snorkling with glasses

skifamily7

Im wondering what options I have (if any) for snorkling and being able to actually see stuff if I wear glasses. I cant wear contacts..and buying a perscription mask for one-time use is not really an option..are there masks that you can have your glasses inside? If I dont wear my glasses I will be blind as a bat and might as well just sit on the boat drinking margeritas:rolleyes: .

Any Ideas anyone?

Good suggestion about the sticker for the mask. But, if that's not available:

Are you going on a ship's excursion or thru a dive operation? If it's a local operation, they may have Rx lenses they can pop into a regular mask (you'll need to know your lens Rx). They did this for my hubby when we snorkeled off Key Largo. I know you said you can't wear contact lenses, but could you wear them just for snorkeling? You could get a trial pair of soft, disposable lenses from your eye Dr/optician, and wear them specifically for snorkeling. I know several people who do this. They can't wear contact lenses daily for various reasons, but to just be able to get around for a few hours, they can manage.

I am pretty blind without my glasses, but could still see well enough to enjoy shallow water snorkeling because the water magnifies things. However, I didn't know what I was missing until a dive operator lent me a "prescription" mask in Maui.

When I got home I ordered one on the web for about $70. Even though iI only snorkel once or twice a year, its been a great investment.

At the local dive shops, they stock lenses that fit into the masks - they pop out the lens that comes with the mask and pop in the premade ones. They only come in spherical lenses - no astigmatism correction, but you can come close. I am a -5 Diopter myope, with some astigmatism and I had them put in the -4 Diopter lenses and I can do quite well. It is very inexpensive - it cost less than twenty dollars in total for the two lenses. I made sure to buy a mask which fit the lenses.

I went sorkeling in Grand Cayman, and I am as blind as a bat without my glasses!!!! I was super surprised at how well I seen with the masks they handed out to everyone!!!!

I took them and expected to see nothing (this was my first time ever snorkeling too) and to my surprise seen everything, the white sand the texture of the seaweed and of the coral, the eyes of the fish, I mean everything. I had the time of my life and no special equipment either!!!!

Archived