What do you like about Regent?

We like the all inclusive nature of the cruise. No nickel and diming. Plus the service is excellent. AND the business class airfare can be quite a deal if your cruise originate in a far away location. 

And the entire cruise is "country club casual."

Edited by Jlhalldc
left something out

That you can do what you want or do nothing at all.  It's your cruise to enjoy, but the service is outstanding.  Crew makes you feel like, "just ask, and the answer is going to be yes.  Also don't need to sign anything expect for the spa and gift shop.

Just to put in my two cents, have been cruising for over 30 yrs.and have been on most of the luxury lines,,Regent is either THE best of ONE of them. Love that ALL is inc.,,,tips, drinks,all restuarants,flights,so you know up front what it will cost. I use a TA that gives back 5% of total cost ,and this adds up when all inc.

Give it a try once and if not pleased,,,never go again. Its that easy.

Used to love Oceania,but they removed all tubs on most of their ships,a deal breaker for me.

Seabourn is great two,but shore exc.not inc.Still go on them due to itinerary.SeaDream,,,tried once and never again.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:51 PM, Luv my furbaby said:

I’ve never been on the line, a little over my price range. 
So to give me some encouragement to book, what is your favorite thing about the line and your least favorite. 
Is each night formal?
thanks - give me some great feedback so I’ll book 😋

What cruiseline do you normally cruise?  If you compare item to item, include a comparable suite, Business Class Air for intercontinental travel, shore excursions, drinks, specialty restaurants, tips, you may find that Regent isn't really that much more than many other cruislines.   Additionally we loved the small, intimate ship.  NO CROWDS! NO LINES!  And the many of the crew will know your name by day 3!  

We were veterans of 34 cruises on mainline cruise lines, most on Royal Caribbean.  We loved our Regent cruise and are thoroughly spoiled.  It's the experience really.  Excellent service, excellent food and variety of food, all inclusive, makes it so much more luxurious and relaxing.  For short getaways to the Caribbean, I'll go mainline.  But for longer itinerary based cruises, we're sticking with Regent.  

No, night is Formal.  Only on cruises of 16 nights or longer (I think) do they have a Formal Optional night.   They do have a dress code though, which we really enjoy.  Docker or better pants and collared shirts for men.  No shorts or jeans after 6 pm except on the pool deck.  

We did 44 nights for our first cruise.  Didn't want to get off the ship at the end.  Could have gone longer.  It was simply a wonderful experience.  We have 2 more long cruises booked, 39 nights in 2020 and 48 in 2021. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 8:46 AM, papaflamingo said:

What cruiseline do you normally cruise?  If you compare item to item, include a comparable suite, Business Class Air for intercontinental travel, shore excursions, drinks, specialty restaurants, tips, you may find that Regent isn't really that much more than many other cruislines.   Additionally we loved the small, intimate ship.  NO CROWDS! NO LINES!  And the many of the crew will know your name by day 3!  

We were veterans of 34 cruises on mainline cruise lines, most on Royal Caribbean.  We loved our Regent cruise and are thoroughly spoiled.  It's the experience really.  Excellent service, excellent food and variety of food, all inclusive, makes it so much more luxurious and relaxing.  For short getaways to the Caribbean, I'll go mainline.  But for longer itinerary based cruises, we're sticking with Regent.  

No, night is Formal.  Only on cruises of 16 nights or longer (I think) do they have a Formal Optional night.   They do have a dress code though, which we really enjoy.  Docker or better pants and collared shirts for men.  No shorts or jeans after 6 pm except on the pool deck.  

We did 44 nights for our first cruise.  Didn't want to get off the ship at the end.  Could have gone longer.  It was simply a wonderful experience.  We have 2 more long cruises booked, 39 nights in 2020 and 48 in 2021. 

Hi There . We have been on many Royal cruises and 1 Azamara and are now thinking we could splash out for Regent and are comparing.. What worries us are: will we never get more than one night in the speciality restaurants on a long 25 day South america cruise in 2021 (Navigator and Mariner go out of Miami) ? Did you feel  you lost out  because you paid the same fare as someone who got the business class free when you did not need to use it? (We sort of thought we would)You seemed the one to ask on this front ? Did you feel it was a class system with the higher priced suite occupants getting a preference over others?   Did you like the shows and musical experience? Could you get speciality restaurant food in the Compass Rose (like you can with some entrees at Royal? Sorry for the barrage. Its so expensive we want to be sure 🙂 Happy Holidays too!

