Skipping a Cruise Leg

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Is it possible to stay on land skipping a sailing leg and meet the ship in another port? We are considering disembarking in Athens, traveling on land through Corinth and meeting up with the ship the following night in Nafplion. This would give us a lot more time to tour instead of having to drive back to Piraeus. I have a question in to the ship to see if this is possible. I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this. HAL told me they've had people leave the ship a day early, but that returning is a new one for them.

Thanks!

It is discussed from time to time on the HAL board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

It depends on the county(ies) involved, but I believe in your question it is fine. You need to advise the ship so they aren't looking for you when you don't return to the ship. You are also responsible for any costs if you are unable to catch up with the ship. And you will not get any fare reduction for the night(s) you are off the ship.

40 minutes ago, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

Is it possible to stay on land skipping a sailing leg and meet the ship in another port? We are considering disembarking in Athens, traveling on land through Corinth and meeting up with the ship the following night in Nafplion. This would give us a lot more time to tour instead of having to drive back to Piraeus. I have a question in to the ship to see if this is possible. I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this. HAL told me they've had people leave the ship a day early, but that returning is a new one for them.

Thanks!

That depends.  Are you talking about two (or three) separate cruises that make up one cruise, and you want to skip one of them?  That may be possible.

Or are you talking about getting off at a port mid-cruise and re-joining the same cruise at a later port? Depending on the cruise itinerary, and ports involved, the answer may be yes or no, depending of the cabotage laws (if any).

Edited by Shmoo here

Be aware of the risk that the ship might fail to port at Nafplion due to high winds, mechanical issues or whatever.

Small risk,  but possible major consequences - so check on the feasibility of catching up with the ship at the next port.

JB :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, All That Jazz said:

Someone recently asked this same question about Japan. Perhaps you should find that thread with the helpful responses.

Except the policy varies by country and cruise line. As I recall, the rules in Japan were very restrictive. I don't believe they will be restrictive in Greece.