclusion can not only apply to you, the insured, but, for some coverages, can also apply to your traveling companions and traveling or non-traveling family members. Click here to learn more about who is defined as traveling companions and family members.

Here’s an example:
Let’s say you have high chloresterol. You’re fine now. Your condition is completely controlled with no diagnosis, care, consultations with any medical professional, treatments nor any changes in medication within the time frame required by your plan. Therefore if the condition has remained stable, and all insured’s are medically able to travel when the coverage is purchased it would not be considered a pre-existing medical condition.

Medically Stable means that in the 60, 90 or 180 days (depending on the provider) prior to, and including, the day you buy travel insurance, there can’t have been any medical condition which:

Manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment;

Required the taking of prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or

Required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a legally qualified physician.

If 1, 2 or 3 apply and you’re past the first 14, 15, 20 or 21 days after you made your initial trip deposit or more than 24 Hours after you paid your final trip payment, you won’t have any coverage for claims from that pre-existing medical condition.

So the bottom line for pre-existing conditions is- it depends. You need to read the details on the policy you're considering, but just understand that having had an issue/condition/medical problem doesn't necessarily meet the definition of pre-existing, so you may be okay.

Buyer beware- make sure you read & understand the terms of the policy you're looking to buy.

19 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Someone quoted $50 for medical & evac coverage only.  Where do you find that?  We are looking at Geoblue Trekker for I think $350 or so for a year....

It was not me, but GeoBlue Voyager could fit those parameters.  Unlike Trekker, Voyager is per trip coverage (not annual).  Price is all dependent on trip length, age of travelers, policy limit and deductible.  A one week trip for two 49 year old people costs a little over $52 for the best Voyager Choice plan (no deductible, $1 million medical and $500K evacuation).  

13 hours ago, erdoran said:

Someone quoted $50 for medical & evac coverage only.  Where do you find that?  We are looking at Geoblue Trekker for I think $350 or so for a year....

I get that kind of price because I am foregoing trip cancellation, trip delay, and other niceties that I'm willing to risk and/or self insure

For any single trip policy, I just put the Price Per Person of the trip at $500 (Not the true price). That gives me medical and evac. (If legal in your state, it also is good enough for pre-existing condition waiver)

I choose $500 because for me, the price of the insurance is the same from $0 - $500. The price increases at $501 -$1000 and so on and so on. (Again, this can vary based on your residency)