1 hour ago, Sirlancelot said:

Hi There . We have been on many Royal cruises and 1 Azamara and are now thinking we could splash out for Regent and are comparing.. What worries us are: will we never get more than one night in the speciality restaurants on a long 25 day South america cruise in 2021 (Navigator and Mariner go out of Miami) ? Did you feel  you lost out  because you paid the same fare as someone who got the business class free when you did not need to use it? (We sort of thought we would)You seemed the one to ask on this front ? Did you feel it was a class system with the higher priced suite occupants getting a preference over others?   Did you like the shows and musical experience? Could you get speciality restaurant food in the Compass Rose (like you can with some entrees at Royal? Sorry for the barrage. Its so expensive we want to be sure 🙂 Happy Holidays too!

you can book extra specialty restaurants once on board It is very easy to do so and get several on a long cruise. If you don't need the air transportation they give you a credit so you pay less than someone who got "free" air. compass rose usually has a dish or two from the specialty restaurants and my understanding is you can get pretty much anything if you ask in advance. I have never been able to tell who is in a higher price suite by the treatment they get. Some long time travellers seem to know the staff and might get a little special treatment however. I like the shows and music in general but this is a personal thing.

I know the question was directed at someone else but thought I could share my experiences.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sirlancelot said:

1 hour ago, Sharle said:

you can book extra specialty restaurants once on board It is very easy to do so and get several on a long cruise. If you don't need the air transportation they give you a credit so you pay less than someone who got "free" air. compass rose usually has a dish or two from the specialty restaurants and my understanding is you can get pretty much anything if you ask in advance. I have never been able to tell who is in a higher price suite by the treatment they get. Some long time travellers seem to know the staff and might get a little special treatment however. I like the shows and music in general but this is a personal thing.

I know the question was directed at someone else but thought I could share my experiences.

I agree with Sharle on these - you can always try to get additional specialty restaurant reservations on any cruise.  Your chances are better if you offer to share a table (great way to meet new people, IMO).  If you have a butler they can help with this.

And yes, you can take an air credit if you book your own flights.  Keep in mind that you lose your Included transfers if you opt out of Regent air.

While people in the upper suites may get priority boarding and some other perks, I’ve never seen any ‘class distinction’ on any of my 10 Regent cruises so far.  Once onboard, it really is very equitable.

Never felt a "class system" on Regent. We "share" every dinner. I don't think in our 16 Regent cruises we ever discussed what cabin our table mates were in. We always get a low deck, midship cabin because of my propensity for sea sickness. Yes, strange that I love something (cruising) that makes me ill! On a recent cruise, our opposite cabin mates (met at the "block" party) had just spent their 1000th night ($$$$$$) aboard; we discussed our favorite Regent excursions.

We love lunches in the specialty restaurants on the Explorer but don't normally even try for more than the 1 dinner each we book prior to sailing. CR is a magnificent venue; the variety of delicious choices is wonderful.

Edited by DeepFreeze63
word left out
  • Like 1

I've found fairly easy to get additional reservations in the Specialty restaurants, but you have to be flexible about the hour ( usually later). 

No, Ive never felt its a "class system", but frankly i wouldn't begrudge people in the big suites getting preferential tables. 

In the end, if you dont have the budget for it, it doesnt matter why we think its great. If you have the budget, but seems like an "extravaganza", I suggest you sharpen your pencil, and do an apples to apples comparison with the other lines, IE. all inclusive alcohol, cabin size,excursions, airfare, and then see if it makes sense for you. I just know I could never go back to Princess or Royal Caribbean, sorry!

Edited by cruiseluv
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sirlancelot said:

Sirlnacelot,  I had some of the same concerns as you do when we booked our cruise on Regent.  We went "all in" with 44 nights!  It was a leap of faith for sure.  So, here's what I found.  We had 3 reservations (3 b2b cruises) in each specialty restaurant.  That was plenty for us except we did go to Prime 7 one extra time.  But you should have no problem getting extra seatings over 21 days.  However we enjoyed Compass Rose.  I was concerned about 44 nights and meal repeats.  Fortunately there is tremendous variety and you can put together your own meal.  I only repeated a couple because they were dishes it truly loved.  But I never got bored.  We did eat at the Pool Grill a few times and really enjoyed the relaxed environment.  Also did room service a few times and just "chilled" in our cabin and relaxed.  Very nice. 

As has been said, you get a credit if you choose to make your own transportation arrangements.  We did that one way and used Regent the other but with an air deviation.  We were able to pick our own flights with the deviation and will likely forego the included transportation and pay the deviation fee to do so in the future.  Although we also tend to go a few days early and stay a few days in the destination. But it's worth it to me to have my flight confirmed 270 days out and pick my routing and carrier.  

