Sydney hotel location- NCL Dock. Airport transportation

Budget Queen

I have not been to Sydney in several years and never have stayed there. What area should I filter for walkable location for sightseeing and ease of transportation from the airport.  To lodging and to ship. Very comfortable with public transportation and cheap is always a plus.     😀😀😀.      I searched on the NCL site and it doesn’t list the pier address.  This would be for the Jewel. December. 1.   

Thank you 

Per Port Authority of NSW, the Jewel sails from the OPT, so in terms of hotels, anywhere around The Rocks, Circular Quay or CBD will probably fit the bill - where exactly will depend on budget and for how long. We've stayed in a one of the Meriton serviced apartment blocks (Kent St.) when we spent 10 days there and also the Hilton on George St. in the CBD, next to Town Hall Station and opposite the Queen Victoria building for a weekend get-over-jet-lag, pre-cruise, this time last year... We arrived around 8 am at the hotel and obv the room wasn't available, but there was a gym and showers available so we could freshen up and change...

Transport options from the airport depend on how many in your party and / or how much luggage your schelpping... We travel light (carry-on or bust 😎) and have Opal Cards for mass transit anyway, so take the train, but for two with loads of bags AND depending when you arrive, a cab or Uber would probably work as well.

I'd head over to TripAdvisor to check out hotels and forum.

4 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I have not been to Sydney in several years and never have stayed there. What area should I filter for walkable location for sightseeing and ease of transportation from the airport.  To lodging and to ship. Very comfortable with public transportation and cheap is always a plus.     😀😀😀.      I searched on the NCL site and it doesn’t list the pier address.  This would be for the Jewel. December. 1.   

Thank you 

December is peak time so book as soon as possible.

The closer to the harbour will be more expensive but we have a fantastic public transport system so all you really need is to be near a station or wharf.

Rocks and circular quay with a harbour view are the premium areas and are premium prices.

Darling harbour is the pore cousin and is good.water views,ferry service and rail service probably a third the price.

Also CBD and Haymarket.

Do you have a preferred hotel chain?

Edited by Chiliburn

I beg to differ on December before Christmas being peak...  its actually Feb/March due to Mardi Gras, multiple cruise ships and other events..  Of course the week after Christmas including NY is eye watering rates.

I stay in the city quite a bit especially around CQ.  You usually look at around $250-$300AUD  for accommodation at the lower end of pricing in that location.  It's a Sunday night so often lower end of pricing as you aren't competing with Staycation or business travellers who most frequently come in Monday morning,

My picks based on the current rate are Intercontinental and Stamford.   ($280 per night)  In terms of Budget, Travelodge Wynyard is well located at $167pn (right near rail station)  The Russell is around $180pn but some rooms don't have ensures and there are no lifts, 

The twins at Darling Harbour (iBis and Novotel) are $209 and $250pn

My most sincere thanks.    I’m a solo traveler with 1 25 inch bag and backpack.     So from the airport there is a train?    Is the train station near the port?  

A basic single room is just fine.   Location is most important.    If I can avoid cabs-   All the better 😀

I’m heading over to TripAdvisor.   😀

3 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

My most sincere thanks.    I’m a solo traveler with 1 25 inch bag and backpack.     So from the airport there is a train?    Is the train station near the port?  

A basic single room is just fine.   Location is most important.    If I can avoid cabs-   All the better 😀

There is a train from the airport to the city.

There is also a train to Circular Quay if you embark at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, The Rocks, not if you embark at White Bay though.

I think the IBIS would be the lowest price of the hotels listed with prices starting around $120 Aus per night, basic but clean and not a bad spot. museum or town hall stations a pretty short walk. There are other Ibis properties but Pitt Street tends to have the lowest prices.

6 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

From the airport to the port is a direct train line ,7 stops 

As gut said IBIS hotels are a cheap chain but try the Russell hotel in the rocks.A historic pub right at the wharf.

8 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Train stations within both international and domestic terminals. We carry 21" carry-ons and a back-pack on the train to / from the CBD without any problems and assuming yours has wheels you should be fine.

Everything you need to know about public transport can be found on the Transport NSW website. You can now use contactless debit / credit card to pay fares, but since we have Opal cards from previous visits we "tap-on and tap-off" with these. Note, there's an access fee of AUD 14.87 at the airport on top of the fare and a minimum top-up of a AUD 35 at an airport reseller - WH Smith is as good as any (cards themselves are free btw).

Trip Advisor? Good call 😀