No "class system" at all! We met very lovely and friendly people.  I have no idea what suites any of them were in.  There will always be pretentious people everywhere, but we didn't run into any.  Like any cruise, you'll meet people you "click" with and some you won't. But I enjoyed everyone we met on our cruise. And when you go to dinner in Compass Rose they will ask if you want to share a table or dine alone.  We did both, depending on mood. They placed us at a table for 4 and always found very enjoyable people to dine with.  Great way to meet people.

Entertainment is very speculative.  I'll say it's not Royal Caribbean Oasis Class for sure. But the shows were generally good and fun, a couple we just didn't like.  And over 44 nights there were repeats, so we went and relaxed in a lounge until the show ended and the piano player (really liked him) started up.  But not like the Schooner bar.  More "mood music."  But enjoyable for sure. I would say that I thought the entertainment was equal to a Royal Caribbean Vision Class ship or even better.  And on the small ship, the "cast" is always around and you'll get to meet them and spend time with them.  Very enjoyable for sure. 

Ok...now the "downside."   We've done 2 Oasis class cruises since our Regent cruise. Just not the same.  We've decided we'll only cruise Royal if we do it in a Grand Suite or above so we have all the suite perks.  We'll continue to do Royal Caribbean for cheap, "quick getaways" in the Caribbean.  But we have 39 nights booked on Regent Navigator in June, and 48 booked on Regent Explorer in 2021.  So that should tell you how WE felt about Regent.  I think you'll really love it, we sure did.  The "downside" is, It ruined me for any other non-luxury cruise line. 😎  

Edited by papaflamingo

I agree it is easy to get additional specialty restaurant reservations when you get on board.  Our last two cruises we could have gotten additional specialty restaurants, but we did not really want them.  Yes the food selection is very good, but with reservations comes the requirement to have dinner at a certain time (that you picked a couple days prior).  We really enjoy Compass Rose and the fact that we aren't on much of a time schedule.  The pool Grill is also an option with no need to reserve a table.

For your reservations in a specialty restaurant I suggest looking at the menu ahead of time (in your cabin) plus you will gets lots on menu info on CC.  It is my understanding that there are a couple of items in each restaurant that will not be offered in Compass Rose.  The crab legs were especially good in Prime 7 and finish the meal with a caramel, popcorn, chocolate sundae.  We also enjoyed the tempera lobster in Pacific Rim.

Other things we really enjoy about Regent  -  The very friendly professional crew.  They seem to know when  you are ready for something.  (instead of asking if you want a drink every 5 minutes at the pool etc).  The crew is always friendly and at times when they are not busy, talking with them is very interesting and you learn something about their homeland and past cruising experience.

Regents has always had some great enrichment lectures.  The lowest cost cabins are very large and comfortable.  

We really enjoy the all inclusive aspect of Regents, which also contributes to the service that you receive (don't need the time to run a card to pay for a drink).

We have enjoyed the excursions that we have taken.

The class system, the tiny amount there is, is invisible outside of the suites (butlers in some, more liquor, more restaurant ressies.)  Really democratic feel to the (uncrowded, relaxed) ships.

And as others have said, you get a credit for non-use of Air, at least for North American customers.  You can even get a one-way credit if you choose to use only one-way Regent Air (we did this coming home from South America.)

And for a longish cruise, you'll likely get additional specialty reservations, but really, Compass Rose is wonderful, so don't sweat it.  I particularly like CR on Mariner; it may have changed, but when I was on her the main dining room was somewhat segmented, so it was quieter and had a more intimate feel.

As for evening entertainment, it's not up to snuff compared to the big ships, not on any of the luxury lines I've been on.  So don't go if you need a broadway-like show. However, there's usually good lounge entertainment, and good enrichment lectures, and other special events like cooking demos, wine tastings, things like that.

Oh everyone you have been so extremely helpful!!  THANK YOU THANK YOU...So we booked the April 2021 Navigator South America/Amazon! Took the plunge. Are also Thinking about the fall on the Mariner too even though its the same ports as we just love round trip Miami and there are not many of those (we live a 1/2 day drive away)....

One last question to all you experienced RSS ers...did you get that Yellow Fever Vaccine if you went to Brazil? I read "limited availability in the US" when I consulted various health sites and am not sure when you actually take it (how long before the trip) MANY MANY THANKS. Well you think 34 days will drag on, what about one year plus!!! HEE HEE.

MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL POSTERS! 

we had the yellow fever vaccine from a trip to Africa. Took the round trip Miami cruise last year and saw no mosquitos in the Amazon. Use some insect repellant if you're concerned and long sleeves and long pants and you'll be fine. It is not required.

19 hours ago, Sirlancelot said:

One last question to all you experienced RSS ers...did you get that Yellow Fever Vaccine if you went to Brazil?

For advice on the vaccinations and medication that you may need for your cruise, it would be best to speak to your GP or health professional and also check with Regent as to what documentation they require for the cruise.

We did obtain the Yellow Fever vaccination and certificate before cruising up the Amazon a few years ago.

The advice available on line indicates:

Brazil: Yellow Fever vaccination is recommended for the Amazon. A Yellow Fever certificate is not required for entry into the country. (https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/brazil)

Barbados (I believe this is your next port after leaving Brazil): A Yellow fever certificate is required if travelling from a country with a risk of Yellow Fever transmission (e.g. Brazil). (https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/barbados)

Having had the Yellow Fever vaccination, the certificate is valid for life. If your age or medical condition prevents you from having the vaccine then an official waiver can be obtained.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/yellow-fever

We went to Amazon last year and it was a great cruise.

We got our yellow vaccine through a company called Passports Health travel clinic.  They had access to the European vaccine. Since we now have the vaccine, we have it for any future travel we may be able to do where the vaccine is required.  Before doing this we discussed this with both our GP and the specialists we see.  They said the vaccine was better than the disease.

As said above, we saw no mosquitoes when on the Amazon.  And on excursions I did not see any standing water.  We were on the November cruise.  I had some repellent and only used it once, but again never saw mosquitoes.

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

For advice on the vaccinations and medication that you may need for your cruise, it would be best to speak to your GP or health professional and also check with Regent as to what documentation they require for the cruise.

We did obtain the Yellow Fever vaccination and certificate before cruising up the Amazon a few years ago.

The advice available on line indicates:

Brazil: Yellow Fever vaccination is recommended for the Amazon. A Yellow Fever certificate is not required for entry into the country. (https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/brazil)

Barbados (I believe this is your next port after leaving Brazil): A Yellow fever certificate is required if travelling from a country with a risk of Yellow Fever transmission (e.g. Brazil). (https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/barbados)

Having had the Yellow Fever vaccination, the certificate is valid for life. If your age or medical condition prevents you from having the vaccine then an official waiver can be obtained.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/yellow-fever

Thanks very much for this information. I wanted to find out what people had experienced! It is interesting that Regent doesn't provide much info on this on their site or at least it is not obvious - like the Barbados bit. we have over a year to sort it out! WHEW. Merry Christmas 

On 12/2/2019 at 7:45 PM, Sirlancelot said:

What worries us are: will we never get more than one night in the speciality restaurants on a long 25 day South america cruise in 2021

Navigator only has one speciality restaurant, Prime 7. Although you can only make one reservation in advance you should easily be able to make more reservations once you are onboard a 25 day cruise. As others have said flexibility in timing and willingness to share will always help.

You will also find the dinner menu in Compass Rose to be extensive, with both "always available" excellent dishes and delicious, ever changing, "daily specials".

Although Sette Mari is not our favourite restaurant, some guests love it and we did find the layout & ambience on Navigator to be better than on Regent's other ships .......... so definitely worth trying on a couple of nights of your cruise.

One thing is for sure, you will not go hungry or thirsty on a Regent cruise 😋

So many of you have described why we chose Regent for our long winter getaways. We live on board like we are floating in paradise. Ha ha. So can’t wait to get to the Mariner in San Francisco next month. Wendy the Wanderer explains so well why we choose the Regent experience.  It’s truly worth it on The Mariner for us and we have done a Crystal WC believing Crystal was the “the ultimate”.  We keep going back to the Mariner and our same cabin. Why. It feels like home. Unpretentious. But luxurious.  We can be ourselves and do our favourite activities enjoying the entire cruising experience. We fit like a glove.  So everyone has their own fave Line. Happy cruising everyone. 

• Like 3

On 12/3/2019 at 2:19 PM, Sirlancelot said:

..did you get that Yellow Fever Vaccine if you went to Brazil?

Yes, we did. And we are glad we did. No complications whatsoever and we were over 65 at the time. We were on Oceania's Regatta on a November cruise which is at the end of the dry season. No mosquitos. In the meantime, we went back to the Amazon basin on a land tour, not many mosquitos either except during the 2 1/2 hours wait time for the parrots to show up at the mineral lick. In March 2020 we will return again and this time during the wet season with mosquitoes having had ample time to breed. We will wear long pants and long sleeves and use ample spray on shore. Our Yellow Fever vaccine is still effective. However, there is no vaccine for Dengue Fever. 

If you have no medical issues that prevent you from getting the vaccine, it is a good idea to just go ahead and do it. But better consult your doctor.

By the way, we booked the Regent Mariner World cruise 2021 without ever having been on a Regent ship. I don't think it is risky. 

• Like